ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mathematical approach to waterchanges

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: Mathematical approach to waterchanges

Quote Originally Posted by afriend View Post
    About a hundred years ago the general thought was "the horse drawn carriage works just fine, why would anyone want to invent something called an airplane?"

Just a friendly thought.
    At what cost?

progress!

or

progress?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It doesn't need mathematician to figure this out. Its either the keeper is lazy, can't to commit, always busy, too much excuses and plain ignorant. Discus does not adjust for you but rather you have to adjust for them. keep in mind you force them into your life and not the other way around so in order for you to succeed to have to sacrifice something in order for them to live healthy. Sometimes I don't understand people, they would buy expensive and very nice fish but no time to care for them. I really hate those people would try to argue that good filtration is better than water changes. And then couple months later, they'll come back saying " What the heck happen with my fish? I have the best filtration in the world, I have zero ammonia, zero nitrate and zero nitrite yet my fish is getting dark, up side down, loosing slime coat, stringy poop and bloated. Well guess what smarty pants, filtration does not remove bacteria, parasites, protozoa and fungus but if you do enough water change it will eliminate those issues.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    At what cost?

progress!

or

progress?
    Rapid progress in science and technology is here to stay. Embrace it or get lost in the dust. I for one think that it is the only thing that has a chance of saving us from the political process.
    Last edited by afriend; 07-28-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

About a hundred years ago the general thought was "the horse drawn carriage works just fine, why would anyone want to invent something called an airplane?"

Just a friendly thought.
    No problem with this but do you think that Gustave Whitehead, who many think beat the Wright brother in flight by about 2 years ran around talking down about horses and righting articles speculating on flight? Probably not. They went in their work shop and build their planes. It was after they proved stuff that it "took off". I have no problem with advancements but talking about the same crap that has been discussed at least a 1000 times on here is no progress. I don't care what anyone does with their fish, but instead of talking about maybes I want them to do it and then post the true results. That is all. I guess I am a doer and not a talker.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Anyone feeling the inner scientist and looking to run experiments and document things, we do have a place set up just for you....
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...The-Laboratory

Its the reason we made that section.

hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Rick

Rapid progress in science and technology is here to stay. Embrace it or get lost in the dust. I for one think that it is the only thing that has a chance of saving us from the political process.

You missed the point entirely....

Climate Change
    Acidification of the Oceans
    Pollution
    Ozone depletion
    Deforestation

I have to chuckle at getting lost in the dust......California is about to do just that.........

so

progress!

or

progress?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

I'm a Discus newbie and a scientist and engineer at heart but when it comes to water changes I just

Change water as much as I can, and as often I can. Fish seem happy and healthy.

I'm not trying to keep Astronauts on the International Space Station alive so this is an area where I can keep it simple!

Water change is not Rocket Surgery.. just use the KISS Method
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    It doesn't need mathematician to figure this out. Its either the keeper is lazy, can't to commit, always busy, too much excuses and plain ignorant. Discus does not adjust for you but rather you have to adjust for them. keep in mind you force them into your life and not the other way around so in order for you to succeed to have to sacrifice something in order for them to live healthy. Sometimes I don't understand people, they would buy expensive and very nice fish but no time to care for them. I really hate those people would try to argue that good filtration is better than water changes. And then couple months later, they'll come back saying " What the heck happen with my fish? I have the best filtration in the world, I have zero ammonia, zero nitrate and zero nitrite yet my fish is getting dark, up side down, loosing slime coat, stringy poop and bloated. Well guess what smarty pants, filtration does not remove bacteria, parasites, protozoa and fungus but if you do enough water change it will eliminate those issues.
    I don't consider my self lazy, unable to commit, too busy, full of excuses, or ignorant. Nor do I think that one has to choose between good filtration or water changes (why not both). I may be a smarty pants however, because I believe that a properly designed filtration system, coupled with water changes, can provide the best of both worlds, and at the same time GREATLY reduce the time for tank maintenance.

Take a look at this:

Here's the results that can be achieved:

Basically, it is possible to achieve a tank that eliminates algae and slime (even if the lights are on 24/7) , automatically removing feces (eliminating the need for syphoning), and creating an environment where there is far less chance for all those nasties you mentioned, and is pristine clean from an esthetics standpoint. And the tank stays this way without any daily maintenance other than feeding the fish for an entire month. (The tank also has an automated water exchange system.)

I have accomplished exactly this, and I have evidence and experience to support this claim.

Grow your fish out for 12 to 18 months and then bring them to the next NADA show. Have an unveiling of sorts in Chicago.

-john

I don't consider my self lazy, unable to commit, too busy, full of excuses, or ignorant. Nor do I think that one has to choose between good filtration or water changes (why not both). I may be a smarty pants however, because I believe that a properly designed filtration system, coupled with water changes, can provide the best of both worlds, and at the same time GREATLY reduce the time for tank maintenance.

Take a look at this:

Basically, it is possible to achieve a tank that eliminates algae and slime (even if the lights are on 24/7) , automatically removing feces (eliminating the need for syphoning), and creating an environment where there is far less chance for all those nasties you mentioned, and is pristine clean from an esthetics standpoint. And the tank stays this way without any daily maintenance other than feeding the fish for an entire month. (The tank also has an automated water exchange system.)

I have accomplished exactly this, and I have evidence and experience to support this claim.

SOS Crew Texas

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Grow your fish out for 12 to 18 months and then bring them to the next NADA show. Have an unveiling of sorts in Chicago.

-john
    Thanks for the invitation. Not sure how I could get the filtration/tank system to Chicago.

Bring the fish. The proof of your process.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Take a look at this:

I realized expensive filtration is just waste of money. I just used 2 sponge filter in my grow out tank and it work just fine. Besides I do 100% daily so what's the point for me having the best filtration. I'll probably invest it to build automatic water changer.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    I realized expensive filtration is just waste of money. I just used 2 sponge filter in my grow out tank and it work just fine. Besides I do 100% daily so what's the point for me having the best filtration. I'll probably invest it to build automatic water changer.
    WOW. If you don't mind my asking how do you physically accomplish a 100% water exchange each day? You actually carry buckets or what? How big is the tank and how do you control temperature during the change. Isn't this stressful to your fish? Also, what happens when you are not available for a few days?

Here's a link to my automated system, perhaps it might help you.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Water-Exchange
    Last edited by afriend; 07-28-2015 at 08:16 PM.

WOW. If you don't mind my asking how do you physically accomplish a 100% water exchange each day? You actually carry buckets or what? How big is the tank and how do you control temperature during the change. Isn't this stressful to your fish?

Here's a link to my automated system, perhaps it might help you.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Water-Exchange
    That's pretty easy, I have a 55 gallon tank and 55 gallon aging barrel heated/ aerated same temp with the tank. I used water pump to remove the tank water and I used separate water pump to fill the tank. The fish don't get stress because my water is aged for 24hours and stable also added prime just to be safe.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast