ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 125 updates

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

Default Re: 125 updates

For me one of the great things about this hobby is looking, and finding your own driftwood, im on my second rescape, and have some wood drying right now for almost 2 weeks that i might use to rescape one more time - Lighthouse

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

The driftwood can get pricey. It's definitely nice getting cool looking pieces and trying new scapes. I'm jealous of people that have lakes and streams near them with good sources of driftwood.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Past couple of days a few of my fish have stopped eating and the others aren't eating as aggressively as usual. I've been doing smaller wcs this week and did a 75% change last night. Half way through I noticed that the water was a bit murky so I looked in the aging barrel and there was some white stuff floating on the top and a whit film on the circulation pump. The fish have been shimmying and shaking once and a while. I scrubbed the barrel and put a new pump in and water was clear this morning. Doing a 75% now and another one tonight. I'm wondering if the water company sent something through or maybe it was from the pump I was using. Hopefully some fresh water straightens things out

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Some major changes to the tank. Due to my discus getting sick I have removed all the plants and dither fish and regimes them in my 37. Just driftwood and sand now.

I also changed the sump around. I removed the refugium and added more bio balls and once I get the fish healthy on top of bio media I'm going to have bags of purigen and carbon.

Here is the 37 gal

Real Name
    Jacklyn

the 37 looks awesome crowded with plants! Big tank is screaming to become a biotope tank with tannins, more wood, some scattered leaf litter and a school of cardinals. Looks good really it does.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    the 37 looks awesome crowded with plants! Big tank is screaming to become a biotope tank with tannins, more wood, some scattered leaf litter and a school of cardinals. Looks good really it does.
    I was thinking of going the biotope look. Going to leave it as is and hopefully the discus make a turn around. Still not sure what is wrong with them. They do look better since I pulled the other fish out.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mgus View Post
    Forgot to say, I went with a light tan background. I have a lot of pigeon based fish and since I put the background on and replaced the dark gravel with pfs he fish have become much brighter and have lost almost all of their peppering
    I'm a long time fish keeper but not discus. I hope to study discus in the coming months to see if I am prepared for 'em. Whats the meaning of "peppering"? When/why does it occur?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Peppering is black spots the fish get o oh pigeon based fish get it which are most of the orange and yellow colored fish. It is usually caused by stress to the fish from poor water quality or sickness. And dark substrate or back grounds can chase them to pepper.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

How are you discus doing since the sickness started.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by FishFanMan View Post
    How are you discus doing since the sickness started.
    Things did not go well. Lost all but one fish. I e come to the conclusion that the fish got an internal infection from a bad batch of mysis shrimp. They all became very bloated. I started with large water changes every day with no improvement. I then started meds with no improvement. The two angels pulled through but the discus were a loss. It was a huge disappointment. I ende up breaking down the tank cleaning everything. I don't have the funds for adult discus or the time for juvies so I turned it into a south/Central American ciclid tank with the two angels and just got two small oscars two blue acaras and two fire mouths. Hopefully get back into discus in a year or two.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Wow, I'm sorry for your huge loss. I didn't think discus can die that quickly. I've got one I've been trying to get well for about 3 months now. Hope you can try keeping discus again in the future.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

https://youtu.be/KD7XWudoqNQ

An update ony tank it's been a while. No longer have any discus. Assorted other cichlids and some cats. Tank has been up and running almost two months since I broke it down. I'll be removing some of the fish as they grow. One of the acaras is growing slow and the black Oscar is not turning out as nice as I thought it would.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

A quick low light video
    https://youtu.be/Ong-6Rst9sw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123