ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Miracles custom 120 rimless reef to discus

we know u are getting your discus from hans, where are the cardinals coming from? they will need their own separate qt bt a brute tc wont work you wont be able to see them to monitor them. You need like a 20 gal long for them for like a month or so...are the cardinals wild??
    ~JACKLYN~

Yea, jumbo cardinals from aquabid. They are wild and the vendor said he treated for external parasites.

I have a 20L sitting around as well as rubbermaid rectangular bins and have used them all for QT at some point and like the brute can the best just because I have found some fish like enclosed round walls after shipping so they can see and not hit the sides plus get a nice circular flow, the top down view has never been a real issue, but I can use the 20L if it's that much better.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

chances are they are from John (snookn21) he does qt his wild caught fish but you don't know how long he has had them. my advice is to qt in the 20L for quite some time until you are 100% sure that they have no disease. I currently have a large group of cardinals in qt from John. I have not treated them for anything, just monitoring them and waiting until they are big enough to go into the show tank. I have had them in qt for a month now.
    ~JACKLYN~

Yes, they are from John. He must be the "go to" for large groups of cardinals!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Hart24601 View Post
    Yes, they are from John. He must be the "go to" for large groups of cardinals!
    well at least quality ones

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

SimplyDiscus Sponsor
    Real Name
    Jamie Elder

Very Cool!!! Exciting to see the end result :-)

If I were you, I would put the discus in your beautiful new tank, and keep the tetras separate, in a different room even, for 2 weeks to monitor for health. Then I would take one of the discus and put it in with the cardinals for 6 weeks. Only after successfully passing this test would I combine the two. I've had to cull my entire discus population twice due to bringing in infected fish. It's a hard lesson to learn. -Don

Good call. I asked Hans and he said to QT for 4-6 weeks. The trying one discus at that time is a good idea.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

ahh yes the chosen discus, choose your runt to do this. or the one lowest on the chain of command after observing their behavior for a while.
    ~JACKLYN~

It will be interesting to see if I can catch one when the time comes... but that is a month away, haha.

For a slate bottom on the driftwood just go to homedepot and get some tile? Drill and screw with stainless hardware?
    that is what i do, with a galvanized screw, though most of the wood i buy sinks

If anyone else has any thoughts about the DW I would like to hear it, the above was just my thoughts initially. Keep in mind the iphone pic without water isn't exactly true to life either.
    once you get some algae or tie on some moss it will blend, but i took the miss match colors out of mine and it looked better

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    I have not had the same experience as rick with my marimo balls. I have probably 8 large marimo balls in two different tanks. They all move with the current or with the corydoras pushing them around, and all do well. I take them out and squeeze them and clean them then plop them back in my tank. Never put any with my discus but I don't see why they wouldn't do well. I cant seem to get rid of mine now actually.
    those moss balls are tough IME, i tore one in half to see what would happen and it kept on going.

i don't like the look of them so i hide them behind wood, they are supposed to help with algae, but i haven't seen that happen

Well the cardinals are in QT now. 5 dead, not too bad. Will stay there several weeks at least.

Ordered a gold nugget that will go in QT as well. Always really liked them.

Discus arrive tomorrow!

if your driftwood is leaching and you don't like the look, i found purigen works to absorb the tannins very well. the purigen regeneration process is tedious, and the material itself doesn't smell very pleasant. a very strong fish smell

post pick of gold nugget.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast