AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of discus - are they stunted ?

Registered Member

Default Pics of discus - are they stunted ?

IMG_0883.jpgIMG_0884.jpgIMG_0885.jpgIMG_0888.jpg

Hello all,

I have had two discus in 37 gallon tank for over a month now. Had three but the blue turq was fighting pretty badly with the third so I brought him back to lfs. These two seem to get along better. The yellow marlboro tend to lightly lip poke the blue turq from time to time, but nothing ever sustained. Im actually hoping they are male and female, which will ultimately result in a pair. Not really interested in breeding however.

Anyways, I wanted all of your opinions as a friend told me that they look kind of stunted. I am unsure. I had read in the past about the eye to head ratio, but I am unsure of the validity of this. Take a look and tell me what you think.

(hope the pics work, first time posting pics here)

Default Re: Pics of discus - are they stunted ?

Welcome to the forum.
    Can't really tell what size your discus are, but they look to be less than, or around, the 3" mark.
    They seem to be well fed & healthy enough, but yes, they do appear to be stunted.

Registered Member

Yes they are around the 2.5 to 3 inch mark

Man, I was a worried about that. Too late to return them now. I chalk this up to beginner failure as these are my first discus. So if stunted is the case what would that mean exactly? just not grow out to max size? Shortened life span?

Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome btw I appreciate it.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rrokie8131 View Post
    Yes they are around the 2.5 to 3 inch mark

Man, I was a worried about that. Too late to return them now. I chalk this up to beginner failure as these are my first discus. So if stunted is the case what would that mean exactly? just not grow out to max size? Shortened life span?

Hi there and welcome to the forums!

Sadly yep, they do look stunted. It shouldn't affect their life span so long as they have good water conditions and proper high protein foods to eat but they probably won't reach full size. The turq looks to be a bit more stunted than the pigeon blood.

You can maximize their potential for growth at this point with the water quality and foods that I mentioned. How often are you changing water and how many times a day do you feed them? Also, what foods are they currently eating?

We all have had ups and downs while we were learning to keep discus, so just chalk this one up to a learning experience and let's see just how much growth you can get out of them. =)
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Discus become stunted from having been grown out under less than ideal conditions (translation: not having been cared for properly as a youngster, with insufficient water changes & kept under far from pristine water conditions).

While they may grow to some extent when later maintained under good quality water conditions and a clean tank, with good feeding and large, frequent wcs, they will not only not reach anything near optimum growth, but will likely remain quite small for their lifetime, usually not exceeding 4" or so, max. And yes, their life span may also be shortened.

They can nonetheless remain healthy and be active & well colored, if well cared for, and can even breed.

If interested, you may care to review the thread in the link below to educate yourself on what to look for in order to avoid getting stunted discus in future.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...hat-not-to-buy

Real Name
    Ralph

A third welcome to SD.
    I would consider them to be runts. Over-all as Paul mentioned to be in fair condition health wise...will they grow you ask, they might if fed well and water quality is maintained. This would mean changing water more frequently and at larger volumes. Discus are schooling fish and as mentioned in the beginners sticky a group of 6-8 would be best. You can keep these two if you want but do not introduce any new Discus without a quarantine period of at least 4-6 weeks prior to placing them in your community tank.
    I would also consider removing that wave maker or at least direct against glass pane.
    Enjoy the addiction and suggest going through the many useful threads before jumping in to deep.

...Ralph
    Last edited by Altum Nut; 08-04-2015 at 12:13 AM.
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Hey thanks for the encouragement and kindness Strawberryblonde,

I tend to do 50 to 60 percent water changes every two to three days. I know it probably should be more. The tank has three HOB filters (aqua clears 30 X2 and a 50). I feed a rotation of Hikari discus pellets, freeze dried blood worms, brine shrimp, and tubiflex worm. I also have Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes I work in. Finally, I also have a frozen food discus formula. The Blue likes all the food and really eats any of it, but the yellow is very picky as it only eats the freeze dried worms. Im trying to get it to accept the other food.

The pics below are from June 24 (about the time I first got them), so you can see if there is a difference? That brownish second blue turq is the one I took back. He definitely looks like he has a triangle body.

Im not sure if it is just hopefulness, but I feel like I can see a slightIMG_0847.jpgIMG_0848.jpg size difference in the groupings of pics, what do you guys think?
    IMG_0841.jpgIMG_0844.jpgIMG_0845.jpg

Registered Member

Also I should mention that I feed 5 to 6 times day in very small quantities to ensure they eat most of it.

Registered Member

Hey thank you Ralph, I would like to add more, but could I really add more to a 37 gallon? If so I would be all for it. I just thought I was pushing it already.
    Last edited by rrokie8131; 08-04-2015 at 12:16 AM.

Registered Member

Along with learning things as you go along you might also consider to NEVER buy discus from a lfs. The sponsors on this forum offer some beautiful, healthy fish for very fair prices. Check them out.
    Jay

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

First raising discus in a planted tank often results in stunting. That is why most of us raise them ni a bare bottom tank. Some will move them to a planted tank as adults when their nutritional needs lessen. Second they would make an awful pair. You do not want to mix PB's and Non-PB's. Third that tank is not really big enough to rally do it right. For most people I would suggest a 75 gallon bare bottom tank to raise out between 6 and 10 discus.

Good luck.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

A good rule of thumb when buying small Discus is to look for a good eye to body ratio, small eyes, to body size and that fish 1.25" - 1.5" normally wouldn't be that colorful for a fish of that age. Colorful, small fish, with relatively large eyes are generally stunted, though the stronger coloration usually makes them more attractive and easier to sell to people that aren't that experienced.

Having learned the hard way, growouts in a planted aquarium even with sand as a substrate usually don't work out. Too much bacteria and potential causes of internal infection. When I did this my juvies would stop eating and had to be treated with Kanamycin Sulfate to get them eating again, meanwhile they were missing important growth time and became stunted, and achieved less than maximum size and potential.

There are people that would argue that this is ok and that's their point of view, but as someone who invests a fair amount of time and energy raising my fish I would rather see a larger fish that wasn't hampered by mistakes during their growth stage.
    Last edited by DISCUS STU; 08-04-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rrokie8131 View Post
    Hey thanks for the encouragement and kindness Strawberryblonde,

I tend to do 50 to 60 percent water changes every two to three days. I know it probably should be more. The tank has three HOB filters (aqua clears 30 X2 and a 50). I feed a rotation of Hikari discus pellets, freeze dried blood worms, brine shrimp, and tubiflex worm. I also have Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes I work in. Finally, I also have a frozen food discus formula. The Blue likes all the food and really eats any of it, but the yellow is very picky as it only eats the freeze dried worms. Im trying to get it to accept the other food.
    Hi again,

To maximize the potential for growth in these guys, and to learn how to grow out discus, you can start now by making some changes to the water quality and the diet of these little guys. Once you have the routine down you might decide to just keep this one tank as is, or you might decide to buy a new 55g and start raising a group of discus. Either way, you'll have learned a lot, right?

So here's what to do starting tonight:

1) Do at least an 80% water change. Then, plan to do at least a 75% - 80% water change every day for the next 6 months or so. Growing discus need the minerals that fresh water provides on a daily basis in order to grow properly and plants tend to suck out all the good stuff from the water very quickly (which is part of why most people grow out discus in a bare bottom tank). The other reason for bare bottom tanks is to make it easier to suck out all the detritus that builds up in the sand/gravel so that it doesn't foul the water and contribute to a build up of bad bacteria, molds, fungus, etc.

2) During your water change, rescape the tank so that you have a large plant free area of the substrate for your discus. Discus love to graze and eat very slowly, so having a spot for food to settle where they can easily find it is optimal.
    It's even better if that area is covered with a white or beige medium grit sand. I like a sand with grain size between 0.2mm - 0.5mm. It's small enough to keep detritus and food on top of it (unlike larger grained gravels where the food and feces get trapped underneath) and heavy enough not to get sucked up when you vacuum it.

3) Buy or order online some high quality, high protein foods for your discus. The Ocean Nutrition Discus flakes are quite good - I feed them to my discus along with a mix of Cobalt Discus Flakes and some Ken's Premium Immune Booster flakes and Ken's Premium Spirulina flakes. You can also purchase Beefheart flakes if you want them.

Other excellent sources of protein are Freeze Dried Blackworms. Al, the man who owns this forum, sells them and I believe you can also purchase them from Dan. Look in the sponsor section to find the links to their websites.

Then there's beefheart. It is one of the most popular forms of protein foods for growing discus, but it does require extra attention from you since it will easily foul the water if it's left to rot. When I feed beefheart I use San Fransisco Bay Brand frozen beefheart and I buy it online to save money. Dr's Foster and Smith tends to be the cheapest. The shipping price is the same no matter how much you buy, so I often buy 6 packages at a time, then add in a couple of boxes of Prime Reef frozen foods. Be sure to only feed it when you're there to either siphon out leftover bits, or about an hour before your daily water change. Give your little guys at least 30 minutes to consume as much as they can! Like I said, they are slow eaters, so you have to be patient with them. Then do your huge daily water change and from then on, feed something like flakes or the freeze dried blackworms till bedtime.

4) You are feeding the correct number of times per day, so no need to change that. Just be sure that the amount at each feeding is large enough for them to have bits to hunt down and nosh on for 30 minutes at each feeding. If they're eating it all in 5 minutes they're going to need many more feedings a day in order to get full bellies and large growth.

5) The least messy high quality food for them to eat during the day, or when you're out of the house is FDBW's (short for freeze dried blackworms). You can purchase Lee's feeding cones to put the worms into. This will allow them to graze all day long and keep them nice and full. To use the cones, be sure that they are the all-one-piece version. The one that has a separate ring and cone won't work! Turn the cone upside down and stick it to the front of your tank. Then pop two cubes of the FDBW's into the cone and walk away. Your discus will quickly learn to eat the worms from the cone!

6) Toss out your bloodworms, tubifex, etc. They aren't good sources of protein and bloodworms in particular can eventually produce allergies for you! I fed them for 2 months in my very first discus tank and sure enough, one day I had a painful rash on my arm, next day the rash reappeared when I did my usual water change and again when I fed the bloodworms. And then I accidentally touched my face before washing my hands and had THE most painful, swollen eye ever!! Oh and trust me, your discus will love the FDBW's even more than the current dried foods you're feeding. =)

And that's it for now. Put those things into practice and you should start to see some growth almost immediately.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Real Name
    Jacklyn

while I do agree that your tank is not optional for raising young discus and that with this set up they were doomed to stunt from the beginning I do want to point out that your tank is beautiful!! The stark black against the vibrant greens of your hygro and swords is beautiful. I see the hygro corymbosa is growing like a weed for you, as it did for me before I got tired of it taking over and yanked it out. Great looking planted set up, unfortunately not ideal for discus.
    ~JACKLYN~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast