ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wattley cobalt x blue diamond

Default Re: Wattley cobalt x blue diamond

Thanks Pat! I was searching through the forum last night and saw that thread. Those are definitely the same fish. What a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Hey Eddie, I had to hunt down your thread and have a look at your Watley's. Very very nice. I could be wrong but I think there is a slight difference in our fish. I know Sadaki has at least 3 or 4 active strains based on Watley. If he said Watley X blue Diamond, I think it may be a slightly different strain. If I can go visit him soon (way overdue) I will ask him. Either way awesome strain!, and at that size I am sure they were a bit pricey. Also I think the spotted strain you are talking about are maybe his LSS 46? I have 2 of these, and one that is a cross with a LSS X. The 2 lss46 were literally bottom of the barrel (last two of the spawn) so I got a pretty good discount. They are slow growers, I assumed from a year of less than perfect maintenance from me, but maybe it is just the strain.. You know the full sized adults, (maybe he sold them) are actually sometimes much more than 500. But maybe he likes you more than me and is giving you a very good price

Anyways, very cool to see someone else with Sadaki's fish !!!
    Last edited by mee; 10-05-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Yeah, he has several blue variations. These could be different but I have 2 different type of Blues. The smaller ones are more like yours. The two larger cobalts were more expensive. He's got some really expensive/quality fish. I was on the fence about the blues or the 46 type. It was a really tough call.
    Visit Eddie's Place

It's been a little less than 2 weeks. All is good in the hood. Eating FDBWs, beefheart flake from AngelsPlus and the breeder's shrimp mix. I'm still waiting for my household goods to arrive this Friday. Then my mix will get into the regimen.

21940507786_97114de0f3_b.jpg
    Visit Eddie's Place

Mine are dubbed Watley HFSB by Sadaki, and he says they are 75-80% Watley Courelea (doubt I spelt that right) and 20-25% German Cobalt. I don't have the best memory, but I had scribbled down "shmidt focke" during one of my visits where I tried to get as much info as possible. I do believe he may have two different cobalt strains he mixed with Watley's to make it more confusing, but your larger 2 may be the same as mine. They are definitely pricey, and he has one very large male in a dark tank right of the front door, with a equally impressive female.

You are right about the lss46 being a tough call. I only got mine because they were reasonable size, and because one had a half missing ray and I suspect both were runts, and not the best color, the total for both was something like $150. At the time he had very large adults lss46 he was trying to sell for 2K each! That is why I am very curious about the ones you saw for $500. I cannot afford $500 fish let alone 2K fish anyways, but it would be interesting if he dropped some prices. He usually cuts me a deal if I buy more than 6 fish, and I never walk away with buyers remorse with his fish. I really want to get about 4-6 lss46 from a fresh brood, as that is the only way I could usually afford them. I have never seen him selling quarters, just 50cent piece sized. I suspect both of mine are females, so it would be nice to grow out at least one big male, or maybe 4, and then sell 2 or 3 for a tidy profit =)

assuming the one center stage is one of the bigger cobalts, it looks nearly identical to one of my large males, though mine tend to have a little more pattern on the upper half of the body.. but then again his large male is pretty much solid blue, so there is some variation. it's funny though, cause I am looking at your pic, and then over to the tank with my large male, and back at your pic, and the color is pretty much identical at the moment.

P.S. is AngelsPlus a local distributor?
    Last edited by mee; 10-05-2015 at 09:16 AM.

Yeah, just chatted with Sadaaki. He said mine have genes from Wattley X German cobalt and Blue Diamond.

AngelsPlus is an online company which is one of my sources for supplies, meds and foods.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Eddie, how much longer until you hit the 20 mark? Also, how's the discus selection in Japan? Always here about Thailand, S. Vietnam, Philippines, but not so much Japan.
    -Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Eddie, how much longer until you hit the 20 mark? Also, how's the discus selection in Japan? Always here about Thailand, S. Vietnam, Philippines, but not so much Japan.
    I'll hit 20 this coming June. I'll be in 22 years and 2 months as of right now. If I ever get promoted, I might stay in longer. We are enjoying Japan and we wouldn't mind staying overseas.

Discus here in Japan are amazing. I don't think the exporting is as big but the quality of fish is phenomenal. My source now has original vintage strains that he's been working with for over 25 years. There are several really good local breeders that deal with only wild types as well. I'd like to get some later on down the road.
    Visit Eddie's Place

I will second that. Amazing fish here. Even some of the bigger more family oriented shops have nice wilds at times. There are also strains imported from nearbye countries like thailand, china, malaysia, vietnam, etc.. One of the nicest and most elaborate pages of discus I found in Japan was a local breeder who was mixing and matching wild and non wild strains while documenting very well what came from what with photo's. I contacted him about a few strains, but he does not sell any of them. Just about made me cry as some of those fish would undoubtedly rock the discus world. Lots of Halo's Lot's of heckel like stripes, lots of color. If I can dig up the link I will post it, but I suspect it is lost to an old system I cleared.

A little FDBW action during their water change.

22047408881_016347ce4b_b.jpg

22011294596_1c590d2c3e_b.jpg
    Visit Eddie's Place

Real Name
    Jacklyn

beautiful fish, the greenish blue sheen they have is quite different and beautiful. these will most certainly turn out perfect in your care.
    ~JACKLYN~

Thanks Jacklyn. I'm excited about these. I've always wanted some really nice vintage blues. A tank full of them full grown will be quite a sight.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Real Name
    Fred

Hey Eddie, These guys are looking good, I mean really good
    Looking forward to see these guys grow

Cheers,
    Fred

Thanks Fred. I appreciate it.

Eddie