ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

Quote Originally Posted by Hart24601 View Post
    It has been quite the ride, I am not really sure what brought me back - I think seeing those LSS breed over and over and do ok over time gave me hope.

I probably just had some bad luck and you will have great success with your fish! What strains did you get? Those LSS are super tough that I got!
    I got a blue diamond, fire red, pigeon blood blue, and a brilliant turn. And not gunna lie, the other night my little fire red kicked the bucket pretty unexpectedly, but I do blame myself. He was very stressed from the blue bullying him(red was the runt) and started to not put up with it well and wasn't eating much. To top it off I had a heater malfunction and it dropped my tank over night from 84 to 77. That day he didn't eat at all and say in the top corner by the heater. Next morning same spot but dead
    So at this point I have to think it was the stress coupled with the temp drop did him in. The other 3 have been doing great. Maybe you were right about the fire red strain being weaker or something? Who knows, he was just a little guy though and I feel bad. Can't imagine loosing 10+ like that, totally understand jumping ship at that point.

I'm sorry to hear about the little guy. It's hard to tell what happens sometimes.

Time for update, all 8 are going well and growing. Wow do they eat like crazy. It's insane. At least 5 cubes of fdbw or more per day along with pellets on a timer (not many) and frozen food too. Here is a video, I think they are looking good, great color for their size and they seem to have a good eye/body ratio from what I can tell. The light isn't the best and hard to feed one handed. One got scared and hid, but don't worry they all eat like pigs. I have been doing at least 100% daily changes, with the amount they eat I don't see how you could grow a large batch and not change that much. Of course I don't think they have to be fed this much!

https://youtu.be/4IEkEjWKPeE

The three pics are kinda crazy. Granted exposure on camera phone isn't the same, but the 1st pic is shortly after arrival, 2nd pic is 1 week later and 3rd is 2 weeks after that or 3 weeks since 1st pic.

IMG_8503.jpgIMG_8514.jpg

Last edited by Hart24601; 12-16-2016 at 05:22 AM.

Lots of growth!IMG_8583.jpg

So this is pretty amazing. I decided to start a water lettuce refugium under the 180. Keep in mind this gets 15% daily RO/DI water changes (plus purigen uv and a bunch of other stuff) and nutrients are very low.

These pictures are 1 week apart. Just 1! When these arrived the roots were trimmed under 1" and most fell off - so all the root growth is in a week. You can see some tiny brown roots that were there a week ago but only a couple.

I tossed the 3 parents and left the 7 babies they made this week. Yep a week ago there were no babies but the real story was in the roots.

IMG_8549.jpgIMG_8589.jpgIMG_8593.jpgIMG_8592.jpg

Quick update, everyone continues to do great. Very impressed by these Tony Tan discus. So much so that I am going to make my 180 discus only with TT stock. Ordered 8 more 2.5" but blue diamonds. I think the blue and red will go well together in the tank. Got the BD last week and they look fantastic. Working on getting them on to FDBW and the RRR I am working on getting accepting hikari discus pellets. About half are eating pellets now and one picks pellets over the FDBW!

Real Name
    Phil

I'd love to see pics ! Glad to hear things are going well

Here is a poor cell phone pic, my phone still doesn't like those blues in LEDs, I guess that hasn't changed since my last one, haha.

The blues went though 2 week observation, pazipro and levamisole and added to the RRR. They came from the same building as the RRR's but I treat everything for worms and flukes.

d.jpg
    Last edited by Hart24601; 01-12-2017 at 01:30 PM.

It's interesting to watch the changes in the RRR. The larger ones are somewhat fading from intense reds to more tangerine like Tan's photo of parent stock. It will be fun to see how they develop. Maybe next weekend will pull the big one out to measure growth again.

Here is the biggest guy. They grow fast! About a month from the 1st group pic. This guy is the biggest, and has had over 1" of growth this month from under 3 to around 4.

IMG_8656.jpg

Puffer update in the 120. Watch your fingers...

https://youtu.be/1EBvtNmN1c8

dang! i didn't know they did that.

Everyone still doing great. Most now eat discus hikari pellets too. One thing I wonder, when should I move the rrr to the 180. Most are 4", the 40B will eventually get crowded. I think at some point their feeding will slow down meaning they won't need the 100 to 150% daily WC. The 180 gets drip changed 25% daily and that's after using drip calculator to see the true w/c percent. It also has all the goodies like uv, purigen, carbon, water lettuce, pothos and the like.

Everyone still doing well. Moved RRR into the 180 now. Also put water hyacinths with the water lettuce and they seem to be out competing the WL which is surprising to me.

d.JPG

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

How often do you have to WC a 180? Once a week? Are you still able to grow them out with a super high protein diet? I'm looking at moving my discos to a much bigger tank soon but I worry about the maintenance. Those TT RRR's are look'n good man.

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast