ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Lens

Default New Lens

I recently bought a new Nikon D5500 with 18mm-55mm kit lens, which I am very pleased with, but on my recent vacation back to the UK, found I really could have used a slighty longer lens.

So yesterday afternoon after some research and review reading, I purchased a DX Nikkor 18mm-105mm second hand for approx $147.00, it arrived this morning, and looks absolutly brand new , came with body caps a hood and UV filter, I will try it out on the camara tonight to make sure everything works.

Couldent see the point in buying a brand new lens for double the price, as I only use the camara every couple of weeks or so, I am hoping I can use this lens and do away with the original.

Default Re: New Lens

I've used the 18-105mm kit lens on my D90 and D7100 for a while and it's a very good lens to carry around. It will render your 18-55mm useless. I got rid of mine and traded up to the 18-200mm for the extra range. The nice thing about the 18-105 is that you can go around without doing any lens change. With the 18-55mm you had, you could have gotten a 55-200 to go with it but that would mean carrying another lens.

You made a fine choice to step upgrade. Personally, I would try to sell the 18-55mm but they are cheap lens and lots of used one out there. Not sure if you would get much.

BTW.. Nothing wrong with buying well cared for used lens, I rarely buy brand new Lens.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I have the 18 to 200mm and it is a nice around lens.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusOnly View Post
    I've used the 18-105mm kit lens on my D90 and D7100 for a while and it's a very good lens to carry around. It will render your 18-55mm useless. I got rid of mine and traded up to the 18-200mm for the extra range. The nice thing about the 18-105 is that you can go around without doing any lens change. With the 18-55mm you had, you could have gotten a 55-200 to go with it but that would mean carrying another lens.

You made a fine choice to step upgrade. Personally, I would try to sell the 18-55mm but they are cheap lens and lots of used one out there. Not sure if you would get much.

BTW.. Nothing wrong with buying well cared for used lens, I rarely buy brand new Lens.
    Lens works fine, looks brand new, so bargain, noticibly heavier and bigger than the 18mm-55mm though, I love the camara and the results, but sometimes feel a bit self concous carrying around DSLR

I will keep the original lens, as a backup in case the other breaks, as you say its not worth trying to sell it on
    Last edited by Blademan; 06-25-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Yes. Doesn't hurt to keep the lens around when you want to go light. The 18-105mm isn't that bad as far as weight goes.

The 18-105 is a very reasonable Dx consumer lens that you got at a very good price (if there are no issues). It will be a good "walk around" lens on your camera. The more you use your camera the less self conscious you will be. AND we expect pictures on this site!
    Here is a good lens review from someone who knows all things Nikon:
    http://www.bythom.com/Nikkor18-105lensreview.htm
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    The 18-105 is a very reasonable Dx consumer lens that you got at a very good price (if there are no issues). It will be a good "walk around" lens on your camera. The more you use your camera the less self conscious you will be. AND we expect pictures on this site!
    Here is a good lens review from someone who knows all things Nikon:
    http://www.bythom.com/Nikkor18-105lensreview.htm
    I have found the lens to do most everything I need, and since I purchased it I have never used the 18mm-55mm, all things considered a decent lens for the money paid