AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

very nice. Great looking DW

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Some fussing around tonight. Got the background cut and siliconed in. Although the DW wont sink wanted to move it around and try some options. Had to cut a couple the points off the big cluster and then when I was moving it the stump part broke off. I could epoxy or screw it, but I think it's better now as I can position it better and still looks like 1 piece, from a distance. Nice part of the sump, can drain the display and do work while keeping the filters alive.

IMG_6865.JPGCapture.jpg

Real Name
    Fred

Hey I get this... my 150 in the living room was a custom built for me as a reef tank... I turned into a discus tank 5 years ago and never look back.

This an impressive piece of equipment there. It will be perfect for discus..

Yes reefs have their attraction and biodiversity, but nothing beats the personality of discus. Welcome to thr club :-)

I'm looking forward to see more of this tank as things develop.

Cheers
    Fred

Real Name
    Ricardo

I'm sorry but I may have missed it, are you running a Durso?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Thanks! It's always exciting to setup something new. I was worried how the background would look, but it looks really good I think. The starboard bottom is a bit too large, I don't have a table saw so it will be a challenge to fit tomorrow.

The drain system is a modified bean animal. Although now I drilled the sump with an open drain line, so the 3rd hole emergancy drain isn't really needed, but it doesn't hurt anything. I split the main siphon line right before the sump to use 2 socks I think there is a pic. Works great and silent. There is flex PVC so the drain is under the water despite being inside the socks.

Registered Member

Really nice wood, but maybe you can turn the left piece around, so its with the branches down ?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Very nice. Love how quite that overflow is.

Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by timvriens View Post
    Really nice wood, but maybe you can turn the left piece around, so its with the branches down ?
    That piece has the base cut flat to sit nice, it's hard to capture in that photo, but I really wanted some DW that would raise up and branch out of the water and even come outside of the footprint of the tank to highlight the rimless aspect. I think turning it over would look nice when just looking inside the tank, but idk how it would look when viewing the tank overall with the base above the rim. The base might also obstruct the top down view, but I will try it out, and thanks for the comment! As I said it's hard to capture in the photo, always disappointing when pics looks worse....

Real Name
    Tim

[QUOTE=brewmaster15;1168897]have you shown her the colors Discus come in? Tell her she can pick her favorites!

This is very good advise! It has help me get more tanks and discus!
    Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!

I did show her pictures of adult fish... she said that she wasn't into fish all that much, more coral. How sad is that? I figure discus will change her mind though!

Registered Member fishtanktenderfoot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steph

You have a beautiful set up, and it should produce very happy fish! Good luck with it all... And by the way, when I decided on a discus tank, my hubby was not very interested, either. He figured on a pretty generic "fish" tank. But once the fish start watching us through the glass, and wagging their fins when they saw food in our hands, and eating out of your hands, he was converted! I bet the same happens for you.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtanktenderfoot View Post
    You have a beautiful set up, and it should produce very happy fish! Good luck with it all... And by the way, when I decided on a discus tank, my hubby was not very interested, either. He figured on a pretty generic "fish" tank. But once the fish start watching us through the glass, and wagging their fins when they saw food in our hands, and eating out of your hands, he was converted! I bet the same happens for you.
    Thank you! I bet you are correct, she recently saw some dwarf puffers and just loves them, so I got her a 10g tank just for the puffers! Once the discus become family members and develop some "personality" she will hopefully love them too.

So I drilled the sump and added a 1/2" drain line, but it's pretty small. I am going to re-drill it and go with 3/4" bulkhead and line to the drain. The AWC system only adds ~2.4 gallons per hour, but the extra size will make me feel better. I can't go with 1" because that is a bit too large of hole in the wall before I get in trouble. Even 3/4" is pushing that, but I think I can get away with it!

Have the high water float installed in the sump. Will test with APEX tonight to turn of the DOS pump as an emergency backup.

Whew. Got the starboard trimmed last night, that was a process... The GF did a lot of it, she is better at that sort of thing and getting it to fit! Nice she is helping out, will make her feel more invested in the tank. Silicone on back ground cured so filled the DT back up. Also got some moonlights installed. Have continued to add ammonia to the sump to keep feeding the bacteria on the ceramic media. The tall DW doesn't quite sink yet enough to fully stand, but will if propped up. The moonlights are nice, they are not all that bright although they appear so in the photo! Hopefully enough to keep the discus from getting spooked. Bliss (my GF) admitted it was looking pretty nice. And she doubted my vision! haha

1.jpg2.jpg
    Last edited by Hart24601; 08-14-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

very nice set up OP, I think this reef ready tank will serve you well for your discus. I actually think the tank looks great with just the one piece of wood you have in there now.
    ~JACKLYN~

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast