Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

Registered Member

Default Re: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Lets see a pic even if there are no changes! lol
    +1

I should have turned down the lights a bit, washes out the blues and it looks far more impressive in person. Or maybe just learn to use the camera better...
    00000034.jpg00000035.jpg00000036.jpg00000037.jpg00000038.jpg00000039.jpg00000040.jpg00000041.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Ricardo

Love those Kessils (they are Kessils right?). The shimmer effect is insane in person.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hart24601 View Post
    I should have turned down the lights a bit, washes out the blues and it looks far more impressive in person. Or maybe just learn to use the camera better...
    00000034.jpg00000035.jpg00000036.jpg00000037.jpg00000038.jpg00000039.jpg00000040.jpg00000041.jpg
    Im new here and just started reading your thread from the beginning. I was thinking that the first drafts of the tank looked good but was thinking "if only he would add a little sand and some simple plants"... flicked to this page and bang!! bloody well done mate. Love the look of the tank.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but i think some deep tannings and frogbit on the surface would be perfect. That would be very much a personal taste though

Real Name
    Filip

Nice jungle scape you've got there Hart. I like the natural look of your Altums tank too.
    The lights on the discus tank are awesome .It shreds the shades from the plants on the bottom so sharply it almost look like the tank is sun lit.

Wow thanks for the kind words! Yep the lights are kessils, with the goosenecks they are easy to mount as well which is a huge bonus! The sun effect is really neat with surface agitation.

For the 180 the Val gets really long on the surface and every few month I cut it off, last time I measured it at 15 feet! It just starts blocking too much light. Both tanks have had floating plants, but at some point they clog up the external overflows so I do without now.

Tannins would be cool, but along with the floating plants would be tough to pull off with how the system is automated and the purigen in the sump. No joke I spend maybe 10 min a week or less on these tanks now on average. I can't remember if I posted it but the Apex doses gluteralderhide daily for the plants and to kill BBA.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Hart24601 View Post
    Glueing was really pretty easy, but I have done that so much with the reef I had plenty of practice and it only took a few minutes once I decided on placement.
    Your tank looks amazing. Would you please explain to me the plant gluing process? Where on the root mass do you apply the gel glue? How long does it take to dry? When can you reintroduce the plant safely into the tank? Thanks for your help!

Sure thing! Now this is only for plants like Anubis or java fern that can be attached to drift wood or rock.

Use super glue gel. Has to be the gel. You can do it above or underwater! Just bug a generous glob on the roots, (I like right under the crown) about nickel size and nickel depth - the depth being the skinny part of the nickel, like 1mm. When you put the glob underwater it gets a skin on it, so put the plant where you want it and then move it back and forth maybe 1/4" to break that skin on the rock or driftwood. I generally do that attachment where you don't see it on the back of a rock for example. Hold it in place 30 seconds, it will stick if you broke the superglue skin well. It's not totally done after 30s curing, but done enough to hold in place.

If having a hard time getting it to stick you can put a dab on your finger, then rub that glue on the rock where you want to bond the plant. The glob on the roots will stick better to the glue you put on the rock with your finger.

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you so much for explaining that to me. It does seem much easier than I was thinking. I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. Have a good one mate!

No problem, good luck!

Real Name
    Filip

Hart I'm curious about why do you use Glytaraldehyde and what's your experience with it ?
    Do you use it just to kill algae or you notice other benefits to plant growth using it ?

And what's your current WC regime on the discus tank , since you said it only takes you 10 min per week ?

I have been using an automatic water change system for a couple of years on this system. When growing them out I did the standard 90% or 90% twice a day change, still semi automated but with a valve and floats to start the make up water. That was until they hit 4" at that point I noticed they ate a lot less food so W/C on that level did not seem needed.

This uses a master flex pump. RO/DI water is in a brute can that is kept up with an Avast marine barrel tender. Then every hour the masterflex pumps in this water for 10 min. I control how much based off the speed of the masterflex. Extra water drains out a sump bulkhead into floor drain.

I had it set to deliver around 20% daily but dropped that to 10% as I didn't see nutrients build up. I spend no time on W/C now, the 10 min a week is just tossing in food daily if I remember and then pulling moss off the overflows every couple weeks.

I use MetriCide 14, buy 4g at a time, for gluteralderhide. It's really for the plants but killing BBA is also a reason. I forgot off hand how much is dosed daily, I think 50ml? But need to check as I set it up once and never looked again haha. However I have had to reorder 4g three times now so it's been going quite a while.

It makes the plants really take off.
    Last edited by Hart24601; 08-03-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Registered Member

Hart24601 thanks for the inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by MickO'S View Post
    Hart24601 thanks for the inspiration!

Happy it could be of assistance!

Have not really done any work on the tank or cleaned sumps in months - just thined out some moss few weeks ago. Thought would be fun to test nitrates with salifert kit. 2ppm. Pretty good!

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast