ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: 75g w/ sump. Group of 25 discus grow out thread UPDATE: 2-7-16

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: 75g w/ sump. Group of 25 discus grow out thread UPDATE: 2-7-16

Really nice Ricardo! Any idea of size please? I think l read in one of your posts that you think that they may stop growing in size when they start to breed?
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    How is he doing Ricardo?
    Pat
    Side scraped pretty badly still but doesn't seem to mind one bit

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Really nice Ricardo! Any idea of size please? I think l read in one of your posts that you think that they may stop growing in size when they start to breed?
    They all have to be around 6" now. I measured the smallest one and it was like 5.75" about 2 months ago, so all should be bigger than that. No breeding activity yet though

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Gotta love discus! One of my group freaked out yesterday during a WC. He literally scraped most of his scales off. They were all along the floor bottom. -1 point for 3D background.

I added some salt and hopefully it will heal soon. It looks pretty bad though. He doesn't seem any worse for wear as far as attitude is concerned.

We'll see how it goes.
    Unfortunately mine are injured on the driftwood from time to time, but I'm always surprised how fast they heal

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    Unfortunately mine are injured on the driftwood from time to time, but I'm always surprised how fast they heal
    Yup, mine is almost all healed up now. It turns a little dark at first and then clears away. Now it is just regrowing the scales.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Update time! In July they will be 2yrs old. No breeding behavior at all yet which is kind of cool. I am dreading the aggression phase.

Cafepress.com

they look good, how big are they now?

Amazing Rick, i can't believe the face spotts and i have no idea on the red but a very nice Halo

Real Name
    Phil

Magnificent truly. You have done an amazing job

Real Name
    Jacklyn

beautiful fish Ricardo. The lighting you use is perfect to pick up on the blues in their pattern.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    they look good, how big are they now?
    I keep measuring the smallest one and that one is 6" on the nose. So they are all bigger than 6". The largest one I would have to guess to be 6.75"? I'm eyeballing with all the rest really.

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Amazing Rick, i can't believe the face spotts and i have no idea on the red but a very nice Halo
    The cup cross shows much better red when I feed Al's worms with red enhancers. It is amazing how that particular discus' bars come and go in an instant. It is by far the most aggressive discus of the group as well.

As many times as I have suggested to spread out 2 feeding cones to people to limit aggression, I have never done so with this group. More so as an observational experiment than anything. While they are aggressive at times, it has never prevented any of them from eating, as you can see in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Magnificent truly. You have done an amazing job
    Thanks Phil. Still working on this group. The longer and longer I keep this group though, I wish i would have a single strain tank which has been my preference for a really long time. I have come to be really attached to the group though, and would find it difficult to part with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    beautiful fish Ricardo. The lighting you use is perfect to pick up on the blues in their pattern.
    I purposefully turned on the moonlight channel for this video. I like leaving it on most of the time because in real life it makes their colors pop even more than usual. I truly hate the white channel however. I wish they would have used more red channel mixers in this light the more I think on it.

Thank all.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Ricardo, I also hate the white channel. But the mfr said you have to set it to come on. I don't know if you realize, but you can set it to come on for one minute then go back off. For example during the day when my colored channel is on, I have the white channel come on at noon for ten minutes total then go off, that way it goes through the channel but like you said the white channel is terrible.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Ricardo, I also hate the white channel. But the mfr said you have to set it to come on. I don't know if you realize, but you can set it to come on for one minute then go back off. For example during the day when my colored channel is on, I have the white channel come on at noon for ten minutes total then go off, that way it goes through the channel but like you said the white channel is terrible.
    Yup, i do exactly that. It is on for only 1 minute a day on my setup. I like that it gets much brighter, but don't like the green cast of color it produces.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Phil

Ricardo - remind me again do you have 2 types of leopards and the mixed in cup cross...? Or is it one type of leopard and then the random cup cross...

Not too shabby for a "random" group breaker I know you have always had a liking to that one fish...

Single strain tanks are gorgeous but I was quite fond of my set-up when I had a similar flow in color but not all one. I always ride the fence on this, it is like when you have one you miss the other...

I have my wilds now and when I see that pop of your blue I miss the leopards...

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Ricardo - remind me again do you have 2 types of leopards and the mixed in cup cross...? Or is it one type of leopard and then the random cup cross...

Not too shabby for a "random" group breaker I know you have always had a liking to that one fish...

Single strain tanks are gorgeous but I was quite fond of my set-up when I had a similar flow in color but not all one. I always ride the fence on this, it is like when you have one you miss the other...

I have my wilds now and when I see that pop of your blue I miss the leopards...
    They all (minus the cup cross) came from the same 14 bar super eruption leopard parents. When they had their huge batch of fry, some had 9 bars and the others 14. The 9 bars were the regular leopards and the 14 bar ones were the eruption leopards.

The cup cross actually found its way from one tank of fry to another tank full of fry and I chose it thinking it was a leopard. Had I known I would have loved this one discus so much, I would have gotten more from Al.

Not sure Al would have let me get a whole group of those crosses though, they are his babies

Cafepress.com

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast