AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Discus not eating

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark A. Thomas

Default New Discus not eating

Just received some new discus yesterday two are around 4-5" the other six are about dime size
    As of right now I can't get any of them to eat. How long should I wait before worrying or any
    suggestions to get them to eat? The 4" ones I was given the flake food that they have been
    fed. The younger ones have been fed beef heart and I do have some of that but thus far they have
    turned up their little lips and said "NO THANKS" lol
    I am new to the discus, so use to my angels and guppies chowing down from the get go.

Default Re: New Discus not eating

Just give them more time, they will eat. they are Discus and that is what they do.
    I have 2 new once they are not eating for 3 days now.
    just give offering food and eventually, they will eat
    Nab

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark A. Thomas

Thanks just hard to get use to their ways. They are shy little fish
    My other young ones now come to the front of the tank when it is
    feeding time. LOL

Try to turn the light off when you are not feeding, that wold give them a little safety to go around the tank
    Nab

Registered Member

I find when you hit the WCing often within the first 2 weeks they usually settle down and start eating normally.
    How often do you WC?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark A. Thomas

Haven't did a water change on the bigger ones yet, did one on the smaller ones this morning

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

ive had some large discus refuse food for 2 weeks after shipment. keep offerring food and be sure to remove it if they dont eat it.

i offered mine frozen brine and blood and that got them interested when they were ignoring flake at the beginning

in fact the minute the brine shrimp started melting they came out of hiding and were clearly interested

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark A. Thomas

Thanks for the info they have finally come out of hiding lol They are a shy fish

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

Marka, congrats on becoming a Discus hobbiest!
    First things first, can you tell us a few things???
    *what is your Water Changing regiment?
    *what are you feeding them?
    *do you know any history of these new Discus?
    *how many fish in tank?
    *Size of tank and filter system?
    This will help more experienced members make suggestions.

Thanks,
    Time to move on.

Registered Member

Hello,

I recently purchased a breeding pair of Pigeon blood blue from a reputable vendor. The fish came very healthy and are about 6.5' in diameter. I had them in a fairly new bare bottom 20G tank with a sponge filter and they didn't eat for 4-5 days. I performed 20% water change daily. After testing water come to find out my ammonia level was as high as 4. I removed the fish from the 20G tank and put them in by 55G tank temporarily till i can get the ammonia levels down with other 8 3-4' discus. They seem pretty happy in this tank and move around a lot but still eating. I paid a lot for these fish and I don't want them to die. How can I make them eat. I have tried Flakes, frozen blood worms, food that came with the fish which is apparently the best food for discus (beef heart home made recipe) which other discus in my tank enjoy a lot. Any help will be appreciated.

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

Best to start another thread, however since you possibly made your fish toxic you have a little work todo.
    Start a thread with your same massage about and I can walk you thru detoxing your pair, getting them set again and on the road to happy breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpal View Post
    Hello,

I recently purchased a breeding pair of Pigeon blood blue from a reputable vendor. The fish came very healthy and are about 6.5' in diameter. I had them in a fairly new bare bottom 20G tank with a sponge filter and they didn't eat for 4-5 days. I performed 20% water change daily. After testing water come to find out my ammonia level was as high as 4. I removed the fish from the 20G tank and put them in by 55G tank temporarily till i can get the ammonia levels down with other 8 3-4' discus. They seem pretty happy in this tank and move around a lot but still eating. I paid a lot for these fish and I don't want them to die. How can I make them eat. I have tried Flakes, frozen blood worms, food that came with the fish which is apparently the best food for discus (beef heart home made recipe) which other discus in my tank enjoy a lot. Any help will be appreciated.
    Time to move on.