http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...d-full-auto-WC

Registered Member

Default Re: 75g and 40g sump finally done! Bean Animal overflow

Here's the idea that I'm trying to do Rick:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...d-full-auto-WC

Real Name
    Ricardo

I see. It is still an overflow for all intents and purposes. I do remember that thread, I followed it closely for a long time. That definitely would work for what you want to achieve. A power head may be needed in order for the feces to be "ushered" in to that overflow

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I wonder if this will really get rid of the feces or should I say get rid of the vacuuming? Any thoughts?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by noinoi24 View Post
    I wonder if this will really get rid of the feces or should I say get rid of the vacuuming? Any thoughts?
    The feces will still be in your system. You still need to remove it somehow. Personally, I like to remove it myself from the tank floor rather than from filter socks. YMMV

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Thank you! I'll take your advice... I wonder how much it'll cost me for the set-up?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by noinoi24 View Post
    Thank you! I'll take your advice... I wonder how much it'll cost me for the set-up?
    PVC is relatively cheap. You would have to drill your tank though

Cafepress.com

Hey Ricardo I have a quick question for you.

I am currently planning my sump for my 75G. I am planning to use the Poret foam as you have. I haven't used it before so not too familiar with it.

I was thinking of stacking 4 sheets the 10,20,30,45 ppi

I assume most debris should be caught in the upper layers. How much risk do I have of the 45 getting clogged?? How often do you clean yours?? Trying to avoid cleaning it daily or even weekly for that matter.. I wouldn't mind terribly to clean weekly but if it can last longer that's what I'd prefer. Trying to pack as much media into this thing as possible with as little maintenance as possible.

Thanks in advance

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Hey Ricardo I have a quick question for you.

I am currently planning my sump for my 75G. I am planning to use the Poret foam as you have. I haven't used it before so not too familiar with it.

I was thinking of stacking 4 sheets the 10,20,30,45 ppi

I assume most debris should be caught in the upper layers. How much risk do I have of the 45 getting clogged?? How often do you clean yours?? Trying to avoid cleaning it daily or even weekly for that matter.. I wouldn't mind terribly to clean weekly but if it can last longer that's what I'd prefer. Trying to pack as much media into this thing as possible with as little maintenance as possible.

Thanks in advance
    I would ditch the idea of 45ppi to be honest. I only have 10ppi and 20ppi I believe and it works perfectly.

This stuff is made out of some great materials. I do not rinse my poret foam as often as you would think or as often as most might suggest. I rinse it every 2 months or so. The reason I do this is simple, it is very difficult for me to access it often. So, keep this in mind when making a sump. Accessibility is a huge factor when planning out your maintenance.

With that said, I have another little compartment that holds filter floss. This filter floss captures the huge majority of debris. I clean the filter floss very often, like every other day or every 3rd day.

When i fed BH 2x's per day I would put new filter floss daily.

Go with swisstropicals for the foam and you wont regret it.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I second that recommendation, have 20ppi and 30ppi in my sump. Hadn't had to clean in over 3months now. I run a cut to size piece of 45ppi as the pre-filter(mechanical) in the suspended plastic tray over the K1.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I would ditch the idea of 45ppi to be honest. I only have 10ppi and 20ppi I believe and it works perfectly.

This stuff is made out of some great materials. I do not rinse my poret foam as often as you would think or as often as most might suggest. I rinse it every 2 months or so. The reason I do this is simple, it is very difficult for me to access it often. So, keep this in mind when making a sump. Accessibility is a huge factor when planning out your maintenance.

With that said, I have another little compartment that holds filter floss. This filter floss captures the huge majority of debris. I clean the filter floss very often, like every other day or every 3rd day.

When i fed BH 2x's per day I would put new filter floss daily.

Go with swisstropicals for the foam and you wont regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    I second that recommendation, have 20ppi and 30ppi in my sump. Hadn't had to clean in over 3months now. I run a cut to size piece of 45ppi as the pre-filter(mechanical) in the suspended plastic tray over the K1.
    Thanks. My design will start with the poret then flow through some bio media, next a fluidized K1 section, then another bio. Looking for good mechanical to avoid debris in the other sections

Thanks. My design will start with the poret then flow through some bio media, next a fluidized K1 section, then another bio. Looking for good mechanical to avoid debris in the other sections

You are over complicating it. All you need is poret foam. Use various ppi from 10 to 30 and nothing else.

20161112_133155.jpg

This is a very bad and quick picture from my mechanical and biological chamber in my sump. All in one, poret foam only. The first one is emerged and acts as mechanical. I take it out like once a month and hit hard against a wall, I do use a pre filter in the sump intake though it is made of 10 ppi poret foam too. There is a big bag of pumice stone under the foam and like 2 1/2 inches of pfs in another chamber but I feel all that is not needed.
    Last edited by 100fuegos; 11-12-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
    You are over complicating it. All you need is poret foam. Use various ppi from 10 to 30 and nothing else.

20161112_133155.jpg

This is a very bad and quick picture from my mechanical and biological chamber in my sump. All in one, poret foam only. The first one is emerged and acts as mechanical. I take it out like once a month and hit hard against a wall, I do use a pre filter in the sump intake though it is made of 10 ppi poret foam too. There is a big bag of pumice stone under the foam and like 2 1/2 inches of pfs in another chamber but I feel all that is not needed.
    So you're saying you use the poret for both bio and mechanical correct? I read on the Swiss Tropicals site that they say to take the foam out on the driveway and hose it down to clean and that still won't kill the BB on it

So you're saying you use the poret for both bio and mechanical correct? I read on the Swiss Tropicals site that they say to take the foam out on the driveway and hose it down to clean and that still won't kill the BB on it
    Yes, that foam in the picture supports 17 full grown adults plus I feed my beef heart mix twice everyday. I used to clean that first layer of 10 ppi foam with a garden hose but there is really no need to. All it needs is a few hits against a wall once or twice a month. In the other hand it does not support a great deal of the bb compared to the rest of the layers immersed.

poret is all you need
    it seems like mine needs cleaned about every 6 months, and i whack it on the driveway, hit it with the hose and thow it back in, all was fine. there is enough BB to regenerate.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast