ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

Registered Member

Default Re: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

Quote Originally Posted by Hart24601 View Post

The drain system is a modified bean animal. Although now I drilled the sump with an open drain line, so the 3rd hole emergancy drain isn't really needed, but it doesn't hurt anything.
    Hi, Hart. I'm new to both discus and drilled tank/overflows, so I'm here trying to learn. I am slowly making my way through the beananimal overflow thread. Could you explain your statement above, please? Maybe with pictures?

Ok. So here is the overflow with the back acrylic cover removed. Left to right. Emergancy pipe, trickle pipe (has a small hole drilled on top to create siphon if water gets too high), and siphon pipe. image.jpg

The return section of the sump doesn't hold a lot of water, there is a divider between the main part of the sump and the return, so even if you blocked the siphon and trickle tubes water wouldn't flow over the top of the tank or even to the emergancy pipe because only the return section of the sump gets the water pumped out and the pump runs dry. Most of the water in the sump would remain because it has to flow over that 9" tall divider. So really it's not possible for the emergancy drain to be used in my case, many people need it though. image.jpg

I recently installed a bulkhead in the sump and a 3/4" line straight to the floor drain as well - something not normally done - so I can just add water and the extra goes right down the drain.
    Last edited by Hart24601; 08-15-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Looking nice. My one suggestion would be to reduce the amount of stones you add to the display. I believe in the less is more philosophy, although others may disagree. I think if you removed a few of them, the overall look would improve. Keep the stone that is covering the slate and maybe a couple others. These stones serve as a great place for detritus to accumulate as well as places for your discus to hide. Give them a place to hide, they typically will.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Thanks. I will still play around a bit with the number of stones. It does look better in person though, it's hard to get the depth impression with the picture, makes it look a bit more crowded than it really is, but I was thinking about taking some out. Still not 100% though.

Finally routed everything up through the apex. After the tear down was easier to bypass it and use strip outlets for a while. The apex has a energy meter, running on 530w with heater on total. It was over 1,200 with the reef, and that was even with ultra efficient AI LED lights!

I did out some rock. Funny what people get excited about. At the lfs and the gf noticed marimo balls. Figured it might look cool on the starboard rolling around with the vortech. Well she absolutely loves them. Looks like more moss balls are in my future! I like them too, so it's ok. Kinda neat seeing them roll around. Can take out and clean as needed.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I did out some rock. Funny what people get excited about. At the lfs and the gf noticed marimo balls. Figured it might look cool on the starboard rolling around with the vortech. Well she absolutely loves them. Looks like more moss balls are in my future! I like them too, so it's ok. Kinda neat seeing them roll around. Can take out and clean as needed.
    having them tumble and being non-stationary will more than likely cause them to die. They aren't an overly resilient.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Really? I thought they were round in the wild because of all the water movement. When not rolling they get strange shapes and you have to make them round again by rolling with your hand? At least that is what I read about them.
    Last edited by Hart24601; 08-16-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    having them tumble and being non-stationary will more than likely cause them to die. They aren't an overly resilient.
    I have not had the same experience as rick with my marimo balls. I have probably 8 large marimo balls in two different tanks. They all move with the current or with the corydoras pushing them around, and all do well. I take them out and squeeze them and clean them then plop them back in my tank. Never put any with my discus but I don't see why they wouldn't do well. I cant seem to get rid of mine now actually.
    ~JACKLYN~

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    I have not had the same experience as rick with my marimo balls. I have probably 8 large marimo balls in two different tanks. They all move with the current or with the corydoras pushing them around, and all do well. I take them out and squeeze them and clean them then plop them back in my tank. Never put any with my discus but I don't see why they wouldn't do well. I cant seem to get rid of mine now actually.
    Happy to hear this! Anything that gets Bliss excited about the tank is a good thing! She thinks they look like the dust spirits from My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away. I have to admit they do kinda look like that.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Glad to hear that too! Maybe I can start keeping this again. I had some in a small tank that had a lot of current (10g) and because it rolled around so much and died, I thought it was due to water movement. I went over on TPT and did see that people have theirs rolling as well. I may not have had a suitable tank for them . I can always try again though. Thanks for bringing this up. I really like the look of the marimo balls.

Cafepress.com

Let's try a video. She wants even more of the balls, haha.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

this tank screams for wild strains, single species, heckels .......that's it, this tank screams heckels to me!! I like the moss balls, gosh those are small, you should get with a guy that sells huge ones in bulk over on theplantedtank.net its another forum like this whats his name I cant remember but he has really big balls..............had to say it!

edit: they have them on amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rimo+moss+ball way cheaper than at the pet store. I have bought from invert obsession many times, they are good.

HECKELS OP, HECKELS
    Last edited by jmf3460; 08-18-2015 at 08:14 AM.
    ~JACKLYN~

The balls in there are a bit over 2", so they are not all that tiny, haha! I actually ordered that exact link from amazon yesterday after Bliss said she wanted more.

I do have to admit that heckles would be sweet looking in there. I read they are more advanced though, and I am not quite ready for that! Plus I already paid Hans 1,400 to hold on to so leopard snakeskins and checkerboard for me! But I agree that heckels would be amazing in there. I will be adding about 100 cardinal tetras too.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

I do have to admit that heckles would be sweet looking in there. I read they are more advanced though, and I am not quite ready for that! Plus I already paid Hans 1,400 to hold on to so leopard snakeskins and checkerboard for me! But I agree that heckels would be amazing in there. I will be adding about 100 cardinal tetras too.
    good lord I cannot wait. 100 cardinals will be awesome!
    ~JACKLYN~

I do have a question. The cardinals and discus are arriving only a couple days apart. I was planning on keeping the tetras in a 44g brute can to make sure they are all healthy, or should I put everything in the display since really they are all new? That makes me nervous with all that $$ in discus, but normally if you get multiple fish at the same time they all go into the same QT tank (at least I did), so would they all go in the display?

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast