AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Schooling fish for discus tank

Real Name
    Dan

Default Re: Schooling fish for discus tank

If you're looking for size, I'd try Bloodfin Tetras. I have a school of 10 and a school of 20 Rummynose. The Bloodfins school much tighter and are pretty big as far as Tetras go, definitely bigger than my Rummynose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgus View Post
    Did your tetras reproduce in your discus tank and did any of the fry survive?
    Yes, I've had several different types of tetras reproduce in my tank... and I wasn't trying... and yes, they survived. The priscellas and lemons had the best rate. I don't know "when" they spawned but all of a sudden I would start to see little groups of tinie-tiny "replicas" moving around (usually hiding within the leaves of my amazon sword). Most little ones I saw "appear" at once was probably about a dozen. When I switched to lemons I started with 7 in my 150 discus community tank... after a year I had just over 40 at one point. Had to give some away because I had so many. Then, they started reproducing all over again. While trying to go from canister to DIY sump I royally screwed something up and lost all lemons, a few discus, and discus stopped spawning for a long time. Sooo... right now I have 6 lemons and since the discus started spawning again then I might expect to start seeing baby lemons again. That said, seems that the discus eggs are having a lot more fungus problems than in the past... I never should have screwed with filtration... ah well.

I think if you look at my old thread in the planted section then you'll see some baby lemon and/or priscellas mixed in to some pictures. At just a few mm's they look just like parents practically.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Austin

Hockey sticks, rummy nose, and possible glow light
    you can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.

If I get anymore lemons out of my current group then I'll give'm too ya I've remembered to keep an eye on my amazon sword for you as well. Haven't forgotten about ya bud
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Beautiful plants Ryan

Black Tetras may work better than Cardinals and get much larger.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicole

I noticed someone mentioned to not use a school of BA Tetras. Why?

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Skeksi View Post
    I noticed someone mentioned to not use a school of BA Tetras. Why?
    Buenos Aires Tetra are spastic! They move way too fast and will annoy the Discus. I have some that I inherited that are nearly 10 years old, but they aren't in with my Discus.

Real Name
    Pam

I have Black Phantom tetras in my discus tank. They aren't always the tightest school, but their colour and shape offer a great contrast to the discus. They are a larger tetra, so I haven't had any issues with the discus going after them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by ddr1981 View Post
    Buenos Aires Tetra are spastic! They move way too fast and will annoy the Discus. I have some that I inherited that are nearly 10 years old, but they aren't in with my Discus.

Thanks for the explaination. I have three in a different tank and can see what you are saying. I was just curious if there was a seperate reason to that.

Quote Originally Posted by pamdb33 View Post
    I have Black Phantom tetras in my discus tank. They aren't always the tightest school, but their colour and shape offer a great contrast to the discus. They are a larger tetra, so I haven't had any issues with the discus going after them.
    i had a school of black phantom, they are one of the nicest looking tetras and very interesting to watch their interaction. they are ofter sparing with each other, but i removed them from tank once i added the baby discus as the tetras were stealing all the food from the Ds

Real Name
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    i had a school of black phantom, they are one of the nicest looking tetras and very interesting to watch their interaction. they are ofter sparing with each other, but i removed them from tank once i added the baby discus as the tetras were stealing all the food from the Ds
    I love watching the males & females interact. I've been wanting to setup a breeding tank to see if I can grow out my school but haven't had the time.

I've been lucky with the tetras and smaller discus, the tetras don't seem very interested in the discus' beef heart mix or black worms. I had a few discus in a grow out tank that were not getting along, so I added a few of the BPs as dither fish. It really helped calm the discus down.

Well at that time the baby discus were about the size of those tetras. now the discus would win the fight for the food and territory :-)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    George

Hi Guys,
    What about Harlequin Rasbora. Would they make suitable tank mates?
    Peaceful and big enough to not end up as dinner for a Discus.
    I'm starting a new tank and was considering them.
    Are they not popular for a reason?

Real Name
    Boyd

I have had a school of rummy nose, and cardinals a few years now, out of about 20 cardinals, I have 9 left, and still maybe 16 rummys.....so that is why I never find dead cards, Discus eat them maybe, or catfish. I so enjoy both of these, as they school, and scatter when Discus approach. Had to separate one Discus, as he would chase all Tetras. I did end up putting him back, after he was imprisoned in a smaller tank, he seemed to settle, lol.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast