AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Interesting link on Coral Toxins

Default Interesting link on Coral Toxins

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/beautiful-corals-in-home-aquariums-can-poison-you/ar-BBlJXZ7?ocid=spartandhp

Ardan

Be Careful!

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Interesting link on Coral Toxins

Yes Ardan! I always keep a box of gloves next to my reef and wear them as much as I can messing in my reef. Palytoxin is no joke and it can be deadly. Another note, be careful with kid's and pets! If the dog licks a bucket with tank water in it they can just as easily get it in their system. I've read multiple cases of pets being killed after licking buckets/equipment/rocks/etc during a WC. Boiling live rock can also be bad! Sure it kills pests but all of that moisture coming out of the pot just fills the room and your home with airborne toxins, not good.

There is a lot of nasty stuff floating around in the reef hobby that can do you harm, especially if it gets into a small cut on your finger. I've read countless posts on the reefboards where people spent the night or more in the ER dealing with swollen limbs, eyes, temporary blindness, respiratory issues, etc. Be careful and don't take chances!!

My hands are always washed after coming out of my reef tank, twice. Even after wearing gloves with rubber bands around my wrists.
    -Matt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff D'huyvetter

Default Re: Interesting link on Coral Toxins

There's a pic of me on Reef Central with my eye swollen shut. That was a fun week.