AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schooling fish for discus tank

Default Schooling fish for discus tank

Any ideas for schooling fish that I can add to my discus tank?
    I already tried Cardinals but my discus managed to eat and kill a school of 25 fish in 2 days so looking for suggestions fish that are big enough not to get eaten

Default Re: Schooling fish for discus tank

Rummy nose make excellent schooling fish, if you can find them.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Rummy nose are a personal favorite of mine as well.
    President - North American Discus Association

I like rummynose and also lemon tetras. Longfin serpae are nice but they can be nippers, so you have to keep them in a large enough group that they nip each other and leave other fish alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    Rummy nose make excellent schooling fish, if you can find them.
    Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    Rummy nose are a personal favorite of mine as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I like rummynose and also lemon tetras. Longfin serpae are nice but they can be nippers, so you have to keep them in a large enough group that they nip each other and leave other fish alone.
    Do rummynose get bigger than cardinals? My discus ate my cardinals so I'm worried they will do the same with rummynose

They usually end up longer and slightly deeper-bodied than cardinals, IMO. Example:

Real Name
    Jacklyn

since someone mentioned lemon tetras I will throw in my person experience of them. I love lemon tetras, I have 14 of them in a 20long tank. they are a most excellent fish and their coloring is so nice against a dark background. their red eyes really pop against their yellow bodies. I have never put them in with my discus, mainly because they are so happy in their 20 long with their anamo friends. I really like how easy it is to tell when I need to do a water change, their bright yellow starts to pale and I know I need to do a wc. this is a tank that only gets like one water change or two per month.
    ~JACKLYN~

^ Rummynose will do the same. They're sort of like the canary in the coalmine. Their red noses start to fade when water quality is off and they signal that there are issues.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I seem to recall rummynoses being maybe 1/3 larger than cardinals. Lemon tetras are good, skirted tetras might be an option as well. Don't remember how much skirted tetra school though.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Mervin

Anything new going into your tank will smell like a piece of fresh meat,especially if it's smell enough.I have had discus go after and hunt down a school of rummy noses within a few hours.Your best bet would be to hold and feed your tetras in a breeding net or a large fish net for a day or two to take on the chemistry(smell) of the tank.Works a whole lot better.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Anything new going into your tank will smell like a piece of fresh meat,especially if it's smell enough.I have had discus go after and hunt down a school of rummy noses within a few hours.Your best bet would be to hold and feed your tetras in a breeding net or a large fish net for a day or two to take on the chemistry(smell) of the tank.Works a whole lot better.
    additionally, introducing smaller fish to a discus tank after about feeding (about 30 minutes or so) and/or lights out helps with not losing many to predatory discus.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Lemons, Priscilla's (sp?), rummies, hummingbird tetras, hatchets, small school of cories.

Stay away from buenos aires.... Hatchets jump out... Neons are fine only if biiiig...
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Lemons, Priscilla's (sp?), rummies, hummingbird tetras, hatchets, small school of cories.

Stay away from buenos aires.... Hatchets jump out... Neons are fine only if biiiig...
    I have cardinals and Priscilla's. I really like the Priscilla's they're a bit larger and I like the deeper body. They are very hardy fish I've had a school of 15 for about 10 mo the and just lost my first this week. Think it was a case of hungry discus and angels. They didn't get fed much this week. The Priscilla's also travel in a very tight school which looks nice.

Yeah, I really enjoyed priscillas. Even had a few albino ones for a slight variation with the school. they multiplied just as fast as my lemon tetras. I'm surprised you had a discus eat one! Angels I could see going after them but still, priscillas have some size to them (compared to neon)!
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Yeah, I really enjoyed priscillas. Even had a few albino ones for a slight variation with the school. they multiplied just as fast as my lemon tetras. I'm surprised you had a discus eat one! Angels I could see going after them but still, priscillas have some size to them (compared to neon)!
    Did your tetras reproduce in your discus tank and did any of the fry survive?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast