ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

Default Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

Now that I have done quite a bit of research and settled on some discus I might as well start a build thread! Ok, perhaps a rebuild thread...

I had quite a bit of success in keeping a reef (at least from my personal opinion), but the hobby became more anxiety prone for me once I had a few medical issues come up and had to balance everything. I decided to get out while everything was still looking good and make a switch to freshwater. It was fun while it lasted though, I won an acropora grow out contest and had the tank featured. I am not saying FW isn't work, but there isn't the anxiety for me like there is with full blown reef and everything that comes with it.

I kept discus in my early teenage years in the mid 90s. I doubt by SD's standards they were very nice, but I loved them and saw this as a great chance to get back in using some of the reef equipment that I decided to keep for this purpose. I was on the fence about it, but after asking around and doing some research I decided to give discus a try again. It seems that husbandry has changed a bit from the 90s, or at least the information I had then.

I have these in my other thread, but here are some tank pics of the reef:

Registered Member

Default Re: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

wow that's colorful

The tank itself is a Miracles custom rimless, 3/4" starfire glass. It's a beast. Here is a shot of the back with external overflow and my sump plumbing, the flash makes it look not so pretty:

Last edited by Hart24601; 08-12-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Here is the equipment I will be running for the discus:

White starboard bottom. Bare bottom. Universal rocks background and rocks
    Driftwood.
    Sump with 500gph return (2 filter socks)
    Finnex titanium 500W heater with controller - and apex backup controller
    1L Siporax, 1L subsrat pro in sump
    500ml Purigen, Rox 0.8 carbon
    1.6ml/min dosing pump for prime into brute can, dose 6ml/day split over 24hr
    Auto fill for brute cans using either RO/DI or just 1st 2 filters (HMA filter)
    Apex DOS 60gallon/day WC system
    Drain in sump for water disposal, with high water float valve to turn off DOS pump via APEX
    Ozone reactor (only low dose)
    2 kessil A160 amazon sun lights controlled by APEX
    Vortech MP40qd display powerhead

I talked with Hans and will be getting 6 checkerboard and 6 leopard snakeskins. 4". The tank is cycled now, but the driftwood I bought still needs to soak as it won't sink. I picked two I really like, but I fear they will be too big to put them both in. Dang. The Osage Orange is 28x20x20:

And this guy:

Just holding them up to the tank they both seem too large for my taste, although 1 or the other will work well. I will have to try it when they sink. I cured them by soaking in RO/DI water and adding sodium percarbonate (strong hydrogen peroxide). You should see that water after soaking in that solution. Pure RO/DI only discolored a bit, but the percarbonate solution really pulled a lot of "stuff" out.
    Last edited by Hart24601; 08-12-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timvriens View Post
    wow that's colorful
    Thanks! No photoshop, just white balance on the camera. It was sad to see it go, but who needs a reef when you can have discus!

Registered Member

so true, discus rule

For a slate bottom on the driftwood just go to homedepot and get some tile? Drill and screw with stainless hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by Hart24601 View Post
    Thanks! No photoshop, just white balance on the camera. It was sad to see it go, but who needs a reef when you can have discus!
    Sounds like you will fit in fine with the rest of the Discus Nuts here! I started with salt water years and years ago, then caught the discus bug.

look forward to the rebuild!
    al

ps..it was very cool marine tank!
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

maybe you can put a rock on it ?

Just curious. Are you planning to put a top on the tank? Discus do jump.

I will not be putting a top on it. I have read up quite a bit and know there are many here that have had jumpers, but also some that have not. Many of those that had jumpers they had water right up to the rim. It may not sound like a lot, but the waterline is 2" below the top of the tank and it really does make a difference with jumpers. Not that a fish can't do it if motivated, but having fast species in the reef like anthias it wasn't a problem and even with butterfly fish, mine liked to dart up for food and normally could come up about 1" out of the water and would splash water out, but was a long way from clearing the top. It's a risk, but one I am willing to take. I will have moon LEDs to help with the transition to main lighting as well.

The tank was a gift from my amazing fiancee, and she isn't sold on the FW thing yet - she would never forgive me if I put a top on. "I didn't spend 3 grand on a fish tank to have a ugly top!!!", straight from her mouth!
    Last edited by Hart24601; 08-12-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Ok.. as long as you are aware that not having a top is risky. Discus tend to jump not because they want to. It's a reaction when they are spook for various reasons.

she isn't sold on the FW thing yet
    have you shown her the colors Discus come in? Tell her she can pick her favorites!

RE : Jumpers... without a lid I would suggest having a night light on near the tank and have the regular lights on a timer so that the lights come on 30 mins before you wake up and go off 30 minutes after you normally go to sleep. less chance of getting hit in the head with a leaping flat fish!
    hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    have you shown her the colors Discus come in? Tell her she can pick her favorites!

RE : Jumpers... without a lid I would suggest having a night light on near the tank and have the regular lights on a timer so that the lights come on 30 mins before you wake up and go off 30 minutes after you normally go to sleep. less chance of getting hit in the head with a leaping flat fish!
    hth,
    al
    Good advise, thanks! The APEX can control the lights to do that with no issue. Will the moonlights be ok for the night light? They are blue, but I have not tried them out yet. When I have used them before (not for discus) they seem to work well for waking the tank up. I can run them before and after lights out and have a total darkness period or just run them the entire night. Having moonlights on other tanks running all night I never noticed and issues with it.
    Last edited by Hart24601; 08-12-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Draining the reef and the soaking driftwood.

IMG_6860.JPGIMG_6861.JPGIMG_6862.JPG

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast