AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Our new 55g discus tank, and others

Default Our new 55g discus tank, and others

Hello everyone! I'm new here and my wife and I just got 4 new juvenile discus. I've been a long time lurker but finally wanted to join. I've done a lot of research even though we're starting our discus in a planted tank. Definitely keeping up the WCs and have another filter on the way.

We plan to add one more discus, a school of Cardinals, and a small school of cory cats. These fish are so beautiful!

These are my wife and I's 3 planted tanks. We have 4 total, but the other one is still a work in progress and won't be planted.

We have 2 55s, and a 20 in these photos.

The 20 high is currently all RCS and BN pleco hatchery.

55#1 is my community with:
    1 angel
    8 rummy nose tetras
    8 harlequin raspboras
    8 to 10 baby black mollies
    3 Bolivian rams
    5 angelicus loaches
    8 julii cories
    6 bn plecos (about to get rid of all but 1)

This tank is probably overstocked and will discus further down.

55#2 is my wife's new discus tank, and my favorite tank I've ever had. It currently has 4 juvenile discus and 2 baby BN plecos. It was replanted this weekend after I tossed all my plants due to bga taking over. I had no fish and no nitrates in it, so I'm thinking that's what happened.

So with my 55 community I'm wanting to start over as I'm not very happy with the stocking. Would this be good?

4 angels
    15 Cardinals or rummy nose
    Pair of GBR
    5 Angelicus loaches
    8 julii cories

And for my 20g, I'm done raising BN plecos. So I'm wanting to add fish. I thought about having it as a dedicated GBR tank, but halfway want to keep my huge colony of rcs. What would be a good idea for this 20g?

Thanks!

Default Re: Our new 55g discus tank, and others

Here's a few close ups of our little guys. They're doing great! The red Marlboro has much more color now that he's settled in and is eating like crazy. I haven't seen hardly any flakes go to waste. They find and eat everything! Have some discus Hans pellets coming in tomorrow and will be adding 1 more discus. Could we possibly add 2 more making a total of 6, and add a few cories and Cardinals or Rummy Nose tetras? Around 10 or 12 tetras and 6 cories?

Thanks

And finishing out the tank, we picked up these 2 gorgeous fish today. Sold 9 baby BN plecos and got $20 for them. Ended up paying $129 total for these 2. They're about 4 almost 5 inches!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Meshell

Your tanks are beautiful. I would love to see an update.

Real Name
    Filip

I didnt understand in which tank you put the discus ? How many of them you got at what size and in how many gallons?.
    Its also good to focus on giving more information on the discus tank so we can get the whole picture .
    Btw your plant tank Number 2 is lovely .

Sorry for the confusion guys! We had 6 discus, now down to 5. I bought a really bad stock blue diamond which I didn't know at first. The rest are doing excellent and are growing nicely. They're in a 55. We plan to replace the blue diamond with a red melon.

We have 2 neon tetras, a few amano shrimp, and a few nerite snails with them. Plan on adding a school of Cardinal tetras and possibly some Cory cats. I removed the BN plecos from the discus tank.

Water changes are 50 to 80% every other day.

Here's the updates!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Those 2 turqs look rather stressed out.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

They have stripes but never act stressed and are probably the most active and most aggressive for food. They've grown a bit since we got them.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Parker View Post
    They have stripes but never act stressed and are probably the most active and most aggressive for food. They've grown a bit since we got them.
    Those super dark stress bars say otherwise.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I see those bars on almost every turquoise I see. The only time they disappear is when they're fighting the others away for food.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Parker View Post
    I see those bars on almost every turquoise I see. The only time they disappear is when they're fighting the others away for food.
    You are absolutely right . Enjoy your weekend!

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Filip

The term stress bar , clearly stresses what they mean . Thats why they are called that way .
    And it should be Vice versa , more stressed when fighting for food , and less when they relax.