ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Brand of lights

Real Name
    Austin

Default Best Brand of lights

Whats the best brand lighting and light for a 6 foot anubias planted tank? I like the look of day light lights and a night time light, theres 3 spots in my hood, and no cooling for them, fans ect. There is holes for venterlation.
    Thanks
    you can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.

Default Re: Best Brand of lights

i landed on current usa, they don't have a 6' but you can get multiple smaller.

http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-...llite-led-pro/

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Julia

I originally bought a current light for my 90 gallon and had many issues with it. Purchased another type of current, still issues, on/off switches, remote did not work consistently. I finally bought a Fluval that can be used for reef or freshwater with numerous settings, daylight, night, cloudy, etc. with remote. Absolutely no issues with it. Purchased at Petco for around $120, and love the ability to set the type of light as needed. I have used many types of lighting throughout the years on many tanks, and would recommend this one without reservations. Julia

the current i got the remote has a very limited range, a few feet really. it worked to program it much better than the control pad built into the cord, but i had to be right on it.

it has all those settings, but to me they are a waste. i'd prefer less lighting modes and more lumens. but as fast as LED is changing, this thing will be obsolete soon anyway

Registered Member

Look at build my led. Definitely worth the price. I got the fish focus red but they were at NADA and all their set ups looked nice

Real Name
    Austin

Having a look at buikd my led, any probloms with them?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. J View Post
    I originally bought a current light for my 90 gallon and had many issues with it. Purchased another type of current, still issues, on/off switches, remote did not work consistently. I finally bought a Fluval that can be used for reef or freshwater with numerous settings, daylight, night, cloudy, etc. with remote. Absolutely no issues with it. Purchased at Petco for around $120, and love the ability to set the type of light as needed. I have used many types of lighting throughout the years on many tanks, and would recommend this one without reservations. Julia
    and yet it looks to be made by Current.............

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Julia

Possibly, but I do know that this has much better lighting, has been trouble free. Different control set up than the current, so may be the answer. Still stand by my recommendation. If you look at the review data you will see that current seems to have problems with their transformers, connectors, etc. This is not an issue with the Fluval....simpler set up. For those of us who don't have tons of money to spend...I am on a fixed income...this have proven to be the best purchase for the money. I use Fluval/Eheim products primarily and have for years even when I raised discus in the 70's and other tropicals to trade at my LFS and had few problems with them. So go with the devil I know...Lol Julia

Registered Member

I have a build my LED fish focus red XB on my 90. I have had it for almost 8 months and have not had any problems with it. The only thing you may not like is there is no moon lighting. If you get the dimmer its a great little feature to have. A little pricey though.

Registered Member

Julia,
    I completely understand I have just bought 2 of the Currents 48" for 90.00ea. I'm hoping I get 14+ months like all the dissatisfied posters who left it 1 star on Dr. Foster-smith site. I have not played with anything just hooked it up to my timer and let it go. I have bought many LED bulbs for my house I never even got 1yr from them no matter which price point I bought from. I'm thinking that in the rush to build all these LED units something is not right, I have a LFS who was buying the more expensive parts to build DIY units. He stated that whether he bought the more expensive parts or the cheaper parts they all last within 3-4 months of each other and his supplier has stated the manufacture in China will no longer accept defective returns so he has stopped buying all together. He has went back to T5 florescent fixtures for his shop.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Julia

Yes, I agree that LED bulbs have not lived up to the expectation thus far....I don't use them in my house because of the cost, still with those swirly florescents that are encased...not cheap either. So far no problems with the Fluval, but then again I have only had it for six months or so, used a small Fluval on my 60 tall and it is still ok so guess time will tell. I know our one independent LFS here has quit selling current because of the returns. Now only carrying Aquaeon which don't put out ANY light at all. Whatever happened to quality for a fair price? Thank goodness for those on the forum who still believe in both. Julia

Real Name
    Austin

No night light is no problem. whats the lifetime on them

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

The best light for discus tanks: Build My LED... Have the Red Focus 5000K, 72"L on my 125G tank and just love it. Received it on Nov. 19, 2014. Recommend the dimmer for the light too.

Registered Member

I used the Finnex planted 24/7 and really like it. The 24/7 mode replicates a day and night.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by a.person61 View Post
    No night light is no problem. whats the lifetime on them
    I think the lifespan is over 40,000 hours

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast