AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon's 240

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Devon's 240

That piece is huge! I usually suggest boiling, but others may have a better idea for something so large? I remember a member suggested using bleach before. I forgot who it was, but they said it has never hurt anything in their tank. Personally, I was skeptical about the bleach because I believed it would release the bleach later down the line, but this member hasn't had that problem. Again, I am blanking on who it was but if it comes to me, I will chime back in.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    That piece is huge! I usually suggest boiling, but others may have a better idea for something so large? I remember a member suggested using bleach before. I forgot who it was, but they said it has never hurt anything in their tank. Personally, I was skeptical about the bleach because I believed it would release the bleach later down the line, but this member hasn't had that problem. Again, I am blanking on who it was but if it comes to me, I will chime back in.
    I use bleach bath on large pieces of driftwood and never had any troubles with it. I just rinse it with burning hot water and let it sit overnight in hot water with dechlorinator and a pump with air.
    Although it looks kinda white-ish for a couple of days afterwards from the chlorine residuals I guess.

I have also done it with Pp bath strong violet solution. And also nothing wrong, except this time wood ends up s bit yellowish and kinda rusted just for a couple of days.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

What about peroxide followed by a hot shower? I have a good thing going so far with my tank and don't want to screw it up.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    What about peroxide followed by a hot shower? I have a good thing going so far with my tank and don't want to screw it up.
    H2o2 is weaker of other 2 mentioned above and easiest to rinse and evaporates quicker.
    I'm just not sure if its strong enough to disinfect all of the potential nasties.
    Maybe you can try with stronger solution such as 9% H2o2.

the wood is dry....
    curious, what are you expecting it to bring into tank?

can parasites that affect fish survive on dry wood like this, asking, i'm curious.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I am just being cautious as I had issues in the start up process and don't want to introduce anything that will mess this up. The wood is from a great source that I think most of Simply uses, so I would expect Rich to have cleaned the wood knowing that it is for aquarium use. I just can never be too cautious now. That is why I asked what should I do with this piece of wood being dry, and coming from Rich.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I am just being cautious as I had issues in the start up process and don't want to introduce anything that will mess this up. The wood is from a great source that I think most of Simply uses, so I would expect Rich to have cleaned the wood knowing that it is for aquarium use. I just can never be too cautious now. That is why I asked what should I do with this piece of wood being dry, and coming from Rich.
    No such thing as too cautious IMO. Better safe than sorry.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

So I received my new drift wood from Rich and its a great piece. I had to move a little around to get it to fit right but its in there and not I hope I can leave everything alone for a wile. I think besides a few java fern and some Anubis I'm happy for now.
    NEW TANK.jpgNEW TANK 2.jpg

looks very nice, i might have tried to reverse it so the saw cut is hidden, but also look nice like this

do you add any fert/co2 anything for plants?

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

No not any more I use to run pressurized co2 and dose but decided to do it with out it. I just run the lights on 5%-10%. If I get more demanding plants I'll go back to the co2. Trying to keep it low tech.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I think it looks awesome! The wood gives the scape a lot verticality which it was lacking prior. Looks great.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Thanks, It was driving me crazy every night I would look at it. Big tanks seam hard to scape so much room to fill up or make look natural but not cluttered. i was smart and took out the smaller pieces of wood as they didn't look like something that should be in there looked odd.

No not any more I use to run pressurized co2 and dose but decided to do it with out it. I just run the lights on 5%-10%. If I get more demanding plants I'll go back to the co2. Trying to keep it low tech.
    so in this photo, those 3 lights are at 10%

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

From left to right 10% 5% 10%, and some days 5% 5% 5% at night if my wife and I are watching a movie i'll turn them all down to 1% I tend to highlight the sides or vise versa. I have never ran the lights over 20% and I never turn on the blue channel except at night the middle light switches to 1% blue till the morning.

Thanks, It was driving me crazy every night I would look at it. Big tanks seam hard to scape so much room to fill up or make look natural but not cluttered. i was smart and took out the smaller pieces of wood as they didn't look like something that should be in there looked odd.
    big tank > bigger decor > bigger price tag

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast