Real Name
    Isaac

Default Re: 75g w/ sump. Group of 25 discus grow out thread UPDATE: 2-7-16

They look amazing Rick , good job

Real Name
    Ricardo

Thanks Isaac. This has been a nice little experiment

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

These guys look amazing Ricardo. The pattern and size are outstanding. Pretty nice experiment you have going.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    These guys look amazing Ricardo. The pattern and size are outstanding. Pretty nice experiment you have going.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Thanks for sharing such a detailed journal and regularly updating it.

Loved going through the journal, it is very interesting seeing how they progressed. These Discus are truly lucky to have such a caring owner, they look really amazing (The odd one looks lovely )

Are you content with how they turned out so far or is there anything you wished you did better? I'm just curious.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Superxan View Post
    Thanks for sharing such a detailed journal and regularly updating it.

Loved going through the journal, it is very interesting seeing how they progressed. These Discus are truly lucky to have such a caring owner, they look really amazing (The odd one looks lovely )

Are you content with how they turned out so far or is there anything you wished you did better? I'm just curious.
    As of today, I am happy with this group. I'll share something I haven't shared so far. I stopped doing daily water changes about 6 months ago. I do them every other day which means 1 day they do not get BH, only worms and pellets.

I did it so that I have more time with my family. It was a willing sacrifice I did and I believe this affected how large these would get.

I think they would have been a little larger than they currently are. The smallest one is 6" and I believe this one would have been 6.5" and my largest would probably be closer to 7.25". It is currently close to 7". Again, this was a sacrifice I was willing to make to spend a little more time with my family in the afternoons.

Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    As of today, I am happy with this group. I'll share something I haven't shared so far. I stopped doing daily water changes about 6 months ago. I do them every other day which means 1 day they do not get BH, only worms and pellets.

I did it so that I have more time with my family. It was a willing sacrifice I did and I believe this affected how large these would get.

I think they would have been a little larger than they currently are. The smallest one is 6" and I believe this one would have been 6.5" and my largest would probably be closer to 7.25". It is currently close to 7". Again, this was a sacrifice I was willing to make to spend a little more time with my family in the afternoons.
    They really are amazing! Ever think about installing a drip system? I know they get some hate here but that's mostly on growouts and this a perfect example of when they can be great! It's not like they prevent you from doing other w/c, just assist when life gets too busy.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Hart24601 View Post
    They really are amazing! Ever think about installing a drip system? I know they get some hate here but that's mostly on growouts and this a perfect example of when they can be great! It's not like they prevent you from doing other w/c, just assist when life gets too busy.
    Yeah, it is a possibility I suppose but the location in which my tank is makes it difficult to add another storage bin for water.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Update time! In July they will be 2yrs old. No breeding behavior at all yet which is kind of cool. I am dreading the aggression phase.

Pat's grow out thread made me think of my grow out group . I really miss this group and I had forgotten how big they had gotten. I remember the satisfaction I had knowing I had raised these since they were little fry. It is unlike anything else and all of the grow out contestants are currently experiencing that thanks to Al. I don't know when I would have discus again considering we still haven't gotten our own home, but if ever I have a big display tank in my house, it will always have to be a discus one.

Good luck to all of you contestants. I went through up's and downs and i remember feeling bad that I was spending less time with my family. So my word of advice is this, manage your time carefully and there is a happy median there that you need to tap in to. Once you do that, the whole experience will be harmonious.

Should anyone ever want some advice from an old discus keeper, my pm box is always open to anyone willing to talk discus

Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I bet you are missing these beauty's big time Ricardo.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

They looked beautiful!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I bet you are missing these beauty's big time Ricardo.
    Pat
    Yeah, I do miss them, especially considering that they were supposed to have been my display tank stock. The feels of starting all over again is a daunting one. Currently, I am no position to have a tank. In fact, my never completed SW tank is also on the selling block currently . More than $1,500 invested in a brand spanking new tank and I can't event get $600 for it locally. Our hobby is definitely for the enthusiasts and not the money makers haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    They looked beautiful!
    Thank you Mando, they really were.

Cafepress.com

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819