ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Solar Powered Plant Tank Build

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff D'huyvetter

Default Re: Solar Powered Plant Tank Build

When trying to zoom in to take a pic of a different fish, one of the RSG's swam right in front of the camera. I thought it was a cool shot.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff D'huyvetter

Hard to believe it's been a year. Took a few pics last night and just now. The dark, crappy pics are last night after the sun set. Only the LED supplements were on. Out of the batch of original discus, I have 3 confirmed pairs (confirmed as in eggs have hatched.......)

Interesting notes after I moved the fish into the 300. A couple stopped growing completely. Three really slowed down the growth rate and have since stopped growing. The runt of the batch went through a huge growth spurt. Five kept growing and got nice and huge. The heckles barely grew. The balance, are average (as far as growth)

On to the pics....
    This is the last fish I added. He was a trade in/rescue from an LFS. A little stunted when I got him. Growing well now and has "rounded out" some over the past month. I doubt he will get huge, but love the color. Spots are on the glass, not the fish

The runt

Still my favorite. One half of one of the three confirmed pairs. No babies yet.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff D'huyvetter

Of the three pairs, this was the third that I know laid eggs. Still not 100% sure where they are laying eggs. Did not even know they had eggs the first time until I saw free swimming fry. They are spawning on the backside of on of three pieces of driftwood that are tangled up at the back of the tank. There is an open spot underneath and that is where I see them with the babies. First batch, got them to just under a quarter inch and then overnight...gone. Second batch, got about 30 to just over a quarter inch and about 8-10 to a half inch. Same thing, overnight....gone. Third batch.....got 5 to dime size. Seem to be over the hump with these 5. When I fed them last night, the parents came out with the babies. Babies roamed around a little bit and everyone left them alone.

Dad (I think, based on behavior)

Mom

Real Name
    Filip

Nice looking discus Jeff . And congrats on the free swimers in your community tank . You must have a very soft and perfect water for discus spawn to hatch in your main tank ?
    Do you use RO water?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff D'huyvetter

Yes. I do about 60 gallons a week. RODI with about 2 tblsp of Equilibrium.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff D'huyvetter

Did not plan on getting back into breeding....but willing to do some grow out if I can catch them. The five big ones (quarter size) are from the Alenquer x F2 RSG cross. The little ones (12, under dime size) are from the Alenquer x Rio Purus cross.

A fourth confirmed pair has formed up now. An F2 RSG female and one of the Tefe Greens. Both are awesome fish. I'm soooooo tempted to pull this pair for breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhuyvetter View Post

A fourth confirmed pair has formed up now. An F2 RSG female and one of the Tefe Greens. Both are awesome fish. I'm soooooo tempted to pull this pair for breeding.
    DO IT! Love seeing updates on this thread Jeff. Reminds me how mine was several years ago with spawns that made it, baby tetras here and there, ... overall loads of entertainment. Trying to get back to that but withought as many plants as I once had.
    -Elliot

just found this thread, pretty neat progression!

Real Name
    Jörgen

I just love those solar tubes! Never seen them before but found out they actually sell them here too. The problem is that we're having four hours between sunrise and sunset this time of year, so probably a bad investment. Love the idea of having actual sunlight in your livingroom though ..

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff D'huyvetter

Well, the Alenquer x Rio Purus pair figured it out. I have a dozen babies in the grow out tank and they immediately spawned again. Raised about 40 up to nickel size in the main tank. Also have confirmed spawns (confirmed as in I have babies in the tank or in the sump) from the Lemon Tetras, Serpae tetras, Gold tetras and Apistogrammas. Snapped a couple quick pics before cleaning the glass and doing a water change

Left side of the tank

Right side of the tank

Real Name
    Filip

Great News Jeff . It seems like your whole display tank discus batch had paired .
    I would just advise you to leave the growout tank BB instead if a sandy bottom.You will have much better results raising those Young's in a BB tank .
    Leave a couple of potted plants in the back for your pleasure if you must .

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456