ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My Old tank with new Heckels!

Registered Member

Default My Old tank with new Heckels!

Hello all... I am back with a wild discus tank after a short venture into tanganyikans. First time to keep heckels though!

The good news is that the wild discus season is a little longer this year and there are still quality discus available at this time. Manage to grab a box of them home on Saturday from JZX (Singapore dealer for H&K). They are now stable but yet to be conditioned after a long flight from Brazil - so pardon the torn fins and scratches.

Here are some pictures of them. Lighting is still a little dim to help them settle in.

Some individual shots:

Both sides of the same piece...

Another one... is it considered a blue moon?

Another..

Couple...

Group Shot:

Tank shot - very happy that they are stable and now schooling left and right. Initial days they were just huddled in a corner.

Thanks and sorry for the photo spam!

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: My Old tank with new Heckels!

Wow!!1 Those are amazing, love the colors and patterns! How many in total...9?

Registered Member

Fantastic wilds! Can you describe your setup (tank size, filtration,water parameters,wc regime, their diet)?

Registered Member

Thanks Phillydubs and plecocicho!

There are 8 of them (all I can afford for now)

Tank Size: 7ft Length x 1.5ft Depth x 2ft height
    Filtration: Internal Overflow on the right and a small overhead filter on the left. My flowrate in the tank is extremely slow - around 2-3 times per hour
    Water Parameters: pH 6.5, Hardness 120ppm, I don't measure anything else.
    WC Regime: 50% every week
    Diet: They are less than a week with me - just managed to get them on blackworms and beefheart. Will pellet train them after they are beefed up a bit.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Those are some gorgeous discus!!! I owned a heckel way WAY back in the old days and loved him. You just made me want to own them again. =)
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Real Name
    Phil

Any reason for the small water change rate??

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Beautiful group of heckels in a nice display tank. Hope they do well for you.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    with wilds, it seems to be a better practice to do smaller and less frequent water changes to avoid "whirrling disease". At least this has been my observation as reader on here.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    Those are some gorgeous discus!!! I owned a heckel way WAY back in the old days and loved him. You just made me want to own them again. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Beautiful group of heckels in a nice display tank. Hope they do well for you.
    Pat
    Thank you both! It is my first time with heckels - heard they are the most "challenging" of the wilds to keep so any advice will be much appreciated. So far so good though - they have stabilize and seem to be in the process of establishing a pecking order.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    with wilds, it seems to be a better practice to do smaller and less frequent water changes to avoid "whirrling disease". At least this has been my observation as reader on here.
    I think the water change rate is ok. I know breeders who do 95% water change on a daily basis and filtration is just sponge filters. There are also those who only do 10% weekly. The 50% has worked well with my wilds in the past so just keeping at it.

If you are referring to the flow rate though, I think discus in general do not prefer high flowrates through the tank and they will rest in areas where the flow is slower. So keeping a slow flow through the tank seem to make them come out more.

Beautiful!!!! Rufus

Registered Member

Thank you Rufus.

Any suggestions on pellets for them? A lot of the recommended pellets (Tetrabits, NLS Thera A) appear to have ingredients that will turn them red.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by zonkkie View Post
    Thank you Rufus.

Any suggestions on pellets for them? A lot of the recommended pellets (Tetrabits, NLS Thera A) appear to have ingredients that will turn them red.
    I really like Forrests D line pellets. Al (our forum owner) has recently started carrying a new pellet as well. Drop him a line and see if it has red enhancers.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Looking real good - I'm sure it won't take you long to 'beef them up' a bit !