AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tank Height Question

Registered Member

Default Tank Height Question

I'm working on converting my 300 gallon reef into a vivarium/paladuriam for dart frogs and have a pond section for fish. While looking into which fish I could possibly have, I ran into discus. I haven't ever had discus before but I think I'll be able to learn about them and provide about them as I was able to pull off a pretty good reef.

That said, before I can even know for sure if I'll get discus, I need to know if I'll be able to make a large enough area for them. I was thinking 24"x24" length and width, but I'm at a lost for height. How tall of tanks do discus need? My LFS guy told me I would be good at 10" tall. But I went to another fish store and saw how big discus can get. 10 inches didn't seem so large after that...

Anyone have any input in how tall I'll need to make the "pond" section? If its too tall to work with my setup, I'll have to find a different fish. I think discus would be awesome though, especially if I get the chance to try to breed them (I bred clownfish for a bit and that was a lot of work, but seeing how the discus fry eat the slime off their parents, it might be a good amount easier than clownfish! lol).

Thanks

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: Tank Height Question

Hello nrbelk and welcome to Simply Discus.
    Keeping Discus requires a lot of research and would suggest you read through the many threads starting with the beginners section. Not necessarily easier or harder then reef keeping but very different requirements.
    Discus tank height requirements on average is 18" and up with the preference being close to 24" tall.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden