AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VideosAsian Strains & My Statement About How I'm Attempting to Mix Asians & Stendkers

Default VideosAsian Strains & My Statement About How I'm Attempting to Mix Asians & Stendkers

I presently have 6 Asian strains in a 55 gallon tank. I will be buying five Stendkers for another 55 from my fish wholesaler. This is where the experiment comes in... What I intend to do is before the first 80% water change per tank, I'm going to introduce one gallon of water from each system to the other system. Then I will closely observe fish until next water change. In this hopeful experiment the water changes will be every three days in order to allow some fishy change to the water. On the next 80% water change, I will introduce two gallons and keep this up until I can mix them.

Registered Member

Default Re: VideosAsian Strains & My Statement About How I'm Attempting to Mix Asians & Stend

Wow hannapro is on Simply cool, I always liked your videos, the intros are funny always make me laugh, good job, and good luck mix the discus....
    Alfredo Justiz

THE KEY TO SUCCESSFUL FISH KEEPING IS TO NEVER STOP LEARNING..
    THE KEY TO FAILURE IS TO THINK YOU KNOW IT ALL...

Default Re: VideosAsian Strains & My Statement About How I'm Attempting to Mix Asians & Stend

Not sure why you are going to all this trouble. I've mixed Germans and Asians quite often in my fish room. Never had an issue.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

I've had a number of aquarists mention that Stendkers cary immunities that asians can acquire and vice versa. So, you've never had a problem mixing them?
    William T Hannaford

Thank you Alfredo... Hey, how about being on a podcast with me in September?
    William T Hannaford

Larry... Would you honor me by doing a podcast with me on my network talking about that very thing ...Mixing?
    William T Hannaford

Quote Originally Posted by hannapro View Post
    I've had a number of aquarists mention that Stendkers cary immunities that asians can acquire and vice versa. So, you've never had a problem mixing them?
    No, I've never had an issue.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by hannapro View Post
    Larry... Would you honor me by doing a podcast with me on my network talking about that very thing ...Mixing?
    Sorry, I have to pass on the offer.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

I have. Stendkers dead. Asians alive.

Registered Member

I'm with Larry on this. I've mixed before with no deaths. But I do believe in quarantine but I don't think adding a gallon of water slowly is necessary

Quote Originally Posted by sdrexler078 View Post
    I'm with Larry on this. I've mixed before with no deaths. But I do believe in quarantine but I don't think adding a gallon of water slowly is necessary
    Absolutely, quarantine is always the way to go. Should clarify, I didn't mean to suggest mixing before quarantine. When I mix it is with fish that have been in my fish room for a while.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

Hans was right. He recommended against it. I did it any way. Quarantined, the whole bit. Still failed. Spent a fortune on meds. As soon as I thought they were fine, reintroduced them. Didn't last long. I suck. Heart ache...

Mixed German/Asian discus few times, proper quarantine is what needed and of-course patience.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

Patience is indeed a virtue in the world of Discus.

Real Name
    Tony

Agree with the above, It can be done. QT and patience is the key. IMO, QT is a must for even when you get from same seller who gets from different sources.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast