AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New house discus fishroom!

Real Name
    Vansu

Talking New house discus fishroom!

Hello Everyone,

I am moving to a new house in 2 weeks and looking to start up the fish room again. I am very happy to be back on Simply Discus after over a year. I am looking to show off some the beautiful discus fish I am bringing in from my motherland of Vietnam. Fish room design as below. This fish room will house mainly discus, arowana and altum angel F1. Hoping for feedback and advice from knowledgeable members.

Thank you.
    Vansu Nguyen
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vandiscus; 09-17-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: New house discus fishroom!

Is your goal to simply display your fish in the fishroom, then this is a sweet setup. Possibly my only piece of advice I have to give is to place some kind of swing door where your sink is so that you get a sense of a finished wall through out.

If your goal is to breed, which I do not believe to be the case, you would need a lot more tanks for your fish room.

Either way, this will be a nice looking fish room. Roughly what are the dims and volume of each tank?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Vansu

Hi Rick,

I am planning to breed later but not now. I want the room to look nice for visitors to come and choose their their livestock and act as a display for myself to enjoy also. Each section of the aquarium represent a 220 gallon(6'x2'x2.5) tank custom made that I order oversea which will come late in October. I will also have smaller tanks to house some breeding pairs, hospital, and quarantine tanks. I will have some tank with arowanas and altum angel F1 that I am getting from Vietnam. This will be located in my two car garage so I am putting a wall across the garage doors and completely insulated. I am moving in 2 weeks and start building it. That's a good idea about enclosing the sink Rick .

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Whats your plan for humidity? Dehumidifiers work but also produce a lot of heat.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Vansu

Hi John,

I have 2 dehumidifiers in hand and I am thinking of tapping into the new house heating system. The new house also come with HRS (Heat recovery system ) or heat exchanger that I can connect to that can get rid of the humidity but maintain the heat. All the tank will be cover to minimize humidity. Thanks
    Vansu

Looks great. I assume you'll have lots of plumbing, water storage and aging barrels, nets, hoses, misc., where will all that be? Right now the drawing looks remarkably clean and uncluttered, so I'm guessing you'll have access to the tanks from behind, maybe? Is that a tile floor? Hopefully it won't get slippery if water spills. Just some thoughts. I look forward to seeing the progression of this room! Thanks. -Don

Real Name
    Vansu

Hi Don. Yes everything you've mentioned will be in the back room. I haven't decided on the finished flooring yet but as of now it will be tile. Thanks Don. Vansu
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.vandiscus.ca
    For the sake of discus!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by vandiscus View Post
    Hi Don. Yes everything you've mentioned will be in the back room. I haven't decided on the finished flooring yet but as of now it will be tile. Thanks Don. Vansu
    Tile is better than wood because you will spill water on the floor and that isn't good for wood. Obviously you want to avoid rug, so I think the best option is indeed tile.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff D'huyvetter

Ditto what rickztahone said. I put a beautiful walnut hardwood floor down in an extra bedroom. A year later, had the bright idea to turn it into a fish room. Three years later, everything is out of the room and I am getting ready to rip up a very warped floor.

Go with Tile or bare concrete.

Real Name
    Vansu

The same reason I am picking the tile floor because I tend to spills a lot of water when I am cleaning the tanks. If I leave the bare concrete would that be a bit cold in the winter? I am thinking of raising the floor off the concrete floor and inch or two and put foam insulation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.vandiscus.ca
    For the sake of discus!

Hi John,

I have 2 dehumidifiers in hand and I am thinking of tapping into the new house heating system. The new house also come with HRS (Heat recovery system ) or heat exchanger that I can connect to that can get rid of the humidity but maintain the heat. All the tank will be cover to minimize humidity. Thanks
    Vansu
    the "free" humidity would be nice in the winter...no? in summer doesn't the AC remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by jdhuyvetter View Post
    Ditto what rickztahone said. I put a beautiful walnut hardwood floor down in an extra bedroom. A year later, had the bright idea to turn it into a fish room. Three years later, everything is out of the room and I am getting ready to rip up a very warped floor.

Go with Tile or bare concrete.
    stained concrete to a better look

The same reason I am picking the tile floor because I tend to spills a lot of water when I am cleaning the tanks. If I leave the bare concrete would that be a bit cold in the winter? I am thinking of raising the floor off the concrete floor and inch or two and put foam insulation.
    tile on top of concrete will be just as cold. i know from experience.

unless you heat the tile

Real Name
    Vansu

Hi Jack,
    In the summer it doesn't get too hot in Toronto, Canada. We have some hot days in the summer with 31-32 degree C. I planned to raise the floor off the concrete floor and insulate underneath. Thank you for the awesome suggestions guys .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.vandiscus.ca
    For the sake of discus!

Hi Jack,
    In the summer it doesn't get too hot in Toronto, Canada. We have some hot days in the summer with 31-32 degree C. I planned to raise the floor off the concrete floor and insulate underneath. Thank you for the awesome suggestions guys .
    i have seen they make waterproof laminate. i did regular laminate once, it is not cold underfoot. it was much tougher than real wood too. i would not do regular laminate near water, the fiberboard acts like a sponge and swells when wet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast