ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Levamisole, Metronidazole and praziquantel -- Do they Kill parasites?

Registered Member

Default Levamisole, Metronidazole and praziquantel -- Do they Kill parasites?

Hello:

So I have quarantined some fish and placed into my larger tank when I noticed they were a bit shy once introduced to it. to be on the safe side I am treating the entire tank for parasites. That being said, I think I read somewhere that Levamisole, Metronidazole and praziquantel only "stun" the parasites and you need to gravel vacuum them up before the fish re-ingest them.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this? I'd really like to know...

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Levamisole, Metronidazole and praziquantel -- Do they Kill parasites?

Hi,
    I always treat in a barebottom tank and clean it well so the fish don't reingest tapeworm parts or eggs. These can reinfect the fish. Also if there are capillaria eggs expelled and reingested they get reinfected with nematodes.

hth
    Ardan

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Levamisole, Metronidazole and praziquantel -- Do they Kill parasites?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardan View Post
    Hi,
    I always treat in a barebottom tank and clean it well so the fish don't reingest tapeworm parts or eggs. These can reinfect the fish. Also if there are capillaria eggs expelled and reingested they get reinfected with nematodes.

hth
    Ardan
    This is one of the many reasons to NOT feed fish during medication as well.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ardan View Post
    Hi,

hth
    Ardan
    Well my issue is a bit more serious than that. I'm thinking I may have parasites in my large tank which is a 115g planted tank. I simply don't have the money, time, nor patience to break it down and re-set it up again.

It's actually quite difficult to have a parasite free community tank. You could definitely take some preliminary measures by medicating the fish in a quarantine tank prior to introducing them to the display tank. Additionally, you could scope the fish and feces for verification prior to moving them. From that point on, you would have to be extremely strict about introducing new fish. It's really about how far you want to take it. There is always a risk for error. You can never have a 100% parasite/bacteria free system.

As far as metro, levamisole or prazi killing parasites. They do kill specific parasites.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    It's actually quite difficult to have a parasite free community tank. ... You can never have a 100% parasite/bacteria free system.

As far as metro, levamisole or prazi killing parasites. They do kill specific parasites.
    That's good to know. And comforting that seasoned people who have aquariums don't have 100% 'perfect' tanks. And thanks for the info on Metro, Prazi, and Levamisole. I often wondered which parasites they kill, don't kill

Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreaker View Post
    That's good to know. And comforting that seasoned people who have aquariums don't have 100% 'perfect' tanks. And thanks for the info on Metro, Prazi, and Levamisole. I often wondered which parasites they kill, don't kill
    That's actually a great question. A lot of people use a medication without ever even knowing what it actually does or how it works.

Each of the chemicals you listed has a specific target and it would be wise to use them for that reason.

Keep in mind, some organisms have life cycles so it may seem like they are impossible to kill but they are just harder to deal with.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    That's actually a great question. ... Each of the chemicals you listed has a specific target and it would be wise to use them for that reason.

Keep in mind, some organisms have life cycles so it may seem like they are impossible to kill but they are just harder to deal with.
    Any in particular that are harder to kill than most? Also I have a major variable with having a planted tank so I have to be a little more careful

Anything with a life cycle will be harder because you'll have to break it. Stubborn issues are flukes, certain nematodes and flagellates.
    Visit Eddie's Place