ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dragon's Cuipeua F2 - 75 Gallon BB

Registered Member

Default Re: Dragon's Cuipeua F2 - 75 Gallon BB

Ok I have to give an update here. So I've been giving the good so far, so now for the bad. I've lost 2 of the wilds due to unknown factors.

The first one I lost a couple weeks ago to what I though was bloat as it has a swollen stomach. It was dark and would stay in the back of the tank. This happened really quickly (within 24/48 hrs) which I found odd as with bloat it would take a bit longer to see some problem. I treated with epsom salt and everything looked good that night and everything then by the morning boom fish was gone. Anyway I wrote it off an kept on cleaning and feeding.

Well Saturday night I noticed that another one started to show some stress and turning dark and trying to swim with the group. Mind you the group would pick on this one from time to time so I didn't think anything until Sunday when boom, another one bites the dust....WTH

The tank is cleaner that all my other tanks with close to daily/2 day WC. Feeding 2 times daily with BH and FDBW. All the others are showing no sign of anything swimming normal, eating and pooping.

All other tanks show no signs of anything. This usually is the last tank I clean in the chain and I try to keep all tank equipment separate. 2 of the tanks came from Vern and never seen any other tank mates. One came straight from Germany and again never seen any other tank mates. All tanks were bleached and air dried/cycled before seeing any discus.

Anyway I don't want to have to treat the tank but if I have to I want to nuke it with the correct meds so I'm not make it worst for the fish. I have metro/prazi and sodium benzoate which I got from a friend whose into Birds that use it as a bacterial treatment. Info can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_benzoate

I've filled out a Disease form below if anyone wants to take a stab at helping. For now I've only been doing 100% WC everyday to help the situation.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Discus turning dark/swimming to the back of the tank or staying by the filter. Problem started 2 weeks ago and now has claimed the life of a second one.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Turning dark, swimming slowly, staying to the back of the tank or by the filters

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    75 gal, 5 mths, was 6 now 4 and around 3 – 3 ½ inch

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    90% every 1 to 2 days

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    For 4 mths

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Yes age for 24 hours, ph doesn’t move

8. Parameters and water source;
    Have not tested for a while

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _83____

- ph __7.8___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading ___0_

- nitrate reading __0__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __100%__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No new fish or plants

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

it's the one on the right closest to the bottle

Darkest one in the pic

Bottom discus in the image
    [/B]

The other discus in the tank

OK if anyone has any input please hit this post.

@ Pat, you have this type of fish, have you seen this before?
    Last edited by dragon1974; 11-30-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

No nitrate readings?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Reading 0 or close to 0.

6 discus in a 75 gal tank

Registered Member

Did a full on WC lastnight and will do one when I get home again

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

Wow sorry to hear about the ones you lost. I have been keeping up with your posts because i also am growing out some f1 from Eric got 6 blue royals from him, and i have 4 left and thry are doing great now aftet have bump in the road where i lost one first which i would have culled anyway because it seemed to be deformed, but the other one died similarly to what you're talking with yours but i forgot to put my Hob back on after water change and only had spounge filter on during a metro/salt treatment, found him dead next morning, since then i treated all my four left no meds but heat treatment 95 + 3 of them immediately began to eat like pigs again, the forth one i put in hospital tank alone 97+ and metro 2 table spoons Epsom salt 7 dsys. Changef water and salt meds every other day and thank God he is now with others eating even more than them! - Lighthouse

Registered Member

Ok so I'm down to my last 2. I've started a metro treatment schedule. Funny enough the all are eating and not flashing or anything. Sat and watched them eat and poo and all showing black poo.

The only thing is when I find them dead the bodies are not dark and no stress bars show. Might be something but at this point I'm out of ideas. Lets see if the metro will clear up the last 2.

Registered Member

Sorry for your loss. Did you touch base with Vern? I've been following your threads to see how these guys turn out. Good luck with your last two

Registered Member

Nope, I was going to call him a week ago but I started to get busy with the kids ..... The last one died this morning when I went to check on the tank so I was going to email him today.

Actually I'm going to do it now.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

Have you been feeding same food the whole time? - Lighthouse

Registered Member

Yep nothing changed over the last year when I rejigged my setup. BH and FDBW. Same mixture I used in my BH for the past year

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

Maybe try changing the menu totally - Lighthouse

Real Name
    Fred

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Dragon1974.

Did Vern ever get an idea what was going on ?

Fred

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by jawfish View Post
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune Dragon1974.

Did Vern ever get an idea what was going on ?

Fred
    dragon1974 you should get in touch with Vern,I was at his place this afternoon and he said you send him an email through his own website.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Yeah I talked to him. I was going to give him an update on how it's going. Things have stabilized and the remaining 2 are not showing anything. I've bumped the temp to 30 and after talking to Vern, stopped the Metro treatment in favor of adding aquarium salt. Everything seems to have leveled out and again the last 2 seem to be normal. I'm going to do some daily WCing and by the new year see where I stand with this group.

As previously stated my other 2 tanks have not shown signs of anything other than pairing up. I can see 3 pairs in the Wild Green tank and 1 in the SP tank. We'll see what happens

Registered Member

Small update,

The last 2 F2's are looking normal, eating and playing like nothing happened

Hope they make it to the end so I can get some babies from them

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast