AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting setups

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: Lighting setups

On the subject of lighting, I really like systems where you can control the duration, intensity and hue of the light.
    TC420 controllers work really well and are inexpensive (you can get them for about $20 from China or about $30 on Amazon). The issue I have is finding quality waterproof LED bars to use with it. I use the only sort I can find ready made that is kind of made on the cheap, 1 meter sealed aluminum bars with 7020 12v diodes for cold white (6000k) and warm white (3000k) and even lesser quality RGB bars with 5050 diodes. For a discus tank or even a reasinably ambitious low tech tank they do good enough a job, it would be nice though to be able to purchase similar individual type of LED bars, just better quality: better diodes (cree, philips, epistar) even of the newer Chip On Board type.
    Anyone come across any?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and just starting to put my tank together.

I'm looking for advice on lighting - my tank is a rimless 60x60x60cm tank and I've been looking at the following lights:

https://aquariumstoredepot.com/produ...r-led-lights-1

https://aquariumstoredepot.com/produ...dge-led-lights

https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/a...twinstar-600sa

Budget wise looking to spend between £150-250 and would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,

Paul

Real Name
    Tom

Those are some expensive lights. Look at the hygger 957 the finnex HLC and the vivagrow 24/7. These lights will do the same and are a lot cheaper.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Tom - so if you had to pick the from that list for a 2ft wide by 2ft deep tank what would you go with?

Real Name
    Tom

There all good and I use all of them. My tanks are 24”deep and I use 2 on my tanks for plants. But one would be fine just for color. Finnex is the best and thinnest. Hygger is a great option and cheaper and easily set up.

Registered Member

2 x Dymax spaceX freshwater.
    CBE0ED7F-D3FB-4EAD-A45F-10BA4A497BD3.jpg

Currently lights are working on 45% power, as I have some issue with algae.
    Last edited by pablos; 02-10-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

Great looking tank pablos! Lights show the discus nicely! Funny the lily leaf looks like a coral growing on the wood.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pablos View Post
    2 x Dymax spaceX freshwater.
    CBE0ED7F-D3FB-4EAD-A45F-10BA4A497BD3.jpg

Currently lights are working on 45% power, as I have some issue with algae.
    wow that looks a great tank - what kind of Discus have you in there? And is one the prized possesion?

Really like the lights - if you dont mind me asking how much are they?

Registered Member

Thanks. It was along journey to make this tank ready, but finally it’s almost there.

Light is very good from the quality point of view as well as light spectrum. Price is also reasonable - 140$ each. You can program switch on/off time as well as add night/blue.

I initially thought about Aqua Medic - Qube 30/50 but I found Dymex better, as you don’t need additional controller etc. Moreover qube 50 is very bulky comparing to Dymex.

One small issue with that light is that clock is not super accurate as it adds ~ a minute per week. But I don’t mind that light would switch on at 9:05am instead sharp 9.

Regarding fish itself I have 15 Stendker. Some bigger grown from 2” when I bought them to 4-4.5”, another batch is 3” only. I’m background 30 black neon tetra
    Last edited by pablos; 02-10-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul

$140 a piece is a good price.

Here in the UK they cost about £160 each.

With regards to the fish, has any of the Discus started to breed yet or are they still too young?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by forceyboy View Post
    $140 a piece is a good price.

Here in the UK they cost about £160 each.

With regards to the fish, has any of the Discus started to breed yet or are they still too young?
    You know ... we pay a lot for good quality discus, so why not to spend some $$ for a light which would greatly expose their colours?

They are still too young to be parents. In different tanks I have two breeding pairs and two batches of fry ~150 plus next on the way.

Registered Member

Hi All - first post on this board. Experienced fishkeeper returning to the hobby after a while so am at a loss as to the best lighting requirements for a lightly planted Discus tank. I these times of LED's and the like I am at an absolute loss as to what to purchase that will firstly do my Discus-Children justice and secondly, provide adequate lighting for the plants I currently have with them (swords, java fern and the like).

Price is no issue, obviously within reason. I just want a dual-band setup to simulate moonlight (I am assuming blue light for moonlight). With the sheer amount of contradictory text you find on the internet this is my last hope of finding some decent advice.

At present I have a 72 inch LED bar which is, as luck would have it, not the one I originally ordered (distribution center fail) which only has blue and white LED's. I read somewhere that green and reds are necessary to enhance colours (RGB setup) so will be returning this unit for as refund.

Question is what to get in return?

Some pics of my setup at present:

Discus 2.jpg

Discus 1.jpg

Any assistance appreciated

Kind regards

G

Registered Member

Settled on Current USA Serene Aquarium Visual and Audio Aquatic Experience Kit (72") with mounting brackets. Will see how it goes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12