AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

Default Re: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    very nice set up OP, I think this reef ready tank will serve you well for your discus. I actually think the tank looks great with just the one piece of wood you have in there now.
    Thanks! I like just the 1 DW too... I am torn because the other DW was so expensive! I hate to not use it for anything and I don't have any other tanks it would fit in. I also have the riverstone pack from universal rocks, but not sure if I will use them. I need some real rocks to hold the starboard down. I don't want to get it cluttered.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Hart24601 View Post
    Thanks! I like just the 1 DW too... I am torn because the other DW was so expensive! I hate to not use it for anything and I don't have any other tanks it would fit in. I also have the riverstone pack from universal rocks, but not sure if I will use them. I need some real rocks to hold the starboard down. I don't want to get it cluttered.
    I didn't want to offend you OP but I think the two types of wood together looks kind of un-natural and weird. Please don't be offended its just my opinion. To me it looks like you are going for a natural biotope ish looking tank, the wood that you have not put in yet, is not the type one would find in the amazon. The manzanita piece you got from rich would definitely be in the amazon which is why I like it better. I personally think you should turn your manzanita piece sideways and just use it. Maybe get some more pieces from Rich and scatter them in there and leave out the other piece all together. save it for a rainy day, you may need it in the future.
    ~JACKLYN~

Don't worry, I am not offended! I appreciate the input.

I will have to think about it some more. I don't like that piece on it's side though, I want more vertical orientation over horizontal, but I will give some more thought to another manzanita. I see a lot of horizontal layouts and really want to try something a bit different. I am not sure how different the types of driftwood would look overtime though.

Not really trying for any biotope or anything, just whatever appeals to my eye. To me since the discus I am getting have been captive bred for decades and natural biotope for them would be nothing in the tank and a sponge filter in the corner! I figure any river (especially the amazon) has a ton of different types of trees and all sorts of wood will be found together. Osage orange may not be found there, but I am sure there is some sort of tree in the amazon whose weathered heartwood looks pretty darn similar, many of the gnarly ultra-hardwoods look similar - I think cebil is found in that area and is quite similar. Although my rock wall background isn't very amazon either, haha.

If anyone else has any thoughts about the DW I would like to hear it, the above was just my thoughts initially. Keep in mind the iphone pic without water isn't exactly true to life either.

My thought might have gone out the window. It does look pretty nice on the side, but it would have to be anchored to something. Just slate tile from Home Depot with a SS screw?

image.jpg
    Last edited by Hart24601; 08-14-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

YES!!!!! I like it like this the best, this looks really cool. do it this way!!!
    ~JACKLYN~

I like it, this looks like it will be it, although the rock will probably change. But after time the DW will sink forward, I want to keep it up. How?
    Last edited by Hart24601; 08-14-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

suction cup it to the corners!!! like what this guy did here http://www.petturtlesandmore.com/wp-...latform-23.jpg you can even get the suction cups that can screw into things off ebay, just use stainless steel screws if you go that route. You may can fashion zip ties to hold the suction cups on
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

I think you got it right! Looks good to me. Adding some different size rocks will finish it off!

Ok. Might be final here. Got bottom (now) trimmed sorta flat - enough - drilled slate and put a SS screw in. It's not tight, but will keep the wood from falling forward. I went with a grey tile, was hard to try and match the lighter colors, and then I can keep the big other rock in since now they go together. Thoughts? Put some of the fake rock in there too. Sideways allowed to drop the lights a bit for less spill. Excuse the cloudy water, was a lot of trimming and putting the wood back in. Also got the 3/4" drain installed instead of the 1/2".

image.jpg

Real Name
    Jacklyn

looks great!!!
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

[QUOTE=Hart24601;1169320]Ok. Might be final here. Got bottom (now) trimmed sorta flat - enough - drilled slate and put a SS screw in. It's not tight, but will keep the wood from falling forward. I went with a grey tile, was hard to try and match the lighter colors, and then I can keep the big other rock in since now they go together. Thoughts? Put some of the fake rock in there too. Sideways allowed to drop the lights a bit for less spill. Excuse the cloudy water, was a lot of trimming and putting the wood back in. Also got the 3/4" drain installed instead of the 1/2".

If you wanted a cleaner look you could get rid of the slate and screw though the starboerd to hold the DW

Dang...

That's a good idea.

Woot. Got it attached to the starboard. Hope it holds up over time, but should it not I guess can always come up with something else or go back to slate.

Amazing. Ph out of the tap is right around 9. After sitting overnight drops to 6.5. Guess there isn't much co2 in the tap water?

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast