ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Beef heart (Steroid Problems)

Default Beef heart (Steroid Problems)

I buy my beefheart in blister packs from local suppliers and feed my discus this 2 times a day , frozen brine shrimp 2times a day , tetra discus bits 2times a day and spirulina flakes once a day sometimes swap bits for ocean nutrition discus flakes.That being said.

A very renowned discus proffesor here in SA posted a thread on a local tropical forum regarding feeding ox heart and the downsides of it in some cases.He states that in our country the cows are fed high steroid food in some cases and this is absorbed in the heart and when feeded to discus can cause problems with male fertility.Makes me worry.

He made me think that perhaps i should source my ox heart from somwhere that can guarentee no steroids.and make my own.do people in USA face this problem too.could perhaps explain the problem with some people trying to breed.

Please share your thoughts on this.Some people here opt rather for game heart aka venison and such.Could Jhon also chime in here as you swear by beef heart sir.i would like the pros and cons experienced by you guys across the ocean.I still feed it but am bit stressed here

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: Beef heart (Steroid Problems)

I heard that same argument about 15 years ago. It did not make me change my feeding habits and I have never had a issue with the fertility of my fish. I do not know the regulations in your country, but here in the states I do not worry about it at all.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

thanks john.i really value your imput.but its typical of our country to steroid up the beef.lucky for my i buy from importers from asia.dnt know if its any better though

Really gotta make my own more often.done it few times.John whats the average lifespan you get from beefheart only fed discus as i hear it can cause health issues and cut thier lives shorter due to obesity livir problems amoung other things

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

I don't often keep old discus but I have had them reach 10 - 12 years of age and spawn as late as 8 years.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Thanx.