ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Jack's 140

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Jack's 140

jack, read my thread here, purigen has the same effect as carbon

now this is up for debate but I just thought I would offer a possible reason for the holes, and if it is then the metro wont do anything.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Use&highlight=
    ~JACKLYN~

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    jack, read my thread here, purigen has the same effect as carbon

now this is up for debate but I just thought I would offer a possible reason for the holes, and if it is then the metro wont do anything.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Use&highlight=
    purigen is now out. i never saw it do anything for Nitrates, it did polish water but that effect quickly diminished. plus it is annoying to clean, so i'm going to run without it for a while as i'm interested in less, not more maintenance. that am i'm experimenting with the AFS basket.

your post you mentioned holes come on fast, i noticed the same thing seemed almost overnight. but i have seen improvement with better husbandry and no more extra ferts.
    Last edited by Jack L; 01-29-2018 at 10:43 PM.

the HLLE continues to be a problem. i haven't found a definitive guide to cure it or its causes, seems metro is the most recommended med.

I've tried metro and kanaplex, added zoe vitamins and vita chem to food. doesn't seem to matter. not all of them have it, but some are getting bad now.

done different rounds and a break in between.

currently i'm feeding bh mixed with metro and cyaminic and liquid vitamin, zoe and vitachem. feeding it twice a day at dosage 2x the label.
    its been about 7 days and see nothing different.

since last post, my heater got stuck on and wiped out school of 50 neons, and about 20 cories. i've now bought one with an audible alarm.

2018-6-hlle.jpg

Real Name
    Tobi

I’ve had a similar situation with one of my heckels some time ago, almost as bad as yours. treated the whole tank with API general cure (metro) and started adding discus trace minerals to the water, upped the water changes, and added vitamins as you are doing to the food. Completely closed now, the fish looks like new. In my case I’m very certain the reason was mineral and vitamin deficiency due to a very one sided nutrition, FDBW all day every day.

Also on the matrix, I have pumice in all my filtration for all tanks and honestly have no issues with nitrates or anything else. In the end it’s just porous rubble, Seachem lay it on a bit thick with their claims in my opinion.

Either way, best of luck with this fella, once you notice some healing I’m sure there’s a good chance for recovery.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    I’ve had a similar situation with one of my heckels some time ago, almost as bad as yours. treated the whole tank with API general cure (metro) and started adding discus trace minerals to the water, upped the water changes, and added vitamins as you are doing to the food. Completely closed now, the fish looks like new. In my case I’m very certain the reason was mineral and vitamin deficiency due to a very one sided nutrition, FDBW all day every day.

Also on the matrix, I have pumice in all my filtration for all tanks and honestly have no issues with nitrates or anything else. In the end it’s just porous rubble, Seachem lay it on a bit thick with their claims in my opinion.

Either way, best of luck with this fella, once you notice some healing I’m sure there’s a good chance for recovery.
    Hi Swedgin, thanks for feedback.
    I took out the matrix as it was not living up to its claims in nitrate reduction, i got both sizes and had it in different flow rate zones, gave it over a year. lava rock would be the same i agree, just less marketing. it was also making a LOT of mulm, so i am just a relying on the poret foam now.

which now that i'm thinking of it, i could probably take that out too. i had nitrates with an empty sump, so there was enough BB without any extras in sump. just the prefilter on the pump, and a sock. And thinking back on it, when i first went to poret instead of socks(to minimize sump maintenance) someone on here warned me that i'd need to keep the foam cleaned or have Nitrate issues. maybe that is just what has happened. the foam has grown heavy with mulm.

sept 2018 update
    -HLLE seems to be on the mend. i tried various meds, and vitamins. but i think the thing that did it was ken's metro flake. i just mixed it with egg as a binder. i fed them a couple ounces of that, and following that 2 week feeding (give or take) it seemed to revers course. SLOWLY though.
    i've also increased the volume of WC.

plants: i've stopped all the ferts and additives. i just use tap water now. and due to more WC, its less and less RO in the mix. plants are doing great. i've just put in some Balansae, hoping they fill in the back. the sag and val never recovered moving.

one of the Discus, is slowly wasting away, hardly eats, always hides, maybe the courses of meds took a toll.
    in the photo, you can see the one with HLLE is doing better. that was the one in pic before. the little guy in the photo was and is a defect, but he is still going. has some holes. but even before that, you can almost see through it like a glass cat, but more translucent.
    hlle9-16-18.jpg

tank Sept 2018
    tank-09-16-18.jpg

Dec 2018

tank is about the same as far as plants

Discus: lost 2 of the 3 remaining blue diamonds.

while doing a WC, i was trying to change more water than i had aged and warmed up. i underestimated the affect of the cold water from winter weather. the temp dropped to the 70s for a few hours, and the next morning the blue diamonds that had a bit of cloudy eye went to pretty bad pop-eye.

in a warm qtank with meds, i was able to save 1. its eyes are normal sized, but show damage from the pop-eye, sort of a crackled look.

the aggression dynamics have change a lot in main tank without as many in there.
    bd-popeye-b4.jpgbd-eye.jpg

Sept 2019
    the remaining discus are doing fine. no more HLLE, though some spots that healed look like a hole.

it seems the biggest difference was removing the poret foam filters. they would become loaded with mulm, my nitrates were uncontrollable no matter the amount of WC. i removed 3rd panel, and nitrates dropped, then the 2 panel filled and nitrates climbed. i've left the first panel, i think is 10ppm. the shrimp seem to keep i clean. i'm now using disposable filter media instead of the 20 and 30 ppi panels. my nitrates are staying lower then they ever have been, and fish are doing better.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    Sept 2019
    the remaining discus are doing fine. no more HLLE, though some spots that healed look like a hole.

it seems the biggest difference was removing the poret foam filters. they would become loaded with mulm, my nitrates were uncontrollable no matter the amount of WC. i removed 3rd panel, and nitrates dropped, then the 2 panel filled and nitrates climbed. i've left the first panel, i think is 10ppm. the shrimp seem to keep i clean. i'm now using disposable filter media instead of the 20 and 30 ppi panels. my nitrates are staying lower then they ever have been, and fish are doing better.
    How often did you clean your Poret filters? I currently have 4 stages in my sump but no issues with nitrates. It's unfortunate what happened to your tank. I read page 1 to now and it was an interesting journey.

incredible how big your fish got in a planted tank and in just 5 months! kudos for a job well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    How often did you clean your Poret filters? I currently have 4 stages in my sump but no issues with nitrates. It's unfortunate what happened to your tank. I read page 1 to now and it was an interesting journey.

incredible how big your fish got in a planted tank and in just 5 months! kudos for a job well done.
    i cleaned them when they plugged enough to cause water flow issues, from memory every few months. i also didn't enjoy cleaning them. the smack on the driveway worked, but would get muck all over me. in a bucket and squeeze took a long time.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910