ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metro dose question

Default Re: Metro dose question

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Kris, if you look back a couple posts you will see I suggested a gram scale. This is the best way to measure it.
    Pat
    Dosing by weight is the most accurate way to treat. Dosing by volume isn't and may be extremely variable as loosely compacted compared to tightly compacted could probably change the dose up or down tremendously resulting in either under or over dosing. Gram scales are relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and a good investment.

True, but Metro is so safe. It's why people treat at double the label dose and the fish have no problems. Lots of meds are like that. You just need to know which ones. Panacure can be double dosed. Strogid can be over dosed. Metro can be over dosed. When it comes to most antibiotics and wormers you need to follow the label or you will suffer consequences.
    Mama Bear

Yes, it's true with Metro and many others but it's always better to know what you're dosing instead of just "hoping for the best". A scale is a basic investment like a heater or a test kit. If I want to double dose or bring a dose up, over dosing always implies a problem, i'd like to know that I'm doing this deliberately and hopefully not by accident if I can help it.

Dosing by volume can also yield wildly different doses on any given day during the course of a single treatment.

I can't deny that you're right. It's just that sometimes, especially when you're treating multiple tanks. spoonfuls is easier and faster. The OP was talking about metro, remember.

I wormed with levamasol yesterday. I always treat all my tanks because I move fish around and all tanks use the same nets and WC equipment. I used the scale. It was time consuming and a PITA but with levamasol there isn't a big margin for error.
    Mama Bear

I use a simple DigiWeigh scale which barely requires much more time than weighing by measure. Scale on, "Tare", weigh.

Yes slightly more effort, but knowing is always better than guessing.

Liz...thanks to you, and all of the others for the helpful tips and advice. I'll be shopping with Jhemco for my next medication need. .....😀

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by krislewis3 View Post
    Liz...thanks to you, and all of the others for the helpful tips and advice. I'll be shopping with Jhemco for my next medication need. .....��
    Yeah, I have never had one problem with Jhemco. Just remember, the first order I believe you have to sign and send back a form.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Yeah, I did that the first time I ordered meds from them. It's not a big deal. If I remember correctly they mostly want you to tell them that you are using the meds you buy from them for ornamental fish only.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Yeah, I did that the first time I ordered meds from them. It's not a big deal. If I remember correctly they mostly want you to tell them that you are using the meds you buy from them for ornamental fish only.
    yup

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Will do....

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    A lot of the preppers, survivalists, get their meds. from fish and animal sellers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12