ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discus using one gill? Real solution?

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

Default Discus using one gill? Real solution?

Hi everyone,
    I have been on the forum for a few months now, and I see a trend here.
    I have been struggling with a hand full of my discus using one gill, (and I know others have this as well).
    Now it seems to be spreading to other tanks, I'm sure it's some type of cross contamination.
    I have searched up remedies for anchor worms, gill flukes, Copepods, etc.
    there is NO real solution anyone has put out there.
    I have been researching for weeks now and nothing, no real solution.
    I have said this before, I have gone to many hobby discus breeding rooms and seen many many discus using one gill.
    Now, don't tell me to change more water, I highly doubt there is anyone that keeps cleaner tanks then me (maybe equal), I change most days now 100% water daily and some times more, all tanks wiped down (daily).
    I started using potassium permanganate, even on some of my discus daily to see if any improvements, they seem to use the other gill for a day or so then back to closed gill on side.
    Again, WE NEED A REAL SOLUTION HERE EVERYONE.
    I know most parasites are resistant to praziquantel so this is not a solution at all.
    We need a regiment from a real expert.
    I know some Thailand hatcheries there water is always pink, are they just growing discus in PP for a reason?
    I know many would like to not admit this, but, this is a problem in the hobby, let's address this and get rid of this problem once and for all!
    I searches up thermal death temperature for flukes and anchor worms, nothing!!!?.. Am I assuming this correctly, that in the entire world of the Internet no one really knows the temperate that a fluke parasite dies at?..... This is rediculous.
    Any real pro's please stand up and don't speak in riddles, make it clear how to eradicate this problem, because many many discus keepers have it whether they know it or not.
    So many need to know, this would make the hobby much more easy for so many.
    Let's fix the world, one fluke at a time!
    Time to move on.

Default Re: Discus using one gill? Real solution?

Salt 1 tablespoons per 5 gallons for a few days :-)

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Salt 1 tablespoons per 5 gallons for a few days :-)
    I wish it was that easy...lol
    Time to move on.

Have you tried it, can't hurt my friend had same problem last week and it worked

Real Name
    Mervin

If you come up with a solution to fix/eraticate gill flukes from a wide spread population,maybe you will also solve the bed bug issues that humans have.
    What makes you think that prazi will not kill gill flukes?Did you try it?It worked for me.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Might be best to enumerate a list as to why a discus might only use one gill.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

Although salt will help Gill performance this doesn't erraticate any flukes.
    again hobbiest like ourselves need a real solution. Saying "don't get it in the first place", is the equivalent to believing " I don't need auto insurance because I will never get into an accident ".
    I see a trend here and many many issue arrise in the hobby over these parasites. There needs to be a real solution.
    I did read you posted something about flukes and no one could provide a solution either for you, (I share your pain and frustrations).

This is the white elephant in the room no one is addressing, and maybe for good reason.
    Is there really nothing that can be done?
    Are Gill and body flukes the herpes of the Discus???
    Someone must know?

So you know for sure you got flukes, or are you guessing, like the water problem you fought against it, I think that your thinking is too complex.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MadMatt View Post
    Although salt will help Gill performance this doesn't erraticate any flukes.
    Salt does not help gill performance, this is a myth. Salt will however "calm" the fish, which will then in turn have it breathing more slowly. This is the rough equivalent of handing someone that is hyperventilating a paper bag.

However, if your fish is struggling to breath due to gill damage, salt will only make the problem worse at it lowers the 02 concentration in the water. The only substance that actually is known to improve gill performance is Meth blue.

again hobbiest like ourselves need a real ......yada yada yada.......
    Are you saying all of us have this problem? I for one don't. STOP buying fish from Local fish stores and I bet your problem improves drastically.

I see a trend here and many many issue arrise in the hobby over these parasites. There needs to be a real solution.
    Before a REAL solution is obtained, we need to be sure we know what the REAL problem is. Do you have a scope?

I did read you posted something about flukes and no one could provide a solution either for you, (I share your pain and frustrations).

This is the white elephant in the room no one is addressing, and maybe for good reason.
    Is there really nothing that can be done?
    Are Gill and body flukes the herpes of the Discus???
    Someone must know?
    Flukes are the most often misdiagnosed parasite on this forum. As soon as someone sees a fish flash, or it breathing out of one gill, everyone automatically thinks.....FLUKES!

Eliminating flukes isn't imposable, but the thing is, if you buy from trusted sources and do a proper QT, you will never have to deal with them in the first place.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

Here we go again!
    "Riddles, buy fish from reliable sources and don't get it in the first place."
    Exhausting.
    Why can't we communicate direct with one another???
    Like this:
    If you have one gill closed it could be:
    Issue 1.
    Issue 2.
    Issue 3.
    Issue 4.
    Etc.
    Etc.
    This is how u solve issue:
    Solution 1.
    Solution 2.
    Solution 3.
    Solution 4.
    Solution etc. Etc.

This is how progress is made.
    However,I don't have a scope, even if I did I wouldn't be able to properly identify the entity. My city has no trained vets in aquaitc.

You know u get to a point where so much challenge is incurred with no end in sight and the reward is not out weighing the challenge.
    Might be time to pick another endeavour.

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

Yep!
    It's time.
    Thanks guys, I'm sure your all are good people, I never met someone that wasn't into fish I didn't like.
    But its time for something else.

God speed to everyone and best of luck with everyone life.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Matt, why would we recommend for our members to buy discus from a source we can't trust?? and then buy the meds to try and get the fish healthy. . Al spends a large amount of time vetting discus vendors to ensure the vendor is a good fit for becoming a sponsor on SimplyDiscus and sells quality healthy fish. So yes, I will preach until I am blue in the face to buy your discus from a reliable source. There is not riddle about it...buy your discus from a trusted source and enjoy the fish...KISS.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Good Luck Matt I feel you , I was there not too long ago but I am persistent person, best of Luck to you.
    AL

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Flukes are the most often misdiagnosed parasite on this forum. As soon as someone sees a fish flash, or it breathing out of one gill, everyone automatically thinks.....FLUKES!
    OMG!!! 2 or 3 times days.. everyday.. it happens.. LOL and i have yet to see FLUKES as the reason for fish problems
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

Again, alot of typing and not one solution offered besides Al.
    If Gill flukes "is not that hard to get rid of" or "isnt usually an issue", why hasn't someone offered the correct process?
    I've done a search and gone threw many threads and nothing.
    Anyone?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast