ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass Cages question

Default Re: Glass Cages question

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    Yes, it was also rimless. Here is a video of that tank:

As for the stand, it was a wood-only structure. No steel. It simply did not look sturdy enough for me with no support in the back.
    I gotta tell you that your tank is awesome. I really like the rimless look. Beautiful fish as well!!

Should you move the sand? Only if you want sand in your new tank LOL! !@ ! I don't think you'll have any problem with or without the sand. At worst you'll get a mini-spike, you know, a slight bump in ammonia or nitrite, but as the media in your canister are full of beneficial bacteria, they won't have any problem building up to handle the demand. Just monitor the ammonia and nitrite for the first few days, and if you see a spike, just change water more frequently and double up on the Prime, or whatever de-chlor you use. No worries.

You will be fine. Just don't clean the canister before you move it.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    You will be fine. Just don't clean the canister before you move it.
    My plan was to clean the filter 2 weeks prior to moving it to the new tank......does that make sense to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    Should you move the sand? Only if you want sand in your new tank LOL! !@ ! I don't think you'll have any problem with or without the sand. At worst you'll get a mini-spike, you know, a slight bump in ammonia or nitrite, but as the media in your canister are full of beneficial bacteria, they won't have any problem building up to handle the demand. Just monitor the ammonia and nitrite for the first few days, and if you see a spike, just change water more frequently and double up on the Prime, or whatever de-chlor you use. No worries.

I was concerned about the disruption of the sand causing problems in the new tank!

Hi,
    I would "siphon" out the sand and clean it well then put it in the new tank and add a small amount of water first to let the dust settle. jmo

Ardan

Registered Member fishtanktenderfoot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steph

I bought from Glass Cages a 90 Long (48x18x25 Tall) with the Starphire front. I love it, and they were very nice to work with. I live close enough I was able to go and tour their facility before ordering. It helped me pick the 90 over the 67 gallon which I was undecided on at the time. Looking back, I can't believe I ever considered that narrow tank! They have great aquarium knowledge, so best wishes with it and your new fish!

Quote Originally Posted by fishtanktenderfoot View Post
    I bought from Glass Cages a 90 Long (48x18x25 Tall) with the Starphire front. I love it, and they were very nice to work with. I live close enough I was able to go and tour their facility before ordering. It helped me pick the 90 over the 67 gallon which I was undecided on at the time. Looking back, I can't believe I ever considered that narrow tank! They have great aquarium knowledge, so best wishes with it and your new fish!

LOL, i also ordered the 48x18x25, with the star fire glass on the front, however, I didn't have the luxury of picking it up, and the shipping cost as much as the tank. (This new tank will replace the 67gl. narrow tank that I currently have!) Since you already have yours, and I haven't received mine yet, perhaps you can tell me about the difference in the starfire glass, as opossed to standard glass...... Kris
    Last edited by krislewis3; 06-15-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardan View Post
    Hi,
    I would "siphon" out the sand and clean it well then put it in the new tank and add a small amount of water first to let the dust settle. jmo

Ardan

How would you suggest that I clean the sand?

Registered Member

swish it around a 5gal bucket pour off the top until you get to the sand.....repeat.......repeat.......repeat...you get it

Wash with hot water rinse repeat.untill clean

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Quintin View Post
    Wash with hot water rinse repeat.untill clean
    Hi Quintin, I have not found hot water to be needed when rinsing sand.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Personally, sand is so cheap that there is no need to clean it. Simply toss it, and add some new sand to the new tank. Problem solved . I also wouldn't clean the filter two weeks prior unless you've gone a really long time without cleaning it and it is affecting the flow.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member fishtanktenderfoot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steph

Quote Originally Posted by krislewis3 View Post
    Since you already have yours, and I haven't received mine yet, perhaps you can tell me about the difference in the starfire glass, as opossed to standard glass...... Kris
    This is my first and only fish tank, so I don't have anything to compare it to, except the back of the aquarium...? Although the difference is subtle, I do think it contributes (along with the LED lighting) to the vibrancy of the fishes. You won't be disappointed, and it might be more appropriate for you to tell me how you think it compares when you get it. How exciting, though, nothing funner than a new tank! Enjoy!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by krislewis3 View Post
    LOL, i also ordered the 48x18x25, with the star fire glass on the front, however, I didn't have the luxury of picking it up, and the shipping cost as much as the tank. (This new tank will replace the 67gl. narrow tank that I currently have!) Since you already have yours, and I haven't received mine yet, perhaps you can tell me about the difference in the starfire glass, as opossed to standard glass...... Kris
    Kris, the difference between regular glass and starfire glass is the starfire doesn't have the high iron content of regular glass, this makes the starfire glass way more clearer for lack of a better word, you will see the difference when you get your new tank.
    Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution;
    it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny. — Aristotle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast