ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 75g w/ sump. Group of 25 discus grow out thread UPDATE: 2-7-16

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Grow out thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mgus View Post
    Very cool! How old and what size are they?
    I want to say they are roughly 50-60 days old now. Al would know better. Size wise, there is quite a difference. Most are 1.5", but there are some under that, mainly the 14 bars, and there is one really large one which I'd say is over 2".

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Nice! Good luck with them.

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie, I'm sure I'm going to need it

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Fun project for sure Ricardo! I myself like to grow them out from tiny ones. I will follow along here.

Hi Eddie! Good to see you back!
    Barb
    I have never done a grow out like this before, so I a bit nervous about it. We shall see how it turns out

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

I posted a few pics on the blog for those interested.

Cafepress.com

Rick you are correct on age, I think is was good for them to hide behind filter till they adjust, don't be nervous enjoy them, saw your blog nice pic, it's funny how the boss fish stands out.

There is one more thing about the fry, they where all artificialy raised.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Rick you are correct on age, I think is was good for them to hide behind filter till they adjust, don't be nervous enjoy them, saw your blog nice pic, it's funny how the boss fish stands out.
    Since removing the filters and putting them in the sump, they have been a lot less skittish. My kids will pass by the tank now and they hardly head for the hills. Before they'd all hurry off behind the filter.
    Last edited by rickztahone; 08-11-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Default Re: 75g w/ sump. Group of 25 discus grow out thread

so cute, those little discus fish

Real Name
    Fred

Good to know they are less skittish, give them time.
    Putting them in the sump is not a bad idea, when the tank is too big they kinda get loss. They will feed better in a smaller space.

I think growing out discus is one of the best way to learn about them, especially if you intend to breed them latter on.
    Its also a rewarding experience. You get to see them develop and yes not all will be superstars, but to be able to say you grew them from 1.5 inch to 6-7 inch is really rewarding.

Looking forward to seeing more

Cheers,

Fred
    Last edited by jawfish; 08-12-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Thanks Fred. I have no plans for breeding. Breeding has never been something that calls my attention as part of the hobby, but I do hope they make it to the breeding stage

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Fred

Then you safe Ricardo, breeding leads to tankaholic and that's hard habit to kick

With such a group I'm sure you'll get some action in a year-year and a half. I think you'll enjoy seeing them grow and you'll probably have some diversity in the group which always make it interesting.

Fred

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by jawfish View Post
    Then you safe Ricardo, breeding leads to tankaholic and that's hard habit to kick

With such a group I'm sure you'll get some action in a year-year and a half. I think you'll enjoy seeing them grow and you'll probably have some diversity in the group which always make it interesting.

Fred
    Yup, sure thing. My goal is ultimately to grow this group out to 3-4" and decide which 8 I would like to keep. My goal would ultimately be to keep those that look most like the parents and do one strain tank only, but I'd be open to a 2 strain tank if they turn out great. We shall see.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Fred

That'll be nice... I find not enough people do strain tanks.... a whole group of the same strain is quite a sight especially if they turn out like their parents.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by jawfish View Post
    That'll be nice... I find not enough people do strain tanks.... a whole group of the same strain is quite a sight especially if they turn out like their parents.
    agreed. I've had both mixed strain and single strain, and I must say that there is nothing like a single strain tank for me. Even with the same strain, you can always identify individual discus. It is fun

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Video time! 5 days in my tank:

Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast