AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightroom 6

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Lightroom 6

Hey guys, bought a stand-alone version of Lightroom 6 and will be here today. Any suggestions on materials for getting started with it?
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Lightroom 6

My only suggestion is to come up with a filing method right now before you get it and stick with it. Lr serves as a great organizer, but you have to know how you want things organized first

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    My only suggestion is to come up with a filing method right now before you get it and stick with it. Lr serves as a great organizer, but you have to know how you want things organized first
    Ricardo, guessing I should start with one folder and have everything under that so I can point lightroom to the folder?
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Ricardo, guessing I should start with one folder and have everything under that so I can point lightroom to the folder?
    Pat
    Pat

In my quick setup with the cloud version of LR, I decided to use and external hard drive to set up the catalog. Initially, I though I would be able to use the cloud space I had but it doesn't work that way. I opted to use an external hard drive because I plan to use this on multiples machines.

Real Name
    Pat

Van, I am planning on the same. Also found this video as a quick start. It does not directly answer my questions but a bit of experimenting on my part should suffice.

Real Name
    Matt

You also need the space to organize. You know one of my biggest complaints about lightroom? It wanting me to constantly back stuff up or catalog whatever before I close. But I'm one of those people that already have a system so it's nothing for me to do it myself. Not sure if you can turn it off or not, I hardly use the program myself. I haven't found to much I can't do in just photoshop especially if I am not trying to batch process. I could stand to dig a bit deeper into LR though as I don't know it like I know other programs. I use it for timelapse as well, but again....batch processing. Once learned I can see LR being more efficient, so I will pay attention to this. Whenever I need tutorials I tend to start on youtube Pat, sorry I can't point to anything specific atm.
    -Matt

Pat, there are so many good series of video tutorials. Here are a few:
    Scott Kelby http://kelbyone.com/

Anthony Morganti https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bECi...XKEMQmjseqic1J

Julieanne Kost http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/lightroom-training-videos

Phil Steele http://www.steeletraining.com/lightroom-course.htm

These will get you started! Some are subscriptions but you get continuous course updates as new things come out.
    Spend time learning about setting up your Catalog, library and workflow. It will save you a lot of effort down the road. Processing is fun and it's easy to learn the basics, but organising your images is key.
    Let me know if you have questions.
    Last edited by SMB2; 07-17-2015 at 11:21 PM.
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Stan,

I already found Anthony's quickstart video which is linked above. I worked thru some of that tonight and played with some osprey pictures from my Maryland trip. Appreciate the additional links and I am sure I could have questions as my progress thru the learning curve.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    You also need the space to organize. You know one of my biggest complaints about lightroom? It wanting me to constantly back stuff up or catalog whatever before I close. But I'm one of those people that already have a system so it's nothing for me to do it myself. Not sure if you can turn it off or not, I hardly use the program myself. I haven't found to much I can't do in just photoshop especially if I am not trying to batch process. I could stand to dig a bit deeper into LR though as I don't know it like I know other programs. I use it for timelapse as well, but again....batch processing. Once learned I can see LR being more efficient, so I will pay attention to this. Whenever I need tutorials I tend to start on youtube Pat, sorry I can't point to anything specific atm.
    In my Lr cloud, there is an option for catalog that may be what you are looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can set Catalog backups in LR as well. But all you are backing up in the Catalog is the locations of your images and any data to adjustments made. You are not backing up the images themselves. The Catalog contains no images, so the backup takes a few minutes at most.
    I back up after every session.
    Stan

Real Name
    Pat

I am loving LR and really like the history aspect where you can go back and find where you added something you do not like. I am playing with a picture of an old white barn located at the Sotterley plantation in Southern rural Maryland. The picture was taken on an overcast day just after a rain. So the sky was overcast and the grass was glowing green from the rain. Here is the original picture

DSC_1390_orig

and the changes made following Anthony Morganti quick start video linked above and referred in Stan's post.

DSC_1390_after

Nicely done, Pat. (You are shooting in RAW?)
    Love the way you opened up the foreground trees. Nice control of the whites and bringing out the roof.
    Perhaps a slight crop to lessen the foreground and take out the building on the left keeping the original (as shot) dimensions. May not work, just curious.
    Stan

Real Name
    Ricardo

Very nice Pat. I was worried that your first edit may be an over the top "cooked" edit. It is very typical in new users. I am so glad to see you didn't and actually used it like it is supposed to . Great job Pat!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Stan and Ricardo

Ricardo, I know exactly what you mean by "overcooked". I actually hate that look.

Stan, I am shooting in RAW and making my edits on the RAW file. Is this a little better. I think the dark area in the foregound left should be cloned out.

DSC_1390_after

Real Name
    Pat

Original

DSC_1142_orig

After. Only a little crop as the bird zoomed in pretty much falls apart. Perhaps a little overcooked Ricardo?

DSC_1142_after

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast