ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Devon's 240

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Default Re: Devon's 240

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    the sawed off stump, is there a way to bust that up some to make it look more broken and less sawed? just a thought.
    I am afraid it will just split up and fall apart, a risk I am not willing to take on an $280 piece of wood lol

Real Name
    Phil

Yea, I don't blame you! I actually really like the stump and was going to comment on how nice it looked earlier, i would leave as is...

I always heard gripes about the barbs being too fast for discus... I had them once and they seemed to be fine, what is your experience?

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

They are always in motion but never too erratic, they take there turn when eating usually eating what the discus miss or floats by. I have had zero issues with them and I got them when they were small only 1 1/2 so they grew out fine. Id think about getting a few more if I found them. Not many places have them around here.

Real Name
    Phil

Yea, when I do see them at a LFS they are always priced high!

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Those are Rose Line Sharks, (Torpedo Barbs) I have 6 of them, they are a nice medium size schooling fish that don't bother anyone.
    oh...i thought maybe they were SAE

Registered Member

The first thread I read on this forum is Devon's 240. Its epic! Real labor of love, commitment, and time. Looks like there hasnt been any updates recently? Eagerly waiting for the latest news on this awesome tank.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Quote Originally Posted by arunk View Post
    The first thread I read on this forum is Devon's 240. Its epic! Real labor of love, commitment, and time. Looks like there hasnt been any updates recently? Eagerly waiting for the latest news on this awesome tank.
    Thanks, I have not done much on this tank lately. It's is kind of on autopilot till I get the funds to buy a large group of 5''+ fish. I will be updating soon with the plumbing redo and water storage system that is going to be in place that is to come in the next month or so.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Well I bought some new plants for the refugium that sat empty for sometime. I hd bamboo that worked great for the first year but then slowly started to rot and die off. I bought 3 water lettuce plants and 3 water hyacinths and will see how they do. They arived partially frozen due to a shipping delay and the seller said if they don't make it he will send another batch. So this post is just to document the growth rate.
    image by devon cropley, on Flickr

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Well I finished a long over due project. I changed out all my plumbing and redid the whole thing top to bottom. I swapped out the 3/4" parts to 1" with Spears gate valves and Cepex true Union ball valves. I reduced the amount of 90 degree bends and changed them to 45's to help with flow. I took the Fx6 out of the system and changed to a bean animal kind of set up just without the 3rd emergency drain. The system is whisper quite and for days I kept thinking the tank wasn't on. I installed and hard plumbed my new Waveline DC12000 pump with the controls extended so they could be up stairs in the cabinet. This pump is silent for having 3170 gpm and works great. I put some pictures of how I added a 10' extension to it. I love having pump and heater controls at the tips of my fingers when needed. I also had a small leak and had to swap out a bulkhead which wasn't too hard. Now I feel like the tank is running the way it should. I might get a 75g tank and make a new sump with a K1 fluidized section and a refugium, also throw some Swiss tropics foam in there also, but not for a while. So this is my update and now the tank goes back on auto pilot till the next adventure.

Plumbing before.
    image.jpg
    Plumbing after
    image.jpg
    Waveline conttoler extension.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Really nicely done !

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Well no leaks! This makes me happy lol. I need to start thinking about expanding my discus stock but am having a internal battle over whether or not to grow out sub adults 3.5-4'' or just go all in and buy 5''+ fish? Could I dedicate the time to grow out a group for 6-12 months yes, do I want to is the question ? My current fish room allows the filling and draining of the grow out tank fairly quickly and I have 100g of water storage ready to go. But working 55+ hours a week and having a 9 month old, along with a full time saltwater tank, nano reef, and my 240g tank this seems not practical to add more to the pile and the only ones that suffer would be the fish not growing to potential. Is a high flow drip system advised for grow out tank? I have sunk a lot of money into this tank as far as equipment and building it but it only holds 5 discus along with the other miscellaneous fish. It is time to invest in a sizable group of 15 or 20 fish to complete this tank I just don't know what direction to go. Do I spent $150+ a fish or do I spent $50-$90 a fish?

When you think about all the time and effort it takes to grow them, plus food energy and water, you are not really saving any money by growing them out. IMO if you want the experience of growing them out go small. If you just want to enjoy them go big. It is a win win either way- you end up with more discus!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Well no leaks! This makes me happy lol. I need to start thinking about expanding my discus stock but am having a internal battle over whether or not to grow out sub adults 3.5-4'' or just go all in and buy 5''+ fish? Could I dedicate the time to grow out a group for 6-12 months yes, do I want to is the question ? My current fish room allows the filling and draining of the grow out tank fairly quickly and I have 100g of water storage ready to go. But working 55+ hours a week and having a 9 month old, along with a full time saltwater tank, nano reef, and my 240g tank this seems not practical to add more to the pile and the only ones that suffer would be the fish not growing to potential. Is a high flow drip system advised for grow out tank? I have sunk a lot of money into this tank as far as equipment and building it but it only holds 5 discus along with the other miscellaneous fish. It is time to invest in a sizable group of 15 or 20 fish to complete this tank I just don't know what direction to go. Do I spent $150+ a fish or do I spent $50-$90 a fish?
    I understand your situation, with limited time, and l really do think that its important to allow for family time especially since you mentioned that you have a nine month old baby. They really grow too fast and there is so much that you can miss if not careful....back on the discus.... I get lots of satisfaction watching my discus grow and develop knowing that l had a lot to do with it, and the reason l started with the smallest discus l could buy. Not only where they very cheap, but l was able to purchase a much bigger group than l wanted to keep. This allowed be to pick the better ones from the group as l thinned them down as they grew, and made a little money along the way to pay for some discus food.
    The best part was watching them develop, and able to select the better ones to keep in my now display tank.

Good luck with whatever you decide
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Tank looks amazing!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i had so many tanks and obligations that my hobby was starting to become a source of stress instead of pleasure. i was always behind in maintenance and having to give up family time to work on tanks or leave home to help friends with tanks or fulfill volunteer roles i had taken on with tanks at local establishments. i finally took a step back, sold off tanks and discontinued the bulk of my volunteer work. i now have a single tank at home and a single tank in the community and it feels like a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. dont get me wrong, i love spending time caring for and maintaining tanks, i would do it all day if i could! but at this point in my life it was taking so much of my fleeting family time away that it no longer made sense.

u will know when it gets to that point (but be careful because it creeps up on u). if u walk into the room and sit down in front of the tank and feel joy and pleasure and look forward to maintenance, its working! if u feel sadness, stress, or longing for more family time, u may want to pay the extra $ and save urself the stress.

I also agree with Jenene, u might not be saving as much in the long run as u think.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast