AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Latest five growouts

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default Latest five growouts

Just wanted to update my latest project. I grew out some larger (5") discus from Kenny who are now all about 7" except for one female who has gotten stuck at 6.5". They've been in my tank for nearly 3 months now.

And 6 weeks ago (this coming Thursday is 6 weeks) I added 5 new Kenny discus. The largest 2 were just over 3" and the smallest were just under 3" when they arrived.

I'm doing the grow out in a planted tank which is a first for me. Been pretty nervous about water quality, etc, but so far so good! I do a 90% WC daily and feed 5-6 times a day. Till now it's just been a mix of high protein flake foods and Al's FDBW's for all feedings. This coming week I'll be adding a variety of frozen foods. Planning to feed those once a day just before WC.

So here are four pics of them from the evening of 7-31. I had to crop them mightily and reduce the quality of the pics in order to get them under the kb requirement for uploading them to this site, but since I'm on my way out the door for a day at the lake, I didn't want to take time to upload them to my server and then link them. Yep, I'm lazy that way! =)

IMG_0041_1.jpg

IMG_0040_1.jpg

IMG_0036_1.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

The larger 2 discus who were just over 3" when I got them are now 4.5" and the smaller three who were just under 3" are now just over 4" (4.25")

Edit: Just measured my adorable babies and the largest 2 (the red snakeskins) are 5" each, the yellow checkerboard is 4.75" and the golden lollipops are 4.5". Shoulda measured just before I posted this, huh? I was using July 24th measurements and didn't realize how much they'd grown in such a short time. LOL

Oh and I'm using my new camera and still fussing with it in order to get the best shots in low light with my icky lighting conditions in at tank level, so trust me when I tell you that the yellow discus do NOT have a greenish or orange tinge to them. They really are just plain old yellow. LOL

Oh and for people who wonder if you can raise pigeons in a tank with a black background - welp, the answer is most definitely YES!
    Last edited by strawberryblonde; 08-04-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Wrong day of the week AND remeasured them about 5 minutes ago
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Latest five growouts

Nice fish and pictures Toni and a new camera. Very nice.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks Pat, I LOVE my new camera! Still playing around with the settings, but so far it's exactly what I wanted/needed.

These little guys are still developing their patterns and colors, so there's not much to look at, especially with the yellow checkerboard, but Kenny chose great fish for me. They are gorgeously round and as the patterns are developing they're very even throughout. One of the snakeskins has perfect markings on his/her gill plates!!! The other has cute little polka dots on one side and stripes on the other side on the gill plates. LOL
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Ricardo

Beautiful Toni

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Thanks Ricardo! I do love the little things, they're so adorable (when they're not begging for yet another meal). LOL

The amazing thing for me was seeing how well they integrated into a tank of 6"-8" discus. I was sure I'd have to remove them to their own 55g tank and worried that they wouldn't get enough food but thanks to the bossy little checkerboard there haven't been any issues with the big guys hogging the food or intimidating the wee babes.
    Toni

120g - 10

Toni, Those yellows are stunningly beautiful!!! Rufus

Thanks Rufus! I'm hoping I can figure out the formula for keeping them nice and yellow as they mature. Working on it...lol
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

Awesome!
    Love the yellow pigeon, the white came in so bright and so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    Thanks Rufus! I'm hoping I can figure out the formula for keeping them nice and yellow as they mature. Working on it...lol
    Toni, Knowing you, you will be successful at keeping them so bright and yellow. Keep us up to date on their development! Rufus