ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting setups

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Lightbulb Lighting setups

Hello fellow members I thought I should start a section where we all can post are lighting setups as my self and others frequently ask what lights are being using when we see these great pictures of there tanks. Lets post what kind of lights they are LED, compact florescent, What brand and model they are and where you bought them from (links would be helpful) and what the cost was, or if they are a DIY light where you bought the supplies. Think of this as a short cut for all your lighting information. And don't forget post a picture !

My lighting system consists of 3 165w dimmable full spectrum programmable LED fixtures that I found on eBay for $145 each made by Aqua Star (they have many names but are all the same.) They are normally reef lights but I don't use the blue channel vary much only 1-2%. The hangers are made out of steel conduit bent with a bender and threaded eyelets to attach the light hanging kit to the pole. I could not find hangers large enough to fit the tank.

Hope this will help others

TANK4.jpg

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Default Re: Lighting setups

Come on guys I keep seeing posts about lights let see what you got and what it is! I added a better picture with less cloudiness.
    NEW TANK.jpg

Real Name
    Filip

I use T5- HO neon tube lights in my 65 gallon tank .
    They have been reccomendet to me as a good lights for growing plants and cheaper then their LED grow light counterpart. And from my experience they did their job growing plants very well..

I got 3 T5-HO neons x 54 watts each so it makes a total of 162 watts.This is very strong light and right now i use mostly only two of them - 108 watts.
    I got reflectors for each tube and they do make lights stronger by at least 30% .

The 3 tubes are different Kelvins 3000-yellow, 6500 -daylight and 8500- strong daylight -strong white colours , and the diversity of Kelvins and tube colours really make discus look bright and natural .

They cost me about 50 dollars with the whole electrical backup and the reflectors and i mount them my self on the tank lid.

i will post pictures of tank in another post tommorow becouse they are stored on my P.C.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    PJ

anyone else know where to buy GroBeam 1500 Ultima. this light fixture is from the UK. found one site here in the USA that sells it. looking if there are other people selling them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    sue

IMG_7233.jpg I just purchased 2 4' led pod lights for my 125g. I am really pleased with how it creates light and dark spaces in the tank. specific blues are on a dimmer so you can create different looks. now to find a timer for them.

Real Name
    Carmelita

I have been looking for. Led light for my 90. Gallon hard to find here in Canada for reasonable price . My tank is deep so I needed to find one that will reach plants on floor any sugestions ?

I just bought a cheap Aquaneat Led. I'm absolutely delighted with it. I'll buy more over time. There are several different types. I got this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUANEAT-LE....c100677.m4598
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

I use Fluval plant LEDs. a 48 inch on my 75 gallon tank and 24 inch on my 20 gallon tank.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

I'm really cheap... I make my own from LED strips off ebay .. maybe the strip and power adapter cost me $5-10 . The fish don't seem to care.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50CM-U-Alum...5X2q4K4GFsG0Dg

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I'm not cheap, just poor. I will spend money on a good light that enhances the color of the fish. The the blue and white lights don't do a good job, IMO. What I bought looks to be a knock of of the Finnex lights. It has blue, white, green and red/pink. Makes the tank look good.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm not cheap, just poor. I will spend money on a good light that enhances the color of the fish. The the blue and white lights don't do a good job, IMO. What I bought looks to be a knock of of the Finnex lights. It has blue, white, green and red/pink. Makes the tank look good.
    Lol... i won't tell my Fish Liz that I am not doing them justice. Lucky for me they don't know. I usually use warm whites on them and I think they look pretty good.When I get fancy I string a blue and warm white together which gives me a look I like. To each is own. But hey you are talking to a guy that makes the tank hoods out of foam board when he can or cheap plexy. I only have one show tank in my livingroom, the rest are function over form.

2018-12-03 19.23.44.jpg

looks ok?
    al

down and dirty.. copper wire coil keeps the light off the glass.

2018-12-03 19.27.26.jpg

ugly I know.. but it works very well.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 12-03-2018 at 08:30 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Looks dang good. If you tell me that that fish is the parent of the babies I have coming from you I will be overjoyed. It reminds me very much of my sterile home grown male, but your fish is better.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Looks dang good. If you tell me that that fish is the parent of the babies I have coming from you I will be overjoyed. It reminds me very much of my sterile home grown male, but your fish is better.
    Then you my friend will be very overjoyed.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Oh, be still my heart. The good lighting shows him more clearly than the other pics I've seen. You, sir have a show fish. I'll do my very best to do the kids justice.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I'm really cheap... I make my own from LED strips off ebay .. maybe the strip and power adapter cost me $5-10 . The fish don't seem to care.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50CM-U-Alum...5X2q4K4GFsG0Dg

al
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast