AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plants in Clay Pots

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

Default Re: Plants in Clay Pots

Thats great to know! Now i can look for glass containers instead of plastic, glass looks so much better. - Lighthouse

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse7 View Post
    Thats great to know! Now i can look for glass containers instead of plastic, glass looks so much better. - Lighthouse
    make sure to run a bead of silicone around the bottom or put dots in the corner so you don't scratch your bb tank. oversized shot glasses work well, juice glasses, pint sized quart jars and the jelly jars work well. and for big swords, mason jars etc.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    make sure to run a bead of silicone around the bottom or put dots in the corner so you don't scratch your bb tank. oversized shot glasses work well, juice glasses, pint sized quart jars and the jelly jars work well. and for big swords, mason jars etc.
    well glad to know there is ONE other reason why oversized shot glasses are good to have
    Last edited by rickztahone; 08-18-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Jacklyn

I cannot think of any other reasons Ricardo
    ~JACKLYN~

I generally use common sand. I use Gorilla Glue or Crazy Glue to adhere a small piece of plastic on the drain hole. My Plecos like to nest in the well and throw sand onto bottom of the of the tank. This glazed pot from Home Depot houses an 18" Radican Sword. They're really spectacular when they get to this size. DB (90)[1].jpg
    Last edited by DISCUS STU; 08-20-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    I generally use common sand. I use Gorilla Glue or Crazy Glue to adhere a small piece of plastic on the drain hole.
    I just use a small rock to cover enough to keep substrate in. I have in the past put a very small amount of sandy soil/peat mixture on the bottom in pantyhose with a knot works well the plants really dig in so to speak but too much can create a bad problem, also if you need to re-pot you can break major roots. That's why i use only about 1" in the bottom it is easier to cut and save the larger roots.

Flourite goes on top of the soil it is the only other substrate i use.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    I do not, but I will tell you I like to use glass jars even better than the clay pots, it lets me see the roots and they do not have a hole in the bottom, see these pictures. oh yea I do put a couple dots of silicone in the corners of the bottoms of my glass jars first just so its not glass on glass when I put them in the tank.
    Attachment 89148Attachment 89149

don't get me wrong, the clay pots work well too but I prefer shot glasses or small mason jars bc I like to see the roots and such
    What a great idea! I keep Clown and Bristle Nose Plecos to control algae and they always hang out in the pots. It would be pretty cool to check them out in there.

Quote Originally Posted by nabilbb View Post
    Thanks Jacklyn,

Do you have Algae problem with the plants? if so, what do you use? any kind of fish?
    Clown Plecos, Bristle Nose Plecos, and Farlowella.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    I generally use common sand. I use Gorilla Glue or Crazy Glue to adhere a small piece of plastic on the drain hole. My Plecos like to nest in the well and throw sand onto bottom of the of the tank. This glazed pot from Home Depot houses an 18" Radican Sword. They're really spectacular when they get to this size. DB (90)[1].jpg
    Can glazed colored pots be used? - Lighthouse

Registered Member

why not some use glazed spawning cones. I'd only be concerned with lead in some glazes but that is just me.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I am a potter. I know that not all glazes are safe to use in an aquarium. Be very careful. My glazes are safe, but a lot may not be. Glass and unglazed pots are fine.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

My pots are safe to use and I've used them for years but first I immersed them in water for about a week before adding them to my tanks. Yes, they should be checked before adding them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

How can know if they are safe?

Real Name
    Ricardo

buy from Barb

lol, sorry, couldn't help myself.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

The only way to test glazed pots would be to try one out in a tank of fish and see what happens in some time. I wouldn't use discus for the test though. A lot of cheap pottery from underdeveloped countries is glazed with the bad stuff. Be very wary.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast