ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Year Fish-anniversary!!

Registered Member fishtanktenderfoot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steph

Red face One Year Fish-anniversary!!

One year ago today, my fish arrived on my doorstep, and my foray into discus keeping began. Wow, what a year! I wanted to share my before and after pictures. All pics on the left are from a few days after their arrival on September 3, 2014. The pics on the right are from this week. I tried to make the side-by-side comparison easy, but the lighting is really different, so I'm not sure how well they will come across, but here they are anyway... Hope you enjoy!

First, the tank shots. Over the year, I changed the décor, added some filtration, changed the lighting, added a temp controller, changed the way I do my water changes, etc. I also messed with cardinals, rams and plants - none of which were very successful... It took me probably 6 months to feel like I had a good "stable" maintenance routine that worked. I still do a 50% WC daily. I talked a while ago about backing off, but I never have. I guess I just like it too much!

Also, before I start going crazy with the pics, I really do need to thank this forum!! I relied very heavily on this resource and all your combined expertise... It amazes me the time and consideration offered here, so thanks to each and every one of you!

OneYearTankPicture1.jpg

Steph

Real Name
    Steph

Default Re: One Year Fish-iversary!!

Now for the fishies. These first two were 4" when they arrived. They were the smallest, although they caught up pretty fast with the rest. The blue (reflection D cross) is female and was the last to start laying eggs. The yellow is weird and tries to fertilize the FDBW when I stick them on the side of the aquarium.

Picture1.jpg

Registered Member

Great looking fish! I really like seeing what a full year of good growth looks like. Great job!

Real Name
    Steph

These guys were purchased as 4.5". Funny they grew at different rates.

The golden carnation turk is female, but she's somewhat of a nervous Nellie. She hates it when I wipe down the front of the tank (she'll go hide) when no one else cares.

The super rose red paired up almost immediately with the biggest female (she's last in all the pics posted), and he was MEAN. A real terror, going out of his way to war with anyone and everyone he could see. In fact, I made him my hero fish when I needed one, just to give the main tank a break. He naturally calmed down after 3-4 months, but since he never ate all that time (too busy wooing his girlfriend and chasing off bad guys), he's probably my smallest fish today. And, although he is a DEDICATED egg fanner, he has never once tried to fertilize - he just watches her lay eggs and then moves in to start fanning them. Not my brightest fish.

Picture3.jpg
    Last edited by fishtanktenderfoot; 09-03-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Real Name
    Steph

Rats, I don't know how I added the duplicate picture in post #4? If someone can tell me how to edit it, I will fix it.
    Last edited by fishtanktenderfoot; 09-03-2015 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Never mind - I figured it out!

Real Name
    Steph

Ok, these guys were also 4.5" at purchase, and they are by far the biggest pigs. The Red Eagle is the smartest fish in the tank. He figures things out the fastest (how food moves in the current, that I have food in my hand), and he even eats out of a tablespoon I use for pellets. He's fearless, too.

The red melon is the most docile. Even though he's one of the biggest fish, he let's everyone push him around (except when there's food involved.)

Picture5.jpg
    Last edited by fishtanktenderfoot; 09-03-2015 at 04:08 PM.

Real Name
    Steph

And last but not least... this is "Big Baby", named because I bought her at 5", so she was the biggest, but also the biggest pansy. I know, not nice, but when she arrived, she drifted to the bottom of the tank and laid there like she was dead for a couple of hours. Seriously scared me to death - I posted a panicky plea for help - and then she recovered like nothing happened. She paired up immediately and started laying eggs within 9 or 10 days. She pretty much ruled the roost for the first few months until the other females started to stand up to her. Now she fights non-stop with the golden carnation. I call them "catfish" fights.

OneYearBaby.jpg

Real Name
    Steph

Quote Originally Posted by Braydon00 View Post
    Great looking fish! I really like seeing what a full year of good growth looks like. Great job!
    Thank you! I was new to discus (new to fish keeping of any kind really) so I was careful to buy as close to adult as I could manage, so I can't take a lot of credit. They were mostly grown already, all I had to do was make sure they stayed healthy. But even with that said, they HAVE grown and changed (and gotten much fatter) in the last year, so thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by fishtanktenderfoot View Post
    I can't take a lot of credit.
    Well, I think you do deserve credit. You obviously researched and read up before committing yourself, and now you have experienced great success. So many of us begin by making all kinds of mistakes. You were smart! -Don

Real Name
    Ricardo

Great looking group and thanks for sharing with us your nice journey! They look amazing. It is amazing how much the Red Eagle changed in one year. I really like the carnation Turk, the black on the fins is something I actually like on it. Again, thanks for sharing.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: One Year Fish-anniversary!!

Hi Steph, very nice progression pictures. You have done well and the fish look great. Here's to a successfully second year.
    Well done,
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Really fun to see the before and after's and how much they have changed! They look great!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

Quote Originally Posted by fishtanktenderfoot View Post
    These guys were purchased as 4.5". Funny they grew at different rates.

The golden carnation turk is female, but she's somewhat of a nervous Nellie. She hates it when I wipe down the front of the tank (she'll go hide) when no one else cares.

The super rose red paired up almost immediately with the biggest female (she's last in all the pics posted), and he was MEAN. A real terror, going out of his way to war with anyone and everyone he could see. In fact, I made him my hero fish when I needed one, just to give the main tank a break. He naturally calmed down after 3-4 months, but since he never ate all that time (too busy wooing his girlfriend and chasing off bad guys), he's probably my smallest fish today. And, although he is a DEDICATED egg fanner, he has never once tried to fertilize - he just watches her lay eggs and then moves in to start fanning them. Not my brightest fish.

Picture3.jpg
    What are the 2 top discus? - Lighthouse

Real Name
    Jason

They look great! I hope my first year will be as successful as yours.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frankie

great progress! but on a side note, it would appear the fish were affected hormones and thus were showing more vibrant colors when young. I was told this is a common practice in Asia. I have no personal opinion toward this practice tho.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast