AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 75g and 40g sump finally done! Bean Animal overflow

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: 75g and 40g sump finally done! Bean Animal overflow

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Rick,

I finally watched your video on your over flow with a demonstration of a clog and I noticed that there are no bubbles coming from you're main siphon on mine I have bubbles lots of them. I am using the hofer gurgle buster. And If i run the ball valve on 3/4 open I get loud rushing water noise Granted I am going the the basement to the sump but I would thing it would be quieter.
    I've adjusted my gate valve, and I can make my open channel line expel a lot of bubbles, however, the key is to only let a trickle of water down that line, hence the small amount of bubbles. Maybe an adjustment is in order?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Ya, I have done that but I'm concerned about turn over rate I have never really known the flow rate or how much needs to be turned over. If it turn it down to a trickle and it has light output is this ok? I need schooling on this subject.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Ya, I have done that but I'm concerned about turn over rate I have never really known the flow rate or how much needs to be turned over. If it turn it down to a trickle and it has light output is this ok? I need schooling on this subject.
    well, the open channel isn't the concern, however, let me back up here, you ARE running a Bean Animal overflow right? Because if you aren't, then we are talking about two different setups here. If you are, then the open channel does not serve anything to the output of the filtration. The siphon is the one that controls the huge portion of moving water and this of course all ends up in your sump which gets returned by the pump, the pump being the sole driver of the GPH of the whole system.

Did I clear that up or did I confuse you further?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I do not have the Bean I have this one assembled.jpg I do not have a emergency pipe. only one drain gong to the sump that has a ball valve on it.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I do not have the Bean I have this one assembled.jpg I do not have a emergency pipe. only one drain gong to the sump that has a ball valve on it.
    You understand the risks of not having an emergency? Either way, the Bean Animal setup was created with one thing in mind, silence. When you run a herbie or other type of systems, they tend to be louder because the main line is handling all the pass through water. How long have you had it setup? Do you have a pic of your overflow?

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I will get you a picture tonight I have had the tank running from March to now. The tank originally came with a Durso stand pipe.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I will get you a picture tonight I have had the tank running from March to now. The tank originally came with a Durso stand pipe.
    The key is consistency. If you have that, I'd probably advocate the ol' adage, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it".

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Devon, did you ever figure out your setup?

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Julian

Ricardo nice set up. I find your thread kind of late. I notice was almost about the same time that I was working in my Herbie style.
    I like yours much better, nice biotope looking set up!

Julian

my herbie setup is completely silent

unless there is something wrong and its sucking air or epipe is engaged, but that is by design.

good write up on herbie

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-...method-basics/
    Last edited by Jack L; 01-05-2016 at 09:49 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks for the great video! I have seen a similar overflow system when I had a Saltwater tank it was quite nice and quite expensive. The name of the system escapes me right now. But thanks for a great post and video!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by BobB View Post
    Thanks for the great video! I have seen a similar overflow system when I had a Saltwater tank it was quite nice and quite expensive. The name of the system escapes me right now. But thanks for a great post and video!
    No problem. Mine is all DIY, but there are companies that sell the complete overflow system

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

go to time 1:42. The discus swimming away from my hand off to the right is the one I am talking about. That is one tall discus!

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I really appreciate this post. I myself will be doing similar to this on my 120 gallon. Now my question is, which part sets the water height? And the overflow, I was thinking of designing a reversed one where the water enters from the bottom so it acts as a poop cleaner. Do you think that it's possible? What size of bulk head will be good? Thanks for the info. image.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by noinoi24 View Post
    I really appreciate this post. I myself will be doing similar to this on my 120 gallon. Now my question is, which part sets the water height? And the overflow, I was thinking of designing a reversed one where the water enters from the bottom so it acts as a poop cleaner. Do you think that it's possible? What size of bulk head will be good? Thanks for the info. image.jpg
    I don't see how getting fed through the bottom would actually work unfortunately. In all my research I have never come across that. However, to your first question, the thing that dictates your water height is the gate valve on the main siphon. When you leave the main siphon wide open, it will drain almost all the water, you dial the valve back until it maintains an even water level and doesn't go to the emergency pipe.

Cafepress.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast