ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 75g w/ sump. Group of 25 discus grow out thread UPDATE: 2-7-16

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default 75g w/ sump. Group of 25 discus grow out thread UPDATE: 2-7-16

I have never done something like this before, so, this will be more of a full length journey from very small discus to hopefully adult sized discus. Al (Castro) was nice enough to give me the opportunity to try my hand at it by giving me 25 discus from Mr. Goh Eng Khoon. They are Fine Line Leopard SnakeSkins and they were artificially raised. Again, I have never done something like this before, growing out from 1", and I am not 100% positive I can successfully do it. I will update this thread periodically so you can follow along . The smallest I had ever grown out before was from 3" and grown out to roughly 7", but I will try my hand and this new challenge.

I more than likely should have set up a smaller tank to grow these out a little, but in the 75g they went. They are already eating BH and they all ate a lot earlier after I let them loose on the tank.

specs, 75g tank/40g sump, 25 discus, BB, will be doing 50-60% Daily WC's or possibly every other day at first since they are so tiny. Eventually, my goal is to keep 8 of them. The others will be sold off around the 3-4" size range, depending.

Enjoy

75g_4.jpg

And here is my blog on the journey:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/entry....es-babies-Blog
    Last edited by rickztahone; 02-07-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member Driftwood Mike's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Grow out thread

Looking forward to watching the journey

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Nice Ricardo to see you back into discus
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Your Welcome Rick will help as much as i can, will be very interesting to see them grow you got 14 and 9 bar fry, for those that don't know the parents here is a picture that Rick took

Untitled by rogelio_castro, on Flickr

Superb-looking parents.
    Good luck to you, Ricardo - it should be a very satisfying experience to watch these little guys grow & take on their parents' coloration.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Superb-looking parents.
    Good luck to you, Ricardo - it should be a very satisfying experience to watch these little guys grow & take on their parents' coloration.
    according to Al and others, there isn't really much telling which will look like the parents and which wont until they are older. I got a mix of 14 bar and 9 bar. We will see what turns up

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Rick is there a chance that these guys will end up in your overflow.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Rick is there a chance that these guys will end up in your overflow.
    negative. I modified the BA overflow so that there is an egg crate shelf and poret foam on top of it. It made the whole operation louder, but it helps with uneaten food/waste and to keep them out of the overflow.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Looking forward to this! That pair is beautiful, I'm sure they will turn out equally so with your care Ricardo. Following along!
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Found .25 ammonia today. May be a false positive due to prime, but still did a 60% wc. They are eating bh and forrests pellets with gusto. Super skittish though. Keeping an eye on them

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I have never done something like this before, so, this will be more of a full length journey from very small discus to hopefully adult sized discus. Al (Castro) was nice enough to give me the opportunity to try my hand at it by giving me 25 of these little ones. Again, I have never done something like this before, and I am not 100% positive I can successfully do it. I will update this thread periodically so you can follow along .

I more than likely should have set up a smaller tank to grow these out a little, but in the 75g they went. They are already eating BH and they all ate a lot earlier after I let them loose on the tank.

specs, 75g tank/40g sump, 25 discus, BB, will be doing 50-60% Daily WC's or possibly every other day at first since they are so tiny. Eventually, my goal is to keep 8 of them. The others will be sold off around the 3-4" size range, depending.

Enjoy

75g_4.jpg
    Last edited by rickztahone; 08-10-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Thank you all . For those interested, I started a blog on this grow out group. Here is the link:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/entry....es-babies-Blog

The blog will consist of much shorter entries than I would share here. It will be day to day stuff that I wouldn't include here so as to not bore any of you
    I will share more pics there along the way as well to get a more sequential chronological look at their growth.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Very cool! How old and what size are they?

Nice! Good luck with them.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Fun project for sure Ricardo! I myself like to grow them out from tiny ones. I will follow along here.

Hi Eddie! Good to see you back!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast