ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon's 240

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Devon's 240

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Devon this looks awesome!! I was worried about you in the beginning tying to do discus in a planted tank but it seems you have got it going really successfully here. Might I make a suggestion about the scape that you say you are still trying to figure out? You might try bunching your plants all together at one side maybe taking up ˝ of the tank and leaving the other half a “beach scene” or go for the island effect with all the plants bunched towards the middle and the edges a beach scene. If you go for the middle approach don’t do it exactly center, offcenter it a bit for a more natural feel. I love the island theme I am currently redoing my planted 46bowfront in an island theme actually.
    This ofcourse is just suggestions, it looks beautiful as is!
    Actually, what I believe Devon's scape needs is depth. Depth is achieved by using multi-tiered placement. For instance, you can have mid level growers and have swords behind them. Swords are notorious for being substrate hogs, so don't place them next to another heavy root feeder. HM is a good plant to keep mid level. I would suggest adding a much larger DW piece, or a branchy type of DW to either side. This will give the overall tank some depth and a more interesting look. This is not to say that it doesn't look fine as it is, but the reason you may not be satisfied with the current scape is due to the fact that it is lacking depth.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Actually, what I believe Devon's scape needs is depth. Depth is achieved by using multi-tiered placement. For instance, you can have mid level growers and have swords behind them. Swords are notorious for being substrate hogs, so don't place them next to another heavy root feeder. HM is a good plant to keep mid level. I would suggest adding a much larger DW piece, or a branchy type of DW to either side. This will give the overall tank some depth and a more interesting look. This is not to say that it doesn't look fine as it is, but the reason you may not be satisfied with the current scape is due to the fact that it is lacking depth.
    I need a larger drift wood piece and have a eye on one buy its out of the budget right know. And I want to add more depth but every time I try and re-scape I cant visualize it. Its the down side of a big tank you cant see what your doing from up top. I like the swards and the wife likes the left side of the tank. I have been looking for a model to look at to get a plant layout.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Quote Originally Posted by pavlos View Post
    Very beautiful... Your discus are really beautiful.. May I ask, how do you keep your sand so clean? What filter do you use?
    I vacuum the sand every 3 days and do 35%-40% wc. I have a sump/fuge and a fx6 running now Ill post a picture of it later. It takes about 45 min to clean all the sand but its worth it and has to be done, its amazing what gets trapped in there. I have a small vac to get between the plants.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Devon this looks awesome!! I was worried about you in the beginning tying to do discus in a planted tank but it seems you have got it going really successfully here. Might I make a suggestion about the scape that you say you are still trying to figure out? You might try bunching your plants all together at one side maybe taking up ˝ of the tank and leaving the other half a “beach scene” or go for the island effect with all the plants bunched towards the middle and the edges a beach scene. If you go for the middle approach don’t do it exactly center, offcenter it a bit for a more natural feel. I love the island theme I am currently redoing my planted 46bowfront in an island theme actually.
    This ofcourse is just suggestions, it looks beautiful as is!
    Thanks! I dove into this really fast and didn't know much and I had some troubling times and still trying to get over it. My wife thinks I'm crazy with this hobby. I still have so much to learn and understand its a long road ahead but with you guys it helps. I also like the beach idea and almost did it last weekend as Rick said I need to get a larger driftwood center piece to work off of. Think it will come together better.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    I need a larger drift wood piece and have a eye on one buy its out of the budget right know. And I want to add more depth but every time I try and re-scape I cant visualize it. Its the down side of a big tank you cant see what your doing from up top. I like the swards and the wife likes the left side of the tank. I have been looking for a model to look at to get a plant layout.
    google "Planted Tank Depth" and you can hopefully find a lot of inspirational scapes

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I vacuum the sand every 3 days and do 35%-40% wc. I have a sump/fuge and a fx6 running now Ill post a picture of it later. It takes about 45 min to clean all the sand but its worth it and has to be done, its amazing what gets trapped in there. I have a small vac to get between the plants.
    how are you siphoning sand? when i try it all is sucked out the tube. plus, it seems that all the detiris remains on top of sand, you are not seeing that?

also, cool tank.
    but after seeing what i see in that photo, i'm surprised wood is out of budget ; )

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    also, cool tank.
    but after seeing what i see in that photo, i'm surprised wood is out of budget ; )
    The tank came at a bad time but I couldn't pass up the opportunity, but as I just got married it was a unexpected expense. Waiting to recover from the initial start up cost and then wood and more fish will come in the spring.

And I use a extra large siphon and I have nothing on the top, the only thing left over after is the fresh fish poop that they like to drop on a already vacuumed area. I have got lucky with not having algae and detiris and a low ph.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

The tank came at a bad time but I couldn't pass up the opportunity, but as I just got married it was a unexpected expense. Waiting to recover from the initial start up cost and then wood and more fish will come in the spring.

And I use a extra large siphon and I have nothing on the top, the only thing left over after is the fresh fish poop that they like to drop on a already vacuumed area. I have got lucky with not having algae and detiris and a low ph.
    what kind of sand are you using?
    i will have to try a larger siphon.

looks great, very clean, if you want to see a variety of algae i'll post a video of mine : )

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I finished the 2 month qt/metro treatment and the pair of carnations is back in the tank. Had 3 and at the vary last week had a jumper so from 5 to 2 it went. Ironically he jumped out missing another QT tank by about 2''...and fell in between was a nice 6''+ fish. But now the others are healthy, active and have no intentions of hiding. Still wonder how the first 2 died so sudden. All is well so far.

albino1.jpgalbino2.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

beautiful looking snakes.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Looks like I will be redoing my plumbing this weekend, Before I do this I have right now 3/4'' vinyl inlets and 1'' drain outlets to 3/4'' pvc. I believe I should run 1'' pvc all the way down to the sump correct? and I will just replace the vinyl 3/4 with pvc?

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

So I couldn't resist any longer and I bought a piece of wood from Rich, It should be here by the end of the week any suggestions on what to do when I get the wood? should I try soaking it? It is quite large. Or can I hose it off and poor boiling water over it and then put it in the tank? I could put it in the shower and soak it in hot water?
    stump6a.jpg

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast