ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: How To Duct Tape a 5 gallon Bucket

Default How To Duct Tape a 5 gallon Bucket

Now that I have your attention. It's not for the bucket itself, but for those small plastic dowel like handles that uncomfortably dig into your hands when your handling the 40+ lbs. of water that comprise a full 5 gallon bucket.

The idea is to wrap a generous amount of duct tape around these handles until it takes on a spongy quality. This makes the handling and holding of the heavy, unwieldy bucket much easier and more comfortable. This is a simple fix that requires less than a minute, and some duct tape, and also works well for broken or missing handles so you don't have to throw away a perfectly good bucket.

Registered Member

Default Re: How To Duct Tape a 5 gallon Bucket

YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG... Take off that crap of an excuse of a handle and I put on tubing like I use for say a magnum filter and NEVER LOOKED BACK it will outlast the bucket itself. I make mine say 8" long and it stays put where it should. It is spongy soft and most important will never get sticky from say 100* day like duct tape.

In the past I have used a short piece of 3/4 inch conduit, just detached the wire from the side of the bucket (easier said than done), pulled off the plastic and put on the conduit, and had a MUCH better handle. I used the bucket to carry heavy tools when I was working as a sheet metal worker. 1-inch conduit would even be better. But I'm always in favor of duct tape! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG... Take off that crap of an excuse of a handle and I put on tubing like I use for say a magnum filter and NEVER LOOKED BACK it will outlast the bucket itself. I make mine say 8" long and it stays put where it should. It is spongy soft and most important will never get sticky from say 100* day like duct tape.

I'm a pack rat.....I save everything including those old garden hoses... Cut up for various projects, they are great for this as well.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Ricardo

Lets actually take one step further and get to OP to do something better than the bucket brigade! Have you considered getting a 55g barrel to store water and using a pump to do water changes?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Lets actually take one step further and get to OP to do something better than the bucket brigade! Have you considered getting a 55g barrel to store water and using a pump to do water changes?
    well like me in the winter I must get water to that barrel you speak of so.......many trip with buckets.......tried to run water lines to my room but the stare I got from the wife ...well said not happening

I like this, it works, and is EASY to do. Good to get the conversation going though.

Alas and alack, I live in an apartment and while this would be nice, I have no room for it.

Besides, lugging 40 pounds of water around helps keep me in shape (lol).

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post

God, am I glad those days are over for me! LOL.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    Alas and alack, I live in an apartment and while this would be nice, I have no room for it.

You are a "water half full" kind of guy aren't you? . When I threw out my back, I realized that lugging buckets was not an option any more.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

You are a "water half full" kind of guy aren't you? . When I threw out my back, I realized that lugging buckets was not an option any more.
    If I had a choice I wouldn't be lugging around buckets of heavy, sloshy water. Pain in the a**.

Gratefully it's usually only for the RO water, the big primary water changes are done with a w/a Python System and Prime, though directly from the tap. I just don't have the room to store large volumes of water in an apartment.
    Last edited by DISCUS STU; 07-30-2015 at 10:10 AM.

pitdogg2 - YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG... Joke! Alt 248 is your degree sign °°°°°. I use a sponge wrapped with duct tape for my poop removal buckets, but all my water change stuff are water pumps Separate ones for different tanks, of course. Just messin' with ya Ivan.

Woodduck
    Over 50 years in fish and it still feels brand new!! Woodduck