ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Wave maker

Default Wave maker

Just recieved a small programmable wave maker, will fit this tonight hope it works, as my old was too powerfull ended up blowiing the fish all over

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Wave maker

Why do you need a wave maker?

I need some water circulation in my tank

Real Name
    Ralph

It's not required for a Discus tank. Although it's suitable for freshwater, Discus in general are found in areas with little to no current and whatever filtration you have set-up currently is all you need to break the water surface.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    It's not required for a Discus tank. Although it's suitable for freshwater, Discus in general are found in areas with little to no current and whatever filtration you have set-up currently is all you need to break the water surface.

...Ralph
    I have decided it is necessary due to the sump design in my tank, and to offer extra surface agitation, being programmable I can choose how fast the fan speed is set, it works well for me.

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan View Post
    it works well for me.
    In the end my friend that is what really matters

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    In the end my friend that is what really matters

...Ralph
    Correct

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Aaron Steele

Interested on how this works out in the long run. I love Jebao's DC water pumps. Currently have 2 of their DCT12000. Was looking at these wavemakers for my planted 240 gallon I'm planning in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by asteele.19 View Post
    Interested on how this works out in the long run. I love Jebao's DC water pumps. Currently have 2 of their DCT12000. Was looking at these wavemakers for my planted 240 gallon I'm planning in my head.
    Works really well plus its adjustable to control the flow rate I would recommend one if thats what you need for your tank

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan View Post
    Works really well plus its adjustable to control the flow rate I would recommend one if thats what you need for your tank

Seems like a necro but was wondering how is your placement?

i am in the planning stages of my 5 footer tank , using a external overflow at one end and the inflow will be near the surface to provide some agitation at the other end.
    After some thinking i was wondering whether i need some "wave maker" below the inflow to move the water in the mid or bottom "abit" where i stumbled to this thread.

Thanks in Advance.

Real Name
    Ricardo

That's a pretty small wavemaker that is adjustable, shouldn't be too much problem. Just make it so that it points up towards the surface for agitation, but still leaves a few areas in the tank where the current isn't fast and they can rest.

I have a DC12000 that I am yet to use, but know how well regarded they are. Love DC pumps over their predecessors.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

image1 (13).JPG

Thanks alot for the reply , Rick

Would you mind helping me take a look on the placement ?

The outflow will be carried out on that Overflow Box which can handle 5000l/h into a 3 feet x 1 feet x 1.3 feet DIY sump with a EHEIM 1262 (3400l/h) pumping back .
    So where should be the inflow be located (1,2,3) and the wave maker be at (4,5) ?

*probably i won't place at the center so to create a calm belt, more of the option on left and right.

Thanks alot.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I would put the wave maker and output on the opposite side of the overflow. You want the water to flow through the tank and not get lost in the tank which is what may happen if you put it along the same wall as the overflow

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Willie

I find large discus do better in a 75/90 gal tank when there's strong current. I often add a powerhead, by itself or on top of a double stack sponge filter, to these tanks. While beginner books say that most of oxygen diffusion occurs at the surface, I question this statement. Discus in the powerhead tank clearly swim more and eat more vigorously. A friend who only keeps large Africans notice the same in his tank.

We keep large fish in a relatively small tank and extra water movement is usually appreciated.