ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Apistogramma Agassizi Pair

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Apistogramma Agassizi Pair

I recently acquired an pair of Apistogramma agassizi "Cuipeua" from Mark (DiscusOrigins) and currently have them in a QT with only a few caves and IALs. It only took a few days for the female to select one of the caves as her own and then she started to active chase the male and wiggling her little tail at him. At first he seemed unsettled but the last day or so he has been occupying the cave with her so feel they could be close to a spawn. Here's a picture of the pair.

apisto_pair.jpg

As you can see the female is quite yellow which I understand means she is ready to spawn. I do not believe they have spawned yet but any information on what to expect once they spawn would be helpful especially requiring separating one or more of the parents, parental fry care etc.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Apistogramma Agassizi Pair

Also I have been feeding live red wigglers and live white worms to help condition them and the TDS is a bit high at 95. I can easily drop down to the 60s which is what Mark recommended for breeding.
    Pat

Real Name
    Ricardo

I don't have an answer to your question, but nice looking pair you have there.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Hi Pat! Lovely fish you have there. I bought some apistos from Mark last year myself! Here is a link to an article on apistos that I wrote quite some time ago: http://aquarticles.com/articles/bree...stogramma.html give it a look, as it is what I generally do with most apisto species. I have been working with them for a long time, they are my passion! Any questions you may have just ask!

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I don't have an answer to your question, but nice looking pair you have there.
    Thanks Ricardo

Being that your female is actively coloring up, and engaging the male. I'd leave em' be. Aggies are one of the easy spawners in my experience. One thing about aggie females, is that they can be real terrors once they have eggs, so keep an eye one her! Good food and good water, the fish will do the rest!
    Last edited by richgrenfell; 08-02-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by richgrenfell View Post
    Hi Pat! Lovely fish you have there. I bought some apistos from Mark last year myself! Here is a link to an article on apistos that I wrote quite some time ago: http://aquarticles.com/articles/bree...stogramma.html give it a look, as it is what I generally do with most apisto species. I have been working with them for a long time, they are my passion! Any questions you may have just ask!
    Hi Rich and thank you. I will definitely read your article and will post questions here if you do not mind. I will take a little video of the pair to see if I am interpreting the behaviors correct.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Rich and thank you. I will definitely read your article and will post questions here if you do not mind. I will take a little video of the pair to see if I am interpreting the behaviors correct.
    Pat
    Definitely post anything you like! I'll be watching! Be sure and let me know when you have fry, i'll do the same. I have some njisseni set up at the moment.

Real Name
    Pat

Rich, I looked up the njisseni and they are quite attactive, care to post some pictures? You will be the first to know when I have fry LOL. I am uploading some videos now.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Rich, I am reading your article and these guys currently in a 10 gallon tank. The pair for the most part seem to be fairly compatible with no real aggression. You mention that a 10 may work for some pairs. What signs should I watch for to indicate the 10 maybe too small? Also are plants needed or is a simple bio-tope (sand with a bit of wood, leaves etc) ok?
    Pat

I have found that a 10 is a bit too small. The territory is just too small, and the females tend to get aggressive with aggies. What you can do, is take the male out when you are sure you have a spawn. Or you you can move them to a larger tank, as it shouldn't take too long to get them interested again. Your water parameters seem fine to me. The TDS isn't really that high. Anything less than 100 has always been OK for me with a few species as exceptions. Java moss and water sprite is something I have always used in my apisto tanks. If your fish are not skittish, and are secure in the environment that you have provided, then I wouldn't change it. There are apisto keepers out there that don't even use sand. At this point, let's just see what happens.

Here is my njisseni male
    Attached Images Attached Images

The female files are too large for the forum. I forget what the max size is.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by richgrenfell View Post
    The female files are too large for the forum. I forget what the max size is.
    He is a beauty Rich, size is 2MB on the file uploads.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

The female is rather interested in the top of the sponge filter. I hope she is not considering that for a spawning site. So I think the female is ready and the male is not.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast