AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lump on body

Real Name
    Ramon

Default lump on body

I need help guys�� one of my PB developed a lump on the left side of its body near its head. Can you please identify and the best remedy or cure for it. There's 13 discus in the tank and it's the only one who has it. WC 80% daily. All water parameters are okay.
    inputs will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks and God bless,
    Ramon

Last edited by monching; 08-24-2015 at 07:44 PM.
    When God leads you to the edge of a cliff....Trust him fully and let go....
    Only two things can happen....
    Either, " He will catch you when you fall...or He will teach you how to fly....."

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

Default Re: lump on body

I have never seen this before on any of my guys, interested to see what others say, was the Discus in a spar with another Discus and smashed into something?
    Is the bump growing???
    It doesn't really look like a wound from a scrape or poke.
    I would be inclined to poke at it... But I think I would ask here first...lol

Real Name
    Phil

I was going to say that looks more like a gash than a bump... Any tank decorations ? Drift wood or something else with a jagged edge? I had one of mine a while back really gash up on something and I qt in a hospital tank with a mix of furan 2 and sea salt and he was good in a week healed nicely. Does this one seem to be eating and acting fine? If so. Prob a flesh wound.

Real Name
    Ramon

The only thing inside the tank are the 2 exhaust or out take(whichever you want to call it) of the filters. Even my heater is an inline one that's outside the tank. I'm not sure if he had a fight with the others but it sure is getting big. I noticed it about 3 days ago as a small white spot which I thought is a scale (not even sure if discus has scales) but it is growing. The lump is getting bigger.
    Either, " He will catch you when you fall...or He will teach you how to fly....."

Real Name
    Jacklyn

did this start as just a pimple? if so sometimes the pimples can fall off and the hole they leave behind can become infected. it looks bacterial can you net it and put some antibiotic cream on it, like Neosporin??
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Ramon

I tried epsom salt after a water change last night and it looks like it's peeling off this morning, will net it and put medicine on it this afternoon as soon as I arrived home. Thanks Jacklyn.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Here is how to treat with iodine http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ne-H2O2-etc%29 which is what I would do.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Rick

I know you were doing your best to get a good picture, but can you ease up on the zoom and try another pic? The very first picture it appears to be something growing from the inside out (tumor). Can't say for sure though.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Ramon

Thanks for the input Pat. Will line it up as one of the remedy/solution. I believed I've done this before on one of my goldfish. Tincture of iodine we call it.�� much appreciated.

Real Name
    Ramon

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I know you were doing your best to get a good picture, but can you ease up on the zoom and try another pic? The very first picture it appears to be something growing from the inside out (tumor). Can't say for sure though.
    Didn't do any zooming in Ric, just trying to take it as close as possible. It's a little bit hard to do it on a moving subject. Will try it again as soon as arrive home. Thanks a lot.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    did this start as just a pimple? if so sometimes the pimples can fall off and the hole they leave behind can become infected. it looks bacterial can you net it and put some antibiotic cream on it, like Neosporin??
    If you need to use neosporin make sure it is the Vaseline based not cream based, it will stay in the water much better plus works better if you dry the area before application

Real Name
    Ramon

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    If you need to use neosporin make sure it is the Vaseline based not cream based, it will stay in the water much better plus works better if you dry the area before application
    Thanks for the input Ivan, much appreciated. Can I use polisporin too?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by monching View Post
    Thanks for the input Ivan, much appreciated. Can I use polisporin too?
    as long as its an ointment, I see no reason not to. It does only has two of the ingredients of Neosporin though. Neomycin sulfate has been used in aquariums for many years with good results if it was me and it came to this I'd want it all in there.

Real Name
    Ramon

update guys, i just came home from work and find the lump almost doubled it's size and the fish in question is only using it's left fin sparingly, it is often just in it's side maybe the poor guy is in pain. Just did a 100% WC and will net the fish after and apply polysporin on the affected area. will wipe it dry first to see what it is. hoping for the best.

Real Name
    Ramon

Update again, Just net the said fish and wipe the affected area with cotton bud, seen nothing but a wound that I believed got infected. Applied polysporin ointment in the affected area and put the guy back in the tank. closely monitoring from hereon in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast