AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 75g w/ sump. Group of 25 discus grow out thread UPDATE: 2-7-16

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: 75g w/ sump. Group of 25 discus grow out thread

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    They look great in the planted tank.Too bad it's a black bottom though.
    I hope he will take good care of them.
    I hope so too

Quote Originally Posted by Mgus View Post
    Fish are looking good getting some great color and patterns. I like the solid one
    The red one? That one is an absolute bully in my tank. I witnessed something very cool yesterday, that same red one would completely got rid of all its bars one second, and the next, would show the bars really predominantly. It was lip locking with my biggest discus and today I noticed that the largest one was being submissive. I may have a new boss in town, lol.
    Last edited by rickztahone; 11-13-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Ric, been following thread. Niiiice. Can't wait for each time you update. When/what size do you plan to cut group down to final number? I know that's a little ambiguous but "round about" ?
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Ric, been following thread. Niiiice. Can't wait for each time you update. When/what size do you plan to cut group down to final number? I know that's a little ambiguous but "round about" ?
    My target will be roughly 1 to 2 months for this last cut. I might have done it sooner, however, there is a local person who is very interested in the last group and wants to take them all. However, he is in the setting up stages and I told him I'd wait so long as it didn't drag out for months. This helps me in 2 ways, 1: I know they have a buyer, and 2: It gives me time to see which ones will truly be the keepers, which is usually the problem when you sell before you see them larger.

Thanks for following along Elliot

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Ok, I included this video for 2 reason, 1: I wanted to show you guys how big these guys have gotten, and 2: My son happened to be in front of the fish tank too and gives us a great play by play, lmao. He loves standing in front of the fish tank and saying hi to the fish:

Keep in mind, this video was taken with my phone on the fly. Forgive the lower quality please.

Lastly, I had just fed their last round of BH for the day, that is why the bottom is so dirty. It is spic and span now
    Last edited by rickztahone; 11-29-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gino

Looking good!!!

shaping up nicely.

soon your assistant can help with maintenance

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusGino View Post
    Looking good!!!
    Thanks Gino

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    shaping up nicely.

soon your assistant can help with maintenance

lol, yeah, I'm sure. He is such a curious little boy. He really cracks me up. It is great to hear my son speaking more frequently.

Last year, my son was prone to ear infections. He actually had 7 of them in the last year. This obviously wasn't normal. He eventually had to see an ENT about the problem. It turns out that he had liquid in his ears that never drained correctly. So, he would get ear infections whenever his body couldn't get rid of the liquid. This greatly affected many aspects of his development. One of which is speech. Also, equilibrium and a few other aspects of his day to day.

A few months ago he had a bilateral tube implant in his ears and since then he hasn't had any infections! We have 4 different therapists working with him for speech, OT, PT and sensory issues.

Simply hearing my son speaking to my fish in the way that he does puts the biggest smile on my face. He is becoming a regular chatter box and I am so happy that we did the implants.

I know I am getting very personal here, but it is a very important part of my life, and we are constantly playing catch up with him with kids his age. This video is such a bright moment for me in just hearing my son talk that I chose to share it here with all of you. Normally that wouldn't have left my house

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Filip

Discus looking and growing great Ricardo.
    Did you reduce them to final number?
    What's their current size and age at this moment?

I'm also very glad about your son coming back on the right track after so many troubles and finding solution to his problems. I sure you'll achieve much more in future than just catching up.
    Wish you all the luck.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Discus looking and growing great Ricardo.
    Did you reduce them to final number?
    What's their current size and age at this moment?

I'm also very glad about your son coming back on the right track after so many troubles and finding solution to his problems. I sure you'll achieve much more in future than just catching up.
    Wish you all the luck.
    Thanks Filip. We are working to put him ahead of the pack now! My older daughter is academically gifted and we would love it if my son would follow in her footsteps. It is going to take a lot of hard work, but we will get there I'm sure.

With regards to the discus, they are all steadily growing. The smallest one is having a hard time getting to 4". 3.5" the last time I measured him actually. However, the big boys are all over 4" now. 2 of which are pushing 4.5". I scooped out the largest one the other day and he was not very happy about it. The smaller ones don't mind being handled, but he had a huge problem with it! lol.

I am down to 13 currently with one more round of selling to go. I will sell off 5 more and stay with the remaining in the group. I already have a buyer for the last group and have at least 4 others ready to buy them too if that falls through. It is great to know that there is that option. I know how difficult it was for me to sell my grown out discus a few years back when I was getting out of the hobby. A discus that would have sold for $150 from any one of our sponsors I was having a hard time selling them at $50! Hard to believe.

As far as age goes, they are 5 months now if my calculations are correct. I've personally had them going on 4 months now.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    lol, yeah, I'm sure. He is such a curious little boy. He really cracks me up. It is great to hear my son speaking more frequently. ...This video is such a bright moment for me in just hearing my son talk that I chose to share it here with all of you. Normally that wouldn't have left my house
    Great post in a great thread. He's a cute kid! After growing out so many beautiful discus fish, I'm sure growing out your own kids will be a walk in the park
    .................................................. .........................

Real Name
    Jacklyn

looking great ricardo, the fish and your son! you have probably mentioned this somewhere but what type tank is this? acrylic? brand??
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by ericNH View Post
    Great post in a great thread. He's a cute kid! After growing out so many beautiful discus fish, I'm sure growing out your own kids will be a walk in the park
    If only it was that easy! . The little man is a handful, but I have managed this far. My daughter is a lot more docile compared to him, lol.

My life's ambition will be to grow them (my kids) out to full potential, so full water changes for them it is!

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    looking great ricardo, the fish and your son! you have probably mentioned this somewhere but what type tank is this? acrylic? brand??
    It is an acrylic tank with rounded corners in the front. I believe the maker is SeaClear? I bought it used for $150 from a fellow Scape member and it has been a great tank so far. Few very minor scratches but nothing major really.

I really wish it was a glass tank because I just feel it is clearer with glass, but that may just be me.

Cafepress.com

i've also been told by some that as acrylic ages it loses some clarity just from light exposure, but that may be a tall tail

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    i've also been told by some that as acrylic ages it loses some clarity just from light exposure, but that may be a tall tail
    So far I have not exprienced that but I have heard people saying it as well. Actually, what I hear more often is that the acrylic takes on a yellowish tint. I am yet to see that though. My next tank (non-discus) will be 3 sided starphire hopefully. Gotta love the clarity.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

So, later today I am leaving on a cruise for a couple of days. Guess what wakes me up? My daughter yelling and screaming saying that a discus was bullied out of the tank. She said she saw the while thing and the poor thing was on the floor when I got up and run to the tank. So, this may have been a great thing because I keep my top open and I always figured it wasn't so bad since it has the acrylic thick euro brace. I guess that wasn't enough, lol.

I placed egg crate on top of the two openings and will have to find a way to cover it when I come back.

I'm glad it happened right now though and not whilst I was already gone on the cruise.

Wouldn't you know it though, the biggest and best looking 14 bar was the one that jumped out. He looks fine but I won't be here for observation. Kind of worried but can't do anything about it now.

Cafepress.com

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast